TV: Survivor 44

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I think Carolyn deserved the win simply because she was by far the most interesting character but without being devious. She overcame an emotional, awkward, sometimes crazy personality, and still managed to get herself to the end. That to me was very impressive. And she may come off as a blonde airhead at times, but she is definitely not. She is one smart woman. She just manifests intelligence differently than most people.

There's a scene in some old movie I can't recall the name of where some kid is playing a chess grandmaster. The grandmaster is overly confident and is essentially mocking the kid. Then, the kid checkmates the grandmaster. That's Carolyn. Never underestimate her.

Most of the other contestants, including Yam Yam, were as dynamic as porridge. I can't believe no one voted for Carolyn. She overcame more than anyone, herself, and isn't that one of the core tenets of Survivor?

"Did I think that my personality would get me... (this far), no, I didn't!" — Carolyn

In fact, isn't it ironic that during the finale and discussion afterwards, that more people spoke favorably about Carolyn than they did about Yam Yam, but no one voted for Carolyn? What the hell is up with that?

A good finale, with some great moments, and after watching the finale it changed my mind about calling this the worst season ever, but Probst's dedication to overall turning the show into a gimmick fest with safe contestants is ruining it. It's getting close to where you pull the Winchester off the wall and Old Yeller this beloved but sick old dog.

"Maybe there are red X's this year." — Jeff Probst

'nuff said.

Last edited:

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
I miss when survivor was about strength, featuring handsome alpha males (Joe, Jeremy, Tony, Colby, etc) and strong, beautiful women (culpepper, tasha, Parvati, Wentworth), or blue collar people (Keith, George, Carl). Now that survivor has gone woke, they seek out to fill their quota as opposed to casting the best players possible. The show, in my opinion, has been negatively affected by their new casting decisions. The game is too easy now.

I have watched every episode the night it airs since season 26. Ever since 39, the show keeps slipping. Thank goodness for the most recent season of Survivor Australia.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I've said it before in these threads but I'm so sick of Figi and I looked at the casting calls for season 47 and it's Fiji yet again so we are stuck with Fiji for at least another 3 seasons. I just can't stand seeing the same place over and over, I get they are saving money but it's hurt the show the most to me besides the ridiculous gimmicks.

They need to go back to having a final 2 as well. The last like 4 seasons have been a 7-1-0 vote I believe.

The preview for next season at least had 1 guy claiming to be a villain. I hope it's true cause this show is desperately missing some villains. I'm absolutely tired of the kumbaya everyone gets along nonsense. Also tired of everyone having some sort of sad story or emotional story. Can we just get some regular folks who wanna be devious and play the damn game?

Reactions: BIeucheeseWithWings

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I miss when survivor was about strength, featuring handsome alpha males (Joe, Jeremy, Tony, Colby, etc) and strong, beautiful women (culpepper, tasha, Parvati, Wentworth), or blue collar people (Keith, George, Carl). Now that survivor has gone woke, they seek out to fill their quota as opposed to casting the best players possible. The show, in my opinion, has been negatively affected by their new casting decisions. The game is too easy now.

I have watched every episode the night it airs since season 26. Ever since 39, the show keeps slipping. Thank goodness for the most recent season of Survivor Australia.
You've made me feel a little ashamed. I wanted to say something similar but in this politically correct, woke climate we now live in I sometimes avoid saying things like that just to avoid the criticism I usually end up receiving for not being woke.

I miss when a guy like Richard Hatch would walk around naked among the women because he's a dispshit. It was entertaining. Would that happen now? Not a chance. People would call for him to be arrested and there would be calls for boycotting the show.

I miss when Rudy the old marine would say inappropriate shit. Would that happen now? Not a chance. Rudy would be shamed on social media and there would be calls for boycotting the show.

I miss the days when racist John Rocker was a contestant and Survivor wasn't afraid to go there. Would that happen now? Not a chance. People would call for boycotting the show.

I miss the days when Survivor picked the best contestants, period. Now, Survivor is about playing it safe, checking off all the boxes on their politically correct quota card, and being sure not to offend.

Oh, I know I'm gonna regret this.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
None of the people you mentioned were the best contestants. They were just the most offensive and obnoxious. That's not good television, that's just Real Housewives or Bachelor-type shit.

If you want alpha males, go watch Alive.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
You've made me feel a little ashamed. I wanted to say something similar but in this politically correct, woke climate we now live in I sometimes avoid saying things like that just to avoid the criticism I usually end up receiving for not being woke.

I miss when a guy like Richard Hatch would walk around naked among the women because he's a dispshit. It was entertaining. Would that happen now? Not a chance. People would call for him to be arrested and there would be calls for boycotting the show.

I miss when Rudy the old marine would say inappropriate shit. Would that happen now? Not a chance. Rudy would be shamed on social media and there would be calls for boycotting the show.

I miss the days when racist John Rocker was a contestant and Survivor wasn't afraid to go there. Would that happen now? Not a chance. People would call for boycotting the show.

I miss the days when Survivor picked the best contestants, period. Now, Survivor is about playing it safe, checking off all the boxes on their politically correct quota card, and being sure not to offend.

Oh, I know I'm gonna regret this.
We just had Dan on survivor 39, you musta loved him!

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think Carolyn deserved the win simply because she was by far the most interesting character but without being devious. She overcame an emotional, awkward, sometimes crazy personality, and still managed to get herself to the end. That to me was very impressive. And she may come off as a blonde airhead at times, but she is definitely not. She is one smart woman. She just manifests intelligence differently than most people.

There's a scene in some old movie I can't recall the name of where some kid is playing a chess grandmaster. The grandmaster is overly confident and is essentially mocking the kid. Then, the kid checkmates the grandmaster. That's Carolyn. Never underestimate her.

Most of the other contestants, including Yam Yam, were as dynamic as porridge. I can't believe no one voted for Carolyn. She overcame more than anyone, herself, and isn't that one of the core tenets of Survivor?

"Did I think that my personality would get me... (this far), no, I didn't!" — Carolyn

In fact, isn't it ironic that during the finale and discussion afterwards, that more people spoke favorably about Carolyn than they did about Yam Yam, but no one voted for Carolyn? What the hell is up with that?

A good finale, with some great moments, and after watching the finale it changed my mind about calling this the worst season ever, but Probst's dedication to overall turning the show into a gimmick fest with safe contestants is ruining it. It's getting close to where you pull the Winchester off the wall and Old Yeller this beloved but sick old dog.

"Maybe there are red X's this year." — Jeff Probst

'nuff said.
I don't think any contestant should ever win just because they have an interesting personality... that's so far from the spirit and purpose of this game. Carolyn was love-able, but she was clearly under the wing of Yam Yam and Carson. She was the 3rd fiddle behind 2 other players who were running the show.

Your analogy of Carolyn defeating a grandmaster in chess is a bit puzzling to me. She never won any individual challenges as far as I remember, and she never orchestrated any major moves. She had no argument at final aside from "well, I was emotional and I was just my usual weird self". No one voted for her because she didn't do anything to deserve winning the game. The only reason it wasn't unanimous for Yam Yam is because Danny wanted to vote for his buddy Heidi.

Yam Yam was on the chopping block a lot and was able to maneuver gracefully, and orchestrated the removal of like 4 or 5 people in a row who voted for him. He and Carson were running pretty much that entire game.

Seems like you enjoy dramatic TV for shock value or offensive content just for the sake of it more than the actual game of Survivor. The ratings are through the roof, and the gameplay is improving over the past few seasons, so much for a "sick old dog"... maybe you should just pivot your attention to a different program.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I don't think any contestant should ever win just because they have an interesting personality... that's so far from the spirit and purpose of this game. Carolyn was love-able, but she was clearly under the wing of Yam Yam and Carson. She was the 3rd fiddle behind 2 other players who were running the show.

Your analogy of Carolyn defeating a grandmaster in chess is a bit puzzling to me. She never won any individual challenges as far as I remember, and she never orchestrated any major moves. She had no argument at final aside from "well, I was emotional and I was just my usual weird self". No one voted for her because she didn't do anything to deserve winning the game. The only reason it wasn't unanimous for Yam Yam is because Danny wanted to vote for his buddy Heidi.

Yam Yam was on the chopping block a lot and was able to maneuver gracefully, and orchestrated the removal of like 4 or 5 people in a row who voted for him. He and Carson were running pretty much that entire game.

Seems like you enjoy dramatic TV for shock value or offensive content just for the sake of it more than the actual game of Survivor. The ratings are through the roof, and the gameplay is improving over the past few seasons, so much for a "sick old dog"... maybe you should just pivot your attention to a different program.

If you can't understand why I think an oddball like Carolyn, a very unusual woman who overcame an unusual personality and made it to the very end is not a substantial accomplishment for one to achieve, and in my opinion made her the most deserving contestant, then I cannot help you. It's my opinion. You critique her game, yet she made it to the very end in spite of her weird personality. Isn't that the goal of the game which so many fail at and which so few achieve?

And this thread contains many comments where like me, people claim Survivor is well past its due date and that gimmicks have ruined it. I assume you are also directing your comments towards them. Look around. You'll see them so you can quote them too.

Also, maybe you should not advise me of what I should or should not watch. If you want to assume I've taken your advice, put me on ignore. That way when you can no longer see me you can pretend I give a rat's ass about your opinion of what I should watch.

You were doing so well. It was a substantial and worthy post until you started giving me crap advice. I like you, but you're not my advisor.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
None of the people you mentioned were the best contestants. They were just the most offensive and obnoxious. That's not good television, that's just Real Housewives or Bachelor-type shit.

If you want alpha males, go watch Alive.
Norman Lear, the creator of one of the most popular television series of all time and whose star character was a racist and a misogynist, would tend to disagree. More about that below.

Alive was a movie about a plane crash in the Andes. If you're talking about Alone, I already watch it. It began its run in the same remote areas of Vancouver Island where I have lived and worked. I actually applied for a part-time gig as a species identification expert because they were getting a few wrong. Never heard back from them.

In the meantime, throw up the quote where I said they were the best contestants. I said, or at least implied, they were interesting and made for good entertainment. That appears to be to some of you an indicator of misogyny and racism.

As for your comment about alpha males and what you think I should be watching, my response to you is the same as what is directly above in the third paragraph in my response to Rodgerwilco. In fact it is likely my favourite Survivor contestants are very similar to your favourites: Ozzy, Yul, Colby, Kim Spradlin, Tom Westman, Ethan, Tina, Natalie Anderson, and so on. I like a combination of smarts, skill, and physical ability. Male or female, gay or straight, POC or white, I don't give a shit. Just have all the tools. That's why I hate all the gimmicks so much. A person can have all of those tools, but can still be voted out through no fault of their own because of a gimmick Probst has thrown into the game.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
If you're entertained by racists and misogynists and pining for the old days, that says more about you than CBS contestant screening.

The fact that three clueless people liked that post is a severe indictment of critical thinking within this thread.

All in the Family is one of the most popular television series of all time, loved to this day by tens of millions of people. You are clearly in the minority.

All in the Family spotlighted racism and misogyny, thus developing an important platform where it was okay to critique and laugh at the ugliness, and where it could be rationally discussed by rational people. I do not believe in being deliberately "protected" from racists and misogynists and what they do or say. I do though believe that in people's racism and misogyny that humor and entertainment can also be found, as All in Family proved and continues to prove to this day. I am not afraid of being entertained by racists and misogynists. If you are afraid of reality and go so far as to see people as racists and misogynists and call them names as you essentially did to me, and where your comment was endorsed by others but where my only crime was to acknowledge racism and misogyny and what everyone already knows exists, then all of your problems run far deeper than mine.

I mean, what was it? Was it where I said Rudy said "inappropriate shit" that triggered you and got you traveling down the road to thinking I'm a racist or a bigot? Do you know what "Inappropriate" means, and that in the context I used it in it is actually an antonym for one being a racist or a bigot or a misogynist?

Was it when I said "racist John Rocker"? Was that what set you down the path assuming someone like myself who recognizes a clear racist is a racist himself? Has your understanding of what racism is been compromised? If so, well howdy, pardner. We are united in our racism. I'll take point and blaze the trail, because you appear to be a little frightened of the reality that lies ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I write one sentence, not even directed at you, and you reply with multiple paragraphs, and yet I'm the triggered one?

🤷

Anyway, Jeff needs to calm down with the gimmicks but he'll see the ratings as validation so they aren't going anywhere (they may even increase), so if a worthy contestant gets caught up by one I guess you can just add them to the collateral damage pile.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I write one sentence, not even directed at you, and you reply with multiple paragraphs, and yet I'm the triggered one?

🤷

Anyway, Jeff needs to calm down with the gimmicks but he'll see the ratings as validation so they aren't going anywhere (they may even increase), so if a worthy contestant gets caught up by one I guess you can just add them to the collateral damage pile.
The twist of the season should be no-twists but maybe one or two immunity idols.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The twist of the season should be no-twists but maybe one or two immunity idols.

I said long ago a season with no hidden idols without telling the players would be great.

Also, I would love a season where the tribes change after every vote out. THAT would be a real test of your social game

Reactions: Jovavic

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
How long would paranoia run wild until they realized.....shit.....there's nothing? A week? 10 days?
I don't know if they ever would. They might never stop looking which would make for some fantastic entertainment. Trust of other contestants would be totally out the window.

Again, it's the greatest idea ever. All I had was give us more interesting characters, get rid of hidden immunity idols and all the other gimmicks and make them start eating bugs again like they did back in the early days. Your idea is straight-up diabolical - like a Bond villain. I'm ready to become your henchman, track Probst down, lock us all in a room together and force him to listen to you under threat of being thrown into a shark tank if he doesn't.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It was an incredibly weak final 3, that's for sure. No real game-beakers or strategic threats or challenge beasts or backstabbers. Pretty boring all around. I said this on the last page but they need to trim the gimmicks and overflow of advantages and change up the casting process a bit. The show is still fun and I won't stop watching but the casting feel like the same carbon copy, check a list approach the last little while.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If you can't understand why I think an oddball like Carolyn, a very unusual woman who overcame an unusual personality and made it to the very end is not a substantial accomplishment for one to achieve, and in my opinion made her the most deserving contestant, then I cannot help you. It's my opinion. You critique her game, yet she made it to the very end in spite of her weird personality. Isn't that the goal of the game which so many fail at and which so few achieve?

And this thread contains many comments where like me, people claim Survivor is well past its due date and that gimmicks have ruined it. I assume you are also directing your comments towards them. Look around. You'll see them so you can quote them too.

Also, maybe you should not advise me of what I should or should not watch. If you want to assume I've taken your advice, put me on ignore. That way when you can no longer see me you can pretend I give a rat's ass about your opinion of what I should watch.

You were doing so well. It was a substantial and worthy post until you started giving me crap advice. I like you, but you're not my advisor.
I think everything Carolyn did on a personal level within the game was wonderful. Jeff often points out the personal growth that people experience on the show as one of the greatest things about the game. She's a great person and I'd love to meet her and congratulate her on her game. But the spirit of Survivor isn't about who is the most interesting person. Overcoming her own weird personality while being shielded by two stronger players just isn't winner material, the players this season seemed to agree. I think she would probably agree as well.

It was simply a suggestion friend, I meant no offense by it. You don't have to care about my opinion anymore than anyone else needs to care about anyone else's opinion... You just really seem to not like the show, you even suggested yourself that it's about time for the show to be "old yeller'd"... I'm not sure where the vitriol aimed at me in your response is coming from.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I think everything Carolyn did on a personal level within the game was wonderful. Jeff often points out the personal growth that people experience on the show as one of the greatest things about the game. She's a great person and I'd love to meet her and congratulate her on her game. But the spirit of Survivor isn't about who is the most interesting person. Overcoming her own weird personality while being shielded by two stronger players just isn't winner material, the players this season seemed to agree. I think she would probably agree as well.

It was simply a suggestion friend, I meant no offense by it. You don't have to care about my opinion anymore than anyone else needs to care about anyone else's opinion... You just really seem to not like the show, you even suggested yourself that it's about time for the show to be "old yeller'd"... I'm not sure where the vitriol aimed at me in your response is coming from.
Well, in my post above that got all the crap started, I said I was likely going to regret posting it. You laughed at the post, and then went on to prove me right and regret my honesty. You certainly weren't alone though and there were far worse comments where I was essentially accused of being a racist and a misogynist, and possibly a bigot although I'm not sure about the last one. In fact, looking back now, if what you said had been said in a vacuum where I wasn't being attacked on all sides, I likely would have never got my back up about it. So, sorry about that.

But listen, I've seen the "Go watch something else then" comments before, said by many people to many different people. I kind of see them akin to, "If you don't like my country, go find somewhere else." No one needs to hear that, either as highly offensive as that is when it's said out of racism or politics, or even when it's just used as an argument about a TV show. As benign as your comment was in comparison, I can make up my own mind about what I want to watch.

In post #13 of this thread I said about Survivor, "It's like that codeine habit I developed in my 20s where eventually it didn't make me feel good anymore. I couldn't understand why I was still using it, but I couldn't stop."

We're cool, but I hope this is the last time I have to address someone who tells me to go watch something else. There are parts of Survivor I hate, but there are parts where I'm surprised and I still enjoy it, like this season's finale which I thought was excellent. Drug references aside, that's enough to keep me going for now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad