TV: Survivor 44

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Call me a cynic, call me the worst person on the planet, I don't care. Matthew just wanted to save face and go home.
He definitely doesn't strike me as that kind of person. I think he desperately wanted to play the game, but really just couldn't deal with the pain. Before he even mentioned it I was already thinking that it's crazy trying to recover from an injury like that in such a bad environment. He's getting just a few hundred calories a day, no ice, no pain relievers, not even the basic comforts.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He played for 8 days with it and had about 20 more days to go. My shoulder is so f***ed up from old injuries I literally couldn't spend a night on a beach as I live my every day, much less try to do right after the injury happens.

"He didn't want to leave," said Probst on the podcast. "And even though medical didn't pull him and he left on his own, it's not a quit."

While the host says the decision to leave the game was ultimately Matthew's, he believes it was the correct one to make: "The guy was in intense pain, and even our Dr. Will said, 'I don't blame him. I mean, I'm not going to pull you because it's not life or death, but I get why you're doing that.'"

As for the player himself, Probst credits him for going all out, making a big impact on the show, and, ultimately, thinking about his long-term health. "I like Matthew. He came. He played hard. And he made the right choice. He has a family and a career that he needs to look after."

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Call me a cynic, call me the worst person on the planet, I don't care. Matthew just wanted to save face and go home.
matthew-grinstead-mayle-survivor-44-interview

I fractured my humerus; a piece of that broke off and had to be removed. I fractured my scapula, which had to be reattached, I tore my rotator cuff. I tore my labrum, which is the lining of your shoulder. I shifted the cartilage within the joint, and my subscapularis muscle had to be reattached. So the amount of pain that I was in was the worst I've ever experienced in my life.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
matthew-grinstead-mayle-survivor-44-interview

I fractured my humerus; a piece of that broke off and had to be removed. I fractured my scapula, which had to be reattached, I tore my rotator cuff. I tore my labrum, which is the lining of your shoulder. I shifted the cartilage within the joint, and my subscapularis muscle had to be reattached. So the amount of pain that I was in was the worst I've ever experienced in my life.

And none of those injuries come close to the pain I've endured, not even remotely close. An injured shoulder isn't even on my radar.

With Probst defending Matthew in the article you posted, it seems likely I'm not the only person who thinks he may have packed it in because he wanted to. I doubt Probst would be defending him had there not been some opinions floating around that are similar to mine. Turns out I can't be the worst person on the planet after all.

Look, I don't know what was in Matthew's heart and neither do you. He wasn't pulled from the game by medical, he left on his own. I've been through far worse pain and I doubt I would leave voluntarily. He volunteered to potentially leave $1,000,000 behind. I can tolerate one f*** of a lot of pain for a million bucks and I think most people could. That's why I am suspect. However, @Rodgerwilco made a couple of great points about him "getting just a few hundred calories a day, no ice, no pain relievers." That's worth considering on my part. I'm not certain he wasn't provided with ice or painkillers but I'll take Rodger's word for it. The food thing is a big deal and a great point he made. It's difficult to heal when you're not eating properly. But still, Spin, a million bucks. Enduring pain for maybe three more weeks vs making yourself comfortable for the rest of your life.

But no, I don't know for certain and neither do you. There is only one person who knows the answer to that. Am I willing to give Matthew the benefit of the doubt? Sure, why not, particularly in light of Rodger's comments which have swayed me a little. But damn, a million bucks!

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
He shouldn't have been climbing up on that rock for no reason when he knew a million bucks could possibly be gone immediately if he got injured. He even said it himself at the end of the show that he regretted it. It also could have been a much worse injury if he fell a bit differently and he got lucky that it wasn't worse.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
With Probst defending Matthew in the article you posted, it seems likely I'm not the only person who thinks he may have packed it in because he wanted to. I doubt Probst would be defending him had there not been some opinions floating around that are similar to mine. Turns out I can't be the worst person on the planet after all.

"People MUST be questioning this"........presents zero evidence......"turns out many other people are like me".

Search twitter for "Matthew Survivor44 Quit" and want to know the millions of people who think that? Zero. Not a single tweet calling him a quitter.

Just you.

You're special

And none of those injuries come close to the pain I've endured, not even remotely close. An injured shoulder isn't even on my radar.

Nobody cares, by the way.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
"People MUST be questioning this"........presents zero evidence......"turns out many other people are like me".

Search twitter for "Matthew Survivor44 Quit" and want to know the millions of people who think that? Zero. Not a single tweet calling him a quitter.

Just you.

You're special

Nobody cares, by the way.

Ad hominem personal attacks. I never figured you for that. What the f*** has gotten into you? This is only a dumb TV show we're talking about.

You also attributed two quotes to me: "People MUST be questioning this," and, "turns out many other people are like me". I never said either of those things. You are either being purposely deceptive or you don't understand the proper usage of quotation marks.

But I did follow your suggestion and searched Twitter using your keywords.

That's not zero.

A bonus tweet for you.

Did you really think I wouldn't call your bluff?

Whether or not Matthew just realized the game wasn't for him, or he couldn't take the pain, I don't know. It may be neither and you may be right. Bottom line though, you and I are essentially arguing over how much pain one can take before quitting. I am saying I don't give a flying f*** how much pain I'm in, unless I'm voted off or ordered off due to medical reasons, I'm not trading some pain that would last a couple weeks for a million dollars which would last me the rest of my life. That's what Matthew did. He was neither voted off nor was he ordered off. He quit.

Finally: "Nobody cares, by the way."

We were discussing injuries here. In fact, you brought up your own injuries first in post #54. I countered you. I suffered injuries the likes of which you cannot even fathom and which have left me permanently disabled, and you belittle me because of it.

What is going on with you?

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He quit, but he quit due to his injuries. Hes not the first person to leave the game on his own accord due to various circumstances. He didn't leave because he didnt want to be in the game anymore, not sure how anyone that paid attention to this season could say that. The dude was crying after he fell just thinking about the possibility of having to leave the game due to his own stupidity (which ended up happening).

I'm sure he will be invited back for a future season, Jeff seems to love the guy.

Also, he required surgery afterwards to fix his shoulder, so its pretty obvious this was a major injury and was in constant pain. This wasn't like Tyson hurting his shoulder and it getting better by the time the season is over.

So I have to ask how your shoulder is doing today, considering the considerable amount of injury it suffered. Is your full range of motion back?
Yes, I had surgery in mid-November last year, I went through an extensive amount of physical therapy; I'm still doing physical therapy. Luckily, I am probably two months ahead of where I should be. My doctors are treating me like a college athlete. I'm dealing with the OSU Sports Medicine network, and they have been phenomenal. They've cleared me to do full body movements and get back to what is my sport, which is Survivor. And so I'm back in full training mode. I'm back in the gym, I've got my arm back, and I couldn't be happier. And I'm back to training for Survivor. I want that second chance. I like my workouts. I like the variety that I bring into my workouts in preparation for Survivor, so I'm back to it.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
He quit, but he quit due to his injuries. Hes not the first person to leave the game on his own accord due to various circumstances. He didn't leave because he didnt want to be in the game anymore, not sure how anyone that paid attention to this season could say that. The dude was crying after he fell just thinking about the possibility of having to leave the game due to his own stupidity (which ended up happening).

I'm sure he will be invited back for a future season, Jeff seems to love the guy.

Also, he required surgery afterwards to fix his shoulder, so its pretty obvious this was a major injury and was in constant pain. This wasn't like Tyson hurting his shoulder and it getting better by the time the season is over.
He shouldn't have been climbing up on that rock for no reason when he knew a million bucks could possibly be gone immediately if he got injured. He even said it himself at the end of the show that he regretted it. It also could have been a much worse injury if he fell a bit differently and he got lucky that it wasn't worse.
As soon as he started climbing that rock I said out loud that he was going to get messed up out there... within seconds after that he fell lol.

Love to see how motivated he is to come back. Really would love to see this guy on another season.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Haven't they had enough injured people to fill a whole season of contestants by now? Call it "Never Voted Out" and lean into their stories of heartbreak of getting injured on the show and the work they put it in to try again.

I think 14 of the 18 players pulled from the game were men. (and nobody wants Skupin back). :)

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Haven't they had enough injured people to fill a whole season of contestants by now? Call it "Never Voted Out" and lean into their stories of heartbreak of getting injured on the show and the work they put it in to try again.
Would definitely be an interesting game I guess lol.

Like Fan vs. Favorites, but Half the cast of people who were injured and half new players.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
id also wonder if they were like

listen matthew next weeks challenge will
be impossible for you, and will make the “merge” challenge pointless. please drop out

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Survivor apparently going to 90 minutes next season, great idea, need to learn more about people and not 20 minutes talking about twists
I fear they will just spend that extra time on my fluff like advantages or going to that f***in island. Also with it now being 26 days, there is just way less content to grab from.

In the past I've always been for longer episodes but based on the 40+ seasons I have my doubts of this being a good thing... Just give us 39 days again already and stop being so goddamn cheap

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
I guess it may be easy to say comfortably sitting on your couch and not playing the game but Frannie not dropping her ball after winning immunity on her side was dumb. She could've saved her #1, and also try to kick out Danny which they talked about before the challenge.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Survivor apparently going to 90 minutes next season, great idea, need to learn more about people and not 20 minutes talking about twists
Are we sure they aren't just going to cut the season length down from 15 to 10 eps (or whatever the amount of eps are)?

I'm all for 90 minute eps, but they need to do a little bit of an overhaul on the game. I would die for a new location, but I guess that isn't happening anytime soon.

Still not happy about them reducing the days from 39 to 26 or whatever it is.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Don't know if it made any difference but Matt was dumb for revealing he had a bag of tricks.
I don't think it made any difference. Everyone knew about his "idol" most of them even knew it was fake. The only other 'trick' was the shot in the dark, which everyone has.
I guess it may be easy to say comfortably sitting on your couch and not playing the game but Frannie not dropping her ball after winning immunity on her side was dumb. She could've saved her #1, and also try to kick out Danny which they talked about before the challenge.
Yeah, in retrospect it really was not the best move for her game to win that competition completely. I wonder if she even considered that in the moment. I feel like she probably didn't think that she could have beat those other 4 to begin with, but then when it came closer and closer she was just focused on wanting to win.

Are we sure they aren't just going to cut the season length down from 15 to 10 eps (or whatever the amount of eps are)?

I'm all for 90 minute eps, but they need to do a little bit of an overhaul on the game. I would die for a new location, but I guess that isn't happening anytime soon.

Still not happy about them reducing the days from 39 to 26 or whatever it is.
I think they need to start looking toward Australian Survivor to be honest. The challenges are better and the longer game adds a more intense element.

The fact that Carson has 3D printed and practiced multiple puzzles that he was presented with before coming is pretty ridiculous. Good on him and amazing preparation, but it really highlights how mindlessly predictable the game is at this point.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Here in Quebec, we have the first season ever of our own Survivor. It's been 2 weeks now with 4 eliminations (show is very night from Sunday to Thursday), and only 2 advantages have appeared, with very tough clues to find the idols. I'm reassured by that. No gimmicks.

Also filmed in the Philippines so it's nice to see something different than Fiji

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
1681472985170.png

Pretty much me anytime I watch this show nowadays. If i didnt watch this show from the very start i doubt i'd still be watching. I was able to finally cut out watching BB and I wonder if that will happen with survivor eventually. Wtf is Jeff turning this show into. Man is literally mad and turning it into the Jeff Probst's show. WTF were those 2 final statements he let Matt and Jam Jam have? Man is just trying to turn survivor into his own little type of therapy its so cringe. And he has no desire to change anything based on feedback. Hes always so defensive and thinks his ideas are the best and what the fans want.

The fact that Carson has 3D printed and practiced multiple puzzles that he was presented with before coming is pretty ridiculous. Good on him and amazing preparation, but it really highlights how mindlessly predictable the game is at this point.
The issue is Jeff loves this shit. The guy cannot contain his excitement when he hears someone recreated a survivor puzzle and practiced it at home.

Rob did a good job talking about it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad