TV: Survivor 44

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Its unwatchable at this point. I’m a massive survivor fan, i’ve rewatched every season multiple times, read survivor info almost daily for 10 years, but I give up after last week.

Really saddened by the state of the show, but thank god Aussie survivor is as good as it is, as a replacement.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I really don't get the purpose of them throwing a twist into every single nook and cranny of this show. It's just ridiculous. I understand they want to throw a wrench into things, but not every single facet of the game needs to have a twist.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Keith was fun to watch...

I really don't get the purpose of them throwing a twist into every single nook and cranny of this show. It's just ridiculous. I understand they want to throw a wrench into things, but not every single facet of the game needs to have a twist.

Former player Malcolm had a good theory, not sure if it's 100% right, but he said something to the affect of that all this could be coming from CBS themselves. "You have to keep things new!! After 40 seasons, we don't want the same thing every year, give us surprises!!"

They still have to sell the show to CBS, maybe this is how they did it?

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Keith was great. As much as Survivor tries to up the twists and advantages that it become hard to follow at times, the show's heart is the people who wind up on it, and seeing them interact with each other. Keith was authentic and the best kind of Survivor because he made you want to root for him and his personality. The show needs to get back to letting episodes breath and giving the Survivors actual profiles and room to endear themselves to the audience.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
"People ask me if Survivor's fun. I tell em 'hell no'. Survivor ain't fun. Going on a cruise is fun."

RIP Keith. One of the most wholesome contestants to ever compete on the show.

Reactions: Gains

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Keith was fun to watch...

Former player Malcolm had a good theory, not sure if it's 100% right, but he said something to the affect of that all this could be coming from CBS themselves. "You have to keep things new!! After 40 seasons, we don't want the same thing every year, give us surprises!!"

They still have to sell the show to CBS, maybe this is how they did it?

If you listen to Jeff probsts podcast (I don't but listen to other stuff that have talked about stuff said in there) he just absolutely loves these twists. And there's no one on production that will push back against his ideas. And when someone doesn't like his ideas he gets defensive. He's turned survivor into his personal toy. He's trying to recreate the jaw dropping Tv moments like cirie getting automatically out (that's a godawful outcome why would you want something like that in the first place, man has lost his mind) with all these twists and advantages. Instead of letting these moments come natural they're trying to manufacture them.

Keith nale has to be one of my favourite survivors. Love what he brought to my TV. He had so many great one liners and random funny moments. You need people like that on the show to keep it fresh and fun. RIP

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Production finally lets the players play without a dumb twist and we actually get an interesting vote. Who'd have thought?

Nice idol play by Danny and I'm glad Frannie stayed.

Found it odd that Carolyn voted differently from Yam Yam and Carson considering the edit makes them seem tight, but I'm assuming that was deliberate in order to keep their options open. If not, I'm confused.

And hopefully this is the last time we get the super-sized immunity challenge. I find it really drags on.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Best moment maybe in survivor history last night during the immunity stand between the walls challenge...

Danny - "Hey Jeff"

Jeff - "Yes Danny?"

Danny - *farts*

Lmfao

• Love

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Quality episode. No twists, 1 correct idol play (first time in YEARS) and discussions about strategy.

More of this.

I'm not saying your wrong in the overall sentiment but I think there was a correct idol play earlier this season. One of the first votes? I think 6ppl, but only like 3 votes and 2 went to someone who played an idol and the other person went home with 1 vote. Brandon I think saved himself?

And Josh bought himself another day when he played his tribe switch idol as well I think, otherwise there were enough votes for him as well I think, immediately after the tribe swap.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'm not saying your wrong in the overall sentiment but I think there was a correct idol play earlier this season. One of the first votes? I think 6ppl, but only like 3 votes and 2 went to someone who played an idol and the other person went home with 1 vote. Brandon I think saved himself?

And Josh bought himself another day when he played his tribe switch idol as well I think, otherwise there were enough votes for him as well I think, immediately after the tribe swap.

I misunderstood this tweet.....first time played for someone ELSE in a long time, my bad

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Production finally lets the players play without a dumb twist and we actually get an interesting vote. Who'd have thought?

Nice idol play by Danny and I'm glad Frannie stayed.

Found it odd that Carolyn voted differently from Yam Yam and Carson considering the edit makes them seem tight, but I'm assuming that was deliberate in order to keep their options open. If not, I'm confused.

And hopefully this is the last time we get the super-sized immunity challenge. I find it really drags on.

I'm sure Carson figured out they have something like a 34% higher change of making the final 3 if they spilt their votes like that which was the highest possible percentage out of all possible outcomes.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
convinced back after hearing last week was a great episode with no twists or nonsense

watched it and have small amount of hope and will try continuing on

just please no more nonsense

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
All that screentime dedicated to players finding fake idols this season and none of them even got played lol.
This was incredibly disappointing for me. I LOVE when fake idols get played and people look dumb, especially when they are crafted by players and planted for others to find. Not a fan of production providing fake idols to the players.

Randy getting blindsided and playing the fake idol from Bob in Gabon is in my top 5 favorite Survivor moments lol.
I'm sure Carson figured out they have something like a 34% higher change of making the final 3 if they spilt their votes like that which was the highest possible percentage out of all possible outcomes.
Carson probably 3D printed something at home that prepared him for that situation. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Superman33

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If you listen to Jeff probsts podcast (I don't but listen to other stuff that have talked about stuff said in there) he just absolutely loves these twists. And there's no one on production that will push back against his ideas. And when someone doesn't like his ideas he gets defensive. He's turned survivor into his personal toy. He's trying to recreate the jaw dropping Tv moments like cirie getting automatically out (that's a godawful outcome why would you want something like that in the first place, man has lost his mind) with all these twists and advantages. Instead of letting these moments come natural they're trying to manufacture them.

Keith nale has to be one of my favourite survivors. Love what he brought to my TV. He had so many great one liners and random funny moments. You need people like that on the show to keep it fresh and fun. RIP
The Probst podcast has confirmed essentially every negative assumption people had about him over the years. This is a guy who has said that he never understood why Richard stepped down in the final immunity challenge of season 1. He doesn't really care about a story, at least a slow building story, or about actual gameplay. He wants moments and surprises that will pop someone at the time and be forgotten about by the next episode.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Hard to argue against that vote. Frannie was a comp beast, and I don't think her social game was as bad as she made it out to be. I was very impressed with her, winning physical challenges against an former professional athlete and a strong physical threat like Danny, and Kane to some degree.

Seems like she'll be a thoughtful and fair juror. Apparently her and Matt got uhh re-acquainted pretty soon after he arrived to Ponderosa, and they are still currently dating. I like both of them and I'm glad a (so-far) successful showmance came from the game. It's nice to see a genuine connection liek this which seems kinda rare in Survivor.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think Danny is low-key killing it. He's been on the right side of the vote more than anyone else left, and he's able to slide from group to group and hasn't made himself a huge target. Not only is he on the right side of the votes, often it's the people he wants to go that get voted off.

Now that the challenge beast is gone, he may have a better chance on the physical ones, because Carson will beat him on the puzzles. I think Danny has a really good pathway to final 3. He's not a part of a "2" that would need to get broken up.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I think Danny is low-key killing it. He's been on the right side of the vote more than anyone else left, and he's able to slide from group to group and hasn't made himself a huge target. Not only is he on the right side of the votes, often it's the people he wants to go that get voted off.

Now that the challenge beast is gone, he may have a better chance on the physical ones, because Carson will beat him on the puzzles. I think Danny has a really good pathway to final 3. He's not a part of a "2" that would need to get broken up.
I agree about Danny, I just worry that he's starting to play too hard and getting too bossy with trying to control some votes. Also, for his physical stature he's not really doing too well in the physical challenges.

Honestly, Yam Yam is a dark horse here I think. I didn't realize it until he pointed it out, but he has had a hand in eliminating every single player that has voted for him and he has been fluid in his alliances. The only player left in the game who has voted for Yam Yam is Lauren, but her vote was controlled by Heidi's advantage, so she didn't truly vote for him.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I obviously made my previous post when I was halfway through the recent episode when Frannie had just won the reward challenge. :laugh:

Was not expecting to see the outcome I saw. Once again, the person most deserving of winning is voted out.

Danny strikes me as way too slimy. He may go deep but I think he will end up being one of those players who no one would vote for to win because he's revealed himself as a snake somewhere along the way. Really, he's a creep.

I doubt Probst is even aware that the term "full-tilt boogie" was the name of a Canadian band, The Full Tilt Boogie Band, that Janis Joplin chose as her onstage band.

As long as Carolyn isn't my girlfriend and I'm not awoken by the sound of her rattling the kitchen knives in their drawers in the middle of the night following an argument we had earlier in the evening, I'm now exclusively with her.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPV and Zeppo

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I've been cheering for both Carolyn and Yam-Yam to be voted out since ep 1. I'm now worried they BOTH might be in the Final 3.

Jaime and Heidi are complete meh. Every time I see them on screen I can't remember a single thing they've done, which tribe they were on, which alliances they've made. And Lauren has been irrelevant for a long time.

I think right now it Danny, Carson, Carolyn, and Yam-Yam are the 4 front runners. I expect the winner to be from that group (with at least 2, probably 3 of them not making the final) . I'm leaning towards Carson being the outright favourite. But I'll be cheering for Danny I think.

Losing Matt in that stupid tribe split kinda soured the season to me. I love the big chaotic 10-12 people votes, I think splitting it to isolate Matt (and Yam-Yam but he weasels it as he always does) sucked. I know it wasn't intentional by producers, but those big votes are the most fun, why limit it like that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad