Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Cloud vs Joker for RPG supremacy!

This game is a fever dream of goodness. Ultimate really seems like a fitting description. The Switch is my first Nintendo console since the SNES so I've never really played much Smash. But I'm pumped.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Kinda wish I knew what Persona was. Was a charming intro video regardless.
you're not alone, which is why I'm 97% sure there will be a port of the game next year. It will introduce a lot of new players to the franchise.
no doubt they picked him to coincide with a Persona 5 port.
win/win/win

best smash related reveal since the actual swerve with Splatoon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Interesting they said it is from Persona 5 as well. Not the Persona series where you can draw the one Nintendo link.

Who the hell knows what else is on Nintendo’s list at this point.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
If it's pure marketing nintendo is after with the DLC (wouldn't surprise me since Nintendo itself had more say) I'm gonna guess it looks like:

Joker (port on the way likely)

Fire emblem rep (promote new game)

Scorpion (double of having the two biggest icons of 90s fighting games in him and ryu and promote Mk's surprising debut on switch)

Gen 8 pokemon rep

Steve

Popular fan pick

Edit: Apparently Sakurai has spoken on the DLC, a rough translation spits out this;

- Nintendo gave him a list of characters they'd be willing to negotiate for and presented Sakurai with the list. Sakurai ultimately had the final say of what characters he and his team developed, Nintendo did the dirty work of getting him the rights to do so.

- No manga or anime characters are considered thus none will appear

I feel like if that's the case, we get probably at least one Microsoft property out of it due to Nintendo and MS's more friendly working relationship. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sora or Vault Boy at this point (god knows Bethesda needs some good publicity at this point)

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly it might be all hype third party picks with the idea of pushing Smash sales and DLC sales alone.

If the plan was cross platform sales they would have announced a Persona port along side this. The port might still come, but tying it with this announcement would have made the most sense if they were directly connected.

Last DLC cycle was also bonkers. It started small, but got crazier as it went along. They are starting bonkers out the gate now. We might get one or two in house safe picks, but I don’t think they are done with the left field characters.

Sora might actually happen.

Edit edit: Reggie apparently made a comment all 5 fighters will be unexpected.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I do have to say it's hilarious to watch the fanboys totally melt down. "THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A NINTENDO SERIES, WE NEED MORE FOCUS ON THEM!" As if the 60+ Nintendo characters isn't enough as is.

I'd rather go the "idk, surprise me" route with the DLC in Sakurai's hands than digging up some garbage nobody wanted like Waluigi or another crappy Sonic character. Let him go nuts, he's already proven he can make characters that have no business being as fun to play as they are work (Game and Watch, Duck Hunt Duo, etc)

I have never touched a persona game in my life and it looks waaaaay too weeby for my liking, but i'm still down to have this dude in the game. Take that over the remaining Nintendo "icons" any day.

Reactions: Pilky01

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have to head to work and it's my office holiday party tonight so I won't get to play till tomorrow. I played a bit after midnight and this morning. Having trouble getting used to the controls with the pro controller, surprisingly. Will come with time I'm sure.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I had no interest in this game because I'm a melee fanboy, but the fact that Joker from P5 was announced means Im buying a switch just to play this game. So hyped by that news

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have to head to work and it's my office holiday party tonight so I won't get to play till tomorrow. I played a bit after midnight and this morning. Having trouble getting used to the controls with the pro controller, surprisingly. Will come with time I'm sure.

Strangely enough I felt like I got a better grasp after I stopped playing the TV and played handheld in bed for an hour before falling aslepp.

Granted though that is probably just from having more time to get re-accustomed to the controls. Pro controller definitely felt kinda strange though. I might actually look into a wireless Gamecube controller; I have seen some good looking options recently.

I have never touched a persona game in my life and it looks waaaaay too weeby for my liking, but i'm still down to have this dude in the game. Take that over the remaining Nintendo "icons" any day.

This is totally my take as well. I still don't think I could get into the actual Persona games, but this character clearly adds some flavour that a character like Pirhanna Plant (who I LOVE as a character, i'm not slagging him) just doesn't.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd have tried it at peoples houses obviously, but I wouldn't have gone out and actually bought the switch for myself.

Oh you could have said you didn't own the system. That I can understand. I was taking it that you were going out of your way to not play the others because they aren't Melee.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do have to say it's hilarious to watch the fanboys totally melt down. "THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A NINTENDO SERIES, WE NEED MORE FOCUS ON THEM!" As if the 60+ Nintendo characters isn't enough as is.

I'd rather go the "idk, surprise me" route with the DLC in Sakurai's hands than digging up some garbage nobody wanted like Waluigi or another crappy Sonic character. Let him go nuts, he's already proven he can make characters that have no business being as fun to play as they are work (Game and Watch, Duck Hunt Duo, etc)

Those fanboys seem like a minority, one that should be ignored.

Seems like the bulk of the reactions are pure hype. Both for the character, and the possibility of even bigger surprises.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I very rarely buy DLC for games but they've hooked me with this one. And I feel better about buying DLC knowing that the base game is already so overstuffed with characters, it's not just a blatant cash grab like other games. Nintendo does this stuff right.

Wondering if we'll see any other Persona characters as assist trophies...Morgana?

Anyone think Sora might enter the fray? KH3 right around the corner and I could definitely see a KH collection port on the Switch happening.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
ugh can Jan 1st come fast enough so i can get Online?
my smash came today.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Joker doesn't sell me on the fighters pass at all, but it does make me excited for what could follow.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I played online once. I was in a teams match which I did not realize at all, and was super confused as to why I kept missing when trying to hit my teammate (I thought maybe it was online lag issues or something).

I was up against someone who had already unlocked K-Rool. Seems like a good character, lots of cool moves. Incredibly my team won the match despite me spending half the time trying to kill my partner and being the first to get knocked out. My partner didn't seem to know what he was doing either but we were in Magicent and he managed to take control of a Flying Man who just beat the living shit out of everyone.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The Versus Mode unlock "cheat" doesn't work for me at all. Pretty disappointed. Going to a Friend's house for a Smash Party and I feel like we're gonna be playing on a Super Nintendo with this limited of a roster. I wanted to get at least 20-25 characters. Very disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad