Patriots/NFL Super Bowl LIII - BEAT LA!!!!!!!! - Welcome to Canton, Ohio TY LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Deion Sanders: "Give Belichick two weeks to prepare, and nobody will outcoach him". Um...we just saw Belichick get outcoached by Pederson. This theory that Belichick is a genius with two weeks to prepare has been proven false before (See SB 42 & SB 52). Obviously still one of the best to ever coach though.
Remember last years super bowl No Edelman and no Hightower
This will be the first super bowl the game doesn't come back to the last possession
Patriots 31 - 17

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think if he wins the SB with his brother on the team, that's it for him personally.

I mean as a player in the unique position he's in, what more would you possible want to accomplish? Made a ton of money, won some Super Bowls, and won one of them with your twin bro on the team. Can't get much better than that.
I agree 100%. He'll go out on top. I just wasn't expecting to hear that he was even contemplating it.

I wonder if his concussion from the last game of the season is a factor in his decision.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Deion Sanders: "Give Belichick two weeks to prepare, and nobody will outcoach him". Um...we just saw Belichick get outcoached by Pederson. This theory that Belichick is a genius with two weeks to prepare has been proven false before (See SB 42 & SB 52). Obviously still one of the best to ever coach though.
Deion Sanders is obnoxious.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
He wasn't outcoached in SB42, that's a ridiculous statement.

Giants were a terrible matchup against a team that had obvious flaws that people wanted to ignore. They still should've won the game if Samuel makes that easy interception.

I'll give you last year. Pederson had some nice plays at the perfect time, and obviously using scrubs like Richards and Bademosi over Butler will forever be questioned.

Still, they had a ton of major injuries and were one defensive stop away from winning that game.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He wasn't outcoached in SB42, that's a ridiculous statement.

Giants were a terrible matchup against a team that had obvious flaws that people wanted to ignore. They still should've won the game if Samuel makes that easy interception.

I'll give you last year. Pederson had some nice plays at the perfect time, and obviously using scrubs like Richards and Bademosi over Butler will forever be questioned.

Still, they had a ton of major injuries and were one defensive stop away from winning that game.

SB 42 they decided to inexplicably go for a 4th & 10 in the 1st quarter. No punt. No FG attempt. It signaled that they weren't confident in the kicker. And it set the tone. They continued to try for the long pass instead of using Maroney more. It was clear the Giants weren't going to get beat by the long ball. So maybe McDaniels was outcoached on the offensive side of the ball.

And BB gets alot of credit for the 1st half performance against KC. If that's the case, he should get some blame for what happened in the 2nd half.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
SB 42 they decided to inexplicably go for a 4th & 10 in the 1st quarter. No punt. No FG attempt. It signaled that they weren't confident in the kicker. And it set the tone. They continued to try for the long pass instead of using Maroney more. It was clear the Giants weren't going to get beat by the long ball. So maybe McDaniels was outcoached on the offensive side of the ball.

And BB gets alot of credit for the 1st half performance against KC. If that's the case, he should get some blame for what happened in the 2nd half.
That happened on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter, which from memory was a drive that they chewed up something like 8 minutes of clock before the giving it up on downs.

It was a weird decision, but it also was in that weird part of the field where if they punted it's most likely a touchback, and they'd have gained all of 10 yards of field position, but if they went for the FG and missed, Giants would've had it on the 45. I do get the thinking there. If they score a TD, and waste another 3ish minutes doing so, they'd have been up by 11, with the Giants likely only getting the ball again 3 times. Another Pats TD afterwards most likely ends the game.

Also for the record, Maroney was terrible in that game as well.

Like I said, that Giants defense was a terrible matchup for the way the Patriots were built that year. Pressure up the middle while rushing 4, and allowing them to sit back in proection.

You'll never convince me that Bill got outcoached in that game, the Giants played the perfect game, and had a 1/1000 play happen to set up the win, much like the Edelman catch against ATL.

Reactions: rfournier103

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
That happened on the opening drive of the 3rd quarter, which from memory was a drive that they chewed up something like 8 minutes of clock before the giving it up on downs.

It was a weird decision, but it also was in that weird part of the field where if they punted it's most likely a touchback, and they'd have gained all of 10 yards of field position, but if they went for the FG and missed, Giants would've had it on the 45. I do get the thinking there. If they score a TD, and waste another 3ish minutes doing so, they'd have been up by 11, with the Giants likely only getting the ball again 3 times. Another Pats TD afterwards most likely ends the game.

Also for the record, Maroney was terrible in that game as well.

Like I said, that Giants defense was a terrible matchup for the way the Patriots were built that year. Pressure up the middle while rushing 4, and allowing them to sit back in proection.

You'll never convince me that Bill got outcoached in that game, the Giants played the perfect game, and had a 1/1000 play happen to set up the win, much like the Edelman catch against ATL.

Aren't the Rams built that way though? Maybe not. I've just heard what experts say.

There can't be any more slow starts in the SB. No turnovers (Patriots haven't had a turnover free SB since SB 36). No missed extra points. If you win the toss, take the ball and go down and score a TD. And for godsakes don't take a bunch of sacks.

I pray this game doesn't come down to their kicker and the Pats kicker. Because that is a huge mismatch. As I said, their kicker consistently boots 57-60 yarders. So if the Rams have the ball down say 2, under two minutes left, the Patriots are in trouble.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
There can't be any more slow starts in the SB. No turnovers (Patriots haven't had a turnover free SB since SB 36). No missed extra points. If you win the toss, take the ball and go down and score a TD. And for godsakes don't take a bunch of sacks.

I 1000% agree with your take on getting off to a fast start. If they can get a TD or two in the first quarter, they should be set up to completely control the game. I don’t know how well the Rams would handle playing from behind in the Super Bowl.

However, I think if the Pats win the toss, they should take the ball in the second half. Get a score in the second half and either get closer or more hopefully extend the lead. If the Patriots defense can get a stop on the opening possession of the game, they could set themselves up for better field position than starting at their own 25.

Playing mistake-free special teams, and not giving up sacks and turnovers goes without saying.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Aren't the Rams built that way though? Maybe not. I've just heard what experts say.

I pray this game doesn't come down to their kicker and the Pats kicker. Because that is a huge mismatch. As I said, their kicker consistently boots 57-60 yarders. So if the Rams have the ball down say 2, under two minutes left, the Patriots are in trouble.
Yes they are, but the Pats oline is also way better than they were in 07 & 11.

Light was bad in that 07 SB, and was a shell of himself in 11. Solder wasn't much better.

The biggest improvement with this years team in comparison to those teams that played the Giants, are the guards and center.

Thuney, Andrew, and Mason have all been great.

The oline as a whole in the postseason has given up something like 1 QB hit, and 9 total pressures. Against two teams that had good pass rushes.

The LA front is a tough matchup for sure, but if NE starts going heavy on the line with Gronk blocking, and forcing the secondary to cover past the initial contact on the line, Brady will shred them with the intermediate stuff.

Even though they've been better in the playoffs, they've also sucked against the run the whole year.

If they can limit the pass rush, they'll move the ball at will IMO.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Light was bad in that 07 SB, and was a shell of himself in 11. Solder wasn't much better.

The biggest improvement with this years team in comparison to those teams that played the Giants, are the guards and center.

The oline as a whole in the postseason has given up something like 1 QB hit, and 9 total pressures. Against two teams that had good pass rushes.

The LA front is a tough matchup for sure, but if NE starts going heavy on the line with Gronk blocking, and forcing the secondary to cover past the initial contact on the line, Brady will shred them with the intermediate stuff.

Even though they've been better in the playoffs, they've also sucked against the run the whole year.

This will be where the game is won or lost, IMO.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I 1000% agree with your take on getting off to a fast start. If they can get a TD or two in the first quarter, they should be set up to completely control the game. I don’t know how well the Rams would handle playing from behind in the Super Bowl.

However, I think if the Pats win the toss, they should take the ball in the second half. Get a score in the second half and either get closer or more hopefully extend the lead. If the Patriots defense can get a stop on the opening possession of the game, they could set themselves up for better field position than starting at their own 25.

Playing mistake-free special teams, and not giving up sacks and turnovers goes without saying.

If the Rams get the ball first, and it looks like a repeat of the defensive effort in SB 52, you immediately put pressure on Brady to march down and get a TD. If you force a punt, the D has set the tone, and you get a possible double dip possession to boot. If the Patriots take the ball first, and are forced to punt, the Rams have the possibility of a double dip possession. Flip side if the Pats get a TD, and Goff plays from behind. How would he react? There are pros & cons of each. I think they will take the ball if they win the toss.

Special teams is what decides SB's sometimes. I honestly don't trust Gostkowski. There have been too many instances of him blowing it in the postseason. XP's and easy FG's are not automatic with this guy in big postseason games. And what may be a punt at the Rams 40 yard line, will be a fg attempt at the Patriots 40 yard line.

Not saying the Patriots didn't deserve SB 49 or 51. But we all saw a few coaching decisions that burned the other team. McVay on the other sideline scares me. This isn't a guy who is scared to go for it on 4th down. And he puts his players in the best position to succeed. Similar to say...Doug Pederson.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

But Light & Solder were great heading into SB 42 as well. Don't you think the reason they "Struggled" was due to the front they faced? I like your idea with Gronk. But will that impact his ability in the passing game too?

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006
BPD is ready.

Just behave.

That's funny. I lived in Allston when Pats won their first Superbowl. It took my wife close to two hours to get home from a concert on that night because the train was held up around Kenmore square. I was also teaching at BC during that time and next morning learned that one of my student was stuck up on the light post for about 40 minutes because he was afraid to climb down and firefighters couldn't get to him because of the crowd. Good times!

Reactions: N o o d l e s

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
But Light & Solder were great heading into SB 42 as well. Don't you think the reason they "Struggled" was due to the front they faced? I like your idea with Gronk. But will that impact his ability in the passing game too?
Yes of course it was due to the front they faced, but that line overall was a weaker unit.

Light was okay that year, but per usual had a drive or two a game that he single handedly killed with false start penalties, and reviewing the game log, he did exactly that on the drive where they went for it on 4th down. he also gave up a sack on 3rd and 4 on the prior play. He was shit in that game.

Solder wasn't on the team for SB42.

The big thing with Gronk is they can use him to pull block a guy like Donald, then leak out into the second level. You'll also see, especially on running downs, Andrews pull onto Donald where Thuney is blocking him, and they'll run directly at him.

He's a great player, don't get me wrong, but they can severely hamper his ability to blow plays up.

Suh honestly is the guy they need to stay away from rushing the ball, and they absolutely need to be able to block him one on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille