Patriots/NFL Super Bowl LIII - BEAT LA!!!!!!!! - Welcome to Canton, Ohio TY LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I dunno about NE falling off anytime soon in this new decade.

But hey, do you guys ever ponder a young future QB to groom after Brady? Would you guys want to draft anybody this year or not? Is Hoyer still the backup right now?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I dunno about NE falling off anytime soon in this new decade.

But hey, do you guys ever ponder a young future QB to groom after Brady? Would you guys want to draft anybody this year or not? Is Hoyer still the backup right now?

Hoyer is not even a viable backup in my opinion, but yes, he is the backup for now.

I think the Patriots should be looking for their next starter right now (and I’m sure they are), and I think they’ll draft him this year or next. Just who that might be is anyone’s guess.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
So... a lot of this coverage seems to be harping on “the pass rush up the middle is the way to beat Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.” They keep talking about the Giants, etc... It’s getting old.

First of all, a good pass rush up the middle is a great way to beat ANYBODY.

Secondly, everyone knows this and have been trying to get to Brady by using that scheme for years with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Lastly, I’d like to think that the Patriots coaching staff might expect the Rams to employ this pass rush tactic and plan to mitigate it by keeping a back in the backfield or scheming the offensive line to stop them.

Hopefully the Patriots offensive line is up to the task.

Last edited:
Reactions: GloryDaze4877

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
When you realize Tom Brady has more rings than McVay has games coached in the playoffs

source.gif

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think the team totally overlooked Foles & the Eagles last season. Hopefully that humbling experience gets them extra motivated. I can't imagine they will make that mistake again.

I can't imagine the defense gives up all those 3rd & 4th down conversations if Hightower played last season. Having him back is a big boost. And having a fully healthy Edelman on offense is huge too.

They need to really watch out for the Rams trickery. Have an extra blocker on Donald & Suh. I do worry about JC Jackson. He is very aggressive with his hands. And the Chiefs game was a step back for him. I could see BB going to J Mccourty if Jackson struggles. Arrington was abused by Matthews in SB 49. But the team adjusted by putting Browner on Matthews, benching Arrington, and inserting Butler.

Another thing: McVay normally relays the play to Goff with 15 seconds on the clock. I wouldn't be stunned if the Patriots have a variety of disguises ready. In otherwords, completely change the coverage after Goff goes back on the field after said 15 seconds.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
They need to really watch out for the Rams trickery.

The only time the Rams should punt is if they are deep in their own territory and have at least 10 yards to gain. Otherwise, go for it outright or fake it and have Hekker pass. Dude is such a weapon.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think the team totally overlooked Foles & the Eagles last season. Hopefully that humbling experience gets them extra motivated. I can't imagine they will make that mistake again.

I can't imagine the defense gives up all those 3rd & 4th down conversations if Hightower played last season. Having him back is a big boost. And having a fully healthy Edelman on offense is huge too.

They need to really watch out for the Rams trickery. Have an extra blocker on Donald & Suh. I do worry about JC Jackson. He is very aggressive with his hands. And the Chiefs game was a step back for him. I could see BB going to J Mccourty if Jackson struggles. Arrington was abused by Matthews in SB 49. But the team adjusted by putting Browner on Matthews, benching Arrington, and inserting Butler.

Another thing: McVay normally relays the play to Goff with 15 seconds on the clock. I wouldn't be stunned if the Patriots have a variety of disguises ready. In otherwords, completely change the coverage after Goff goes back on the field after said 15 seconds.

I get what you're saying in regards to Jackson, and the Arribgton comparison, however, Arrington was a poor coverage CB who was better in the slot because he could run laterally and be physical. Jackson has the speed to deal with guys on the outside. So even if he gets best off the line, he can recover, something Arrington could never do.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
If Tom and Bill went out for dinner, who picks up the check? I say Tom uses Giselle's card. ;)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I just flipped on the NFL Network and was hoping that I might actually enjoy the media coverage this week.

That lasted all of about 30 seconds.

Second rate hacks like Cole Wright, and Micheal Robinson telling me that it’s a good sign that McVay had the players in jumpsuits instead of suit and tie, and that Aaron Donald led them off the team. That it means they are relaxed, but still mean business. I thought Cole Wright was ****ing awful on NESN. How he got hired on the NFL Network is totally beyond me.

Oi Vey! A full week of this? I will be ready to chuck the remote through the TV by Wednesday.

Cole Wright might be my least favorite NESN hire of all time. Very jumpy fellow. In the middle of every sentence his shoulders bounced and i could never ignore it

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He set the tone of last year's SB with that idiotic leap. Dumb arse.

While the Butler/Belichick shit got all the coverage last year, I'd argue that the #2 person to blame for the Superbowl loss last year was Cooks. Idiot was completely overwhelmed by the moment. His leap cost us 7 points, if he just ran to the corner he's in (IIRC I think we went for it on 4th and goal and didn't score that drive after it). Then a series or two later he runs around like a chicken with its head cut off and gets decapitated.

I don't regret trading him.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The only time the Rams should punt is if they are deep in their own territory and have at least 10 yards to gain. Otherwise, go for it outright or fake it and have Hekker pass. Dude is such a weapon.

Agreed. And not enough attention is being paid to special teams in this game. They have the much better punter. And their kicker can consistently boot 60 yarders. Meanwhile, the Pats kicker can't even boot a kickoff out the endzone.

Just an absolutely huge Rams advantage. What may be a punt at the Rams 40 yard line, will be a fg attempt on the Pats 40 yard line.

I really hope this game doesn't come down to Gost having to make a big kick.

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So... a lot of this coverage seems to be harping on “the pass rush up the middle is the way to beat Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.” They keep talking about the Giants, etc... It’s getting old.

First of all, a good pass rush up the middle is a great way to beat ANYBODY.

Secondly, everyone knows this and have been trying to get to Brady by using that scheme for years with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

Lastly, I’d like to think that the Patriots coaching staff might expect the Rams to employ this pass rush tactic and plan to mitigate it by keeping a back in the backfield or scheming the offensive line to stop them.

Hopefully the Patriots offensive line is up to the task.

While there's truth to Brady getting flummoxed by pressure up the middle, you can stop that with a running game. That's the biggest difference with this offense vs. years past. Most underrated reason we didn't finish out 2007 was the loss of Sammy Morris late in the season. That left us with Lawrence Maroney, who SUCKED. In the playoffs the Jags and Giants could load up on the pass rush because there was no running threat. The Giants were talented enough (and got lucky enough) to shut down the offense enough to steal that game.

Sony Michel is special, and James White is versatile. That's the key, honestly wouldn't be shocked if we did a run-first offense against the Rams. This year has really softened my stance on pass vs. run. I was always an "any mf'er off the street can run for 700 yards behind a good offensive line, invest your draft picks and cap space on wideouts" guy. I thought Sony in the first round was a bad pick. But the kid can play and is making a major difference. I may have to eat some crow.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Agreed. And not enough attention is being paid to special teams in this game. They have the much better punter. And their kicker can consistently boot 60 yarders. Meanwhile, the Pats kicker can't even boot a kickoff out the endzone.

Just an absolutely huge Rams advantage. What may be a punt at the Rams 40 yard line, will be a fg attempt on the Pats 40 yard line.

do you really think that isn't Belichick's game plan?

Since they moved the touchback line up Belichick has gone to kicking returnable kicks because more often than not your coverage will stop them short of the touchback line

Reactions: McGarnagle

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I don't know about that last part. Gost is the best part of the kicking game, and it's not really even close. I trust him a lot.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Im more mad about Cooks than Butler. If the idiot did a spin or even just use his speed toward the sideline we could have had 7. Then the moron decides hey I will try and stretch out this catch as much as possible and gets concussed and out.

With no Edelman or Cooks, Brady had limited weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Not to mention Jayden is supposed to hit Atlanta sometime Tuesday. HUTCH's concern with snow storms that hit a venue several days before an event continues to confuse.
the NFL has events Tuesday do they not, besides that isn't New England getting hit by Jayden as well? they already have watches up here for the same timeframe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland