Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Arsenal needed to do a lot more than those three teams though.

Also Chelsea bringing in Sarri and Jorginho will make a big difference, especially if they're only losing Courtois. Obviously if Hazard goes they need to bring someone in, but there's still a month left for moves to be made.
Just 3 weeks left for English teams.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They might have lost Can and Ox, but Keita and Fabinho look like the goods.

Their biggest problem was keeper and while it’s a lot of money, that looks sorted.

If Fekir comes, it’s basically a perfect window in my mind.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
But that would be the same for Spurs, Utd and Chelsea as well. If you include "if" for all of them there really isn't any difference.

I completely forgot Jorginho. Both Chelsea and Utd have strengthened last years squad without losing anyone of importance. City is in a different league of course.

I just don't see what is so special with this window for Liverpool so far.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't forget Shaqiri.
I think that was intentional. :sarcasm:

But yeah, we dropped arguably the worst fit midfielder on the team in Can, added Keita, Fabinho and Alisson so far with likely one more big attacker to come (not sure if the Fekir deal is dead or not, but someone of that ilk).

Imagine your team just went to the CL final playing exciting football, kept all of its players, and then added Keita, Fabinho, Alisson and Fekir (getting ahead a bit). You don't think you would be excited? Especially since everyone on the team pretty much is just entering their prime (Milner, lul), or still has yet to hit it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But that would be the same for Spurs, Utd and Chelsea as well. If you include "if" for all of them there really isn't any difference.

I completely forgot Jorginho. Both Chelsea and Utd have strengthened last years squad without losing anyone of importance. City is in a different league of course.

I just don't see what is so special with this window for Liverpool so far.

What do you mean? Liverpool has probably had the best window of any team in the world.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why do people include Alisson and even Fekir? Of course if you include players not yet bought and assume that the rest will do nothing I agree.

As of today Liverpool have lost Can and Ox. They have added Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri.

Chelsea have added Jorginho.

Utd have added Fred.

Apparently that is a revolution for Pool.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Actually they haven't lost Ox if you want ot be precise.
Of course if you count injured players and assume the rest of the teams won't get injuries, then I agree. :sarcasm:

All of this talk has been obviously with the assumption Alisson signs.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
IMO, Keita and Fabinho are significant upgrades over those 2 though.
Losing Can is an addition by subtraction in and of itself. Adding Keita and Fabinho on top of it, even if Ox is going to be out for the rest of the season...Obviously we have to wait and see how they all work together and adapt to the PL, but I don't see a way where Liverpool are not significantly better in midfield this season. A midfield 3 of Keita, Fabinho and one of Henderson/Wijnaldum is certainly up there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I’m pretty sure Joringho and Fred will do OK as well.
Not saying they won't, Chelsea just has more holes to currently fill than Liverpool if we assume that Alisson is going to Liverpool and Courtois is going to Real.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Neither has Liverpool from a net standpoint. They lost Can. Replaced him. In fact significantly upgraded on him.

Didn’t say they did. My point is from a net standpoint the difference isn’t that big.

Just too simplistic looking at who is bought in an individual window. Every team have different circumstances. As mentioned before Pool have lost Ox to injury. I’m guessing for Utd Bailly is coming back. Shaw looks somewhat fit. It looks like Pogba has grown. Lindelof has a season in England under his belt etc. just as an example.

I’m not saying Liverpool hasn’t done well. I just don’t see how this window so far has changed much when it comes to the relative strength between the top teams. Maybe Spurs are currently losing out a bit.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You don't see how Keita and Fabinho essentially replacing one midfield position is a significant change? Especially relative to other top teams in the league it's a massive change.

But it's okay to stick your head in the sand over it. I mean the difference between a starting midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Henderson/Wijnaldum with Wijnaldum, Milner, Lallana and others available as depth isn't much of a difference from a midfield of Henderson, Milner and Ox with Can and Wijnaldum (was injured/sick) as depth.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Didn’t say they did. My point is from a net standpoint the difference isn’t that big.

Just too simplistic looking at who is bought in an individual window. Every team have different circumstances. As mentioned before Pool have lost Ox to injury. I’m guessing for Utd Bailly is coming back. Shaw looks somewhat fit. It looks like Pogba has grown. Lindelof has a season in England under his belt etc. just as an example.

I’m not saying Liverpool hasn’t done well. I just don’t see how this window so far has changed much when it comes to the relative strength between the top teams. Maybe Spurs are currently losing out a bit.

Because they’ve solidified 4 signings which all significantly improve the team and fill a weakness. The net standpoint doesn’t really matter, because not only have they made the most signings, they’ve made the probably the best signings.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing is from a net standpoint the difference is HUGE. Especially when you consider that Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum and Lallana all missed significant time injured last season.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't know why no one is including Lee Grant in the United in list. I mean he is going to be a difference changer.

The thing is from a net standpoint the difference is HUGE. Especially when you consider that Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum and Lallana all missed significant time injured last season.

Didn't Ox miss some time too?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't know why no one is including Lee Grant in the United in list. I mean he is going to be a difference changer.

Didn't Ox miss some time too?
AOC was healthy until he got hurt in the first leg against Roma. Of course now he is going to miss all season. It's a shame. The injury was pretty flukey and he was their best midfielder last season

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Because they’ve solidified 4 signings which all significantly improve the team and fill a weakness. The net standpoint doesn’t really matter, because not only have they made the most signings, they’ve made the probably the best signings.

Net is really all that matters.

So much uncertainty around all of these signings. Go 12 months back and Bakayoko was just as good as these players (funnily enough Bakayoko could very well have the best season of all these four this year - I don’t believe so, but Chelsea didn’t buy him to be crap).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What is this nonsense that Arsenal is preparing a 44 million pound bid for Kingsman Coleman; I can name like six other players I would want instead for around that price tag?

Higuain, Batshuayi and Giroud. Who is the odd one out?
Higuain is most definitely gone since guarantee that Juve will do all they can to try and keep Dybala instead (everything changes if Barca or RM come knocking), but not sure he will move this window. Between Bats and Giroud, you easily keep Olivier and the WC he just had, but Bats is younger so age might come in the play. In the end though I really doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad