Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Halladay, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Savant

Savant Registered User

I wont say Alisson is the best signing of the summer (hes not) but I will say that he is the best positional upgrade that has happened this summer.

Get In.

That being said. If LFC are done with incoming they probably shouldn't keep loaning out their young forwards. They still dont have enough cover up front.

2. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

Like I said, it’ll be like VVD. It’s a buy that had to happen and if he’s successful not a single person will care about the price.

3. Savant

Savant Registered User

Yes. They had to do it and I would do it again 11 times out of 10

The Abusement Park likes this.
  4. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    The defense didn't get better. Koscielny (who is washed up now) is better than Sokratis and we won't have him for a while. Our back 4 in general looks like garbage.

I like the French David Luiz and Torreira signings though. Leno is mediocre as well.

5. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

Didn't Arsenal sign Leno for a fraction of what you paid for Allison? Anyone ready to vouch Allison will have a better season than Leno? I know I wouldn't.

S E P H likes this.
  6. JeffreyLFC

JeffreyLFC Registered User

I'm not sold on Leno. And there are reason why Liverpool, Real Madrid and Chelsea had interest in Alisson and not Leno even though he was available at a 3rd of the Alisson's price.

7. Savant

Savant Registered User

I will

8. The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park Registered User

I’m a United fan so I wouldn’t say I’m exactly biased towards this signing. Leno absolutely has the talent and ability to be a top goalie but really stagnated the last couple seasons and there’s a reason he’s a fraction of Alissons price. I’m not going to definitively say that Alisson would be better next season. But I’d much rather have Alisson over Leno next year. Purely based on track record.

9. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    I would guarantee it. Those two aren't even close to the same level. Btw, I drafted them both in the soccer draft two years ago (Alisson in the last round, *pats self on back*), fully aware of both their capabilities and have seen them a lot.

Not close. World class keeper vs. good keeper. You get what you pay for.

Last year it was Salah vs. Pedro (who is and was a very good player) and this one it's going to be Alisson vs. Leno, it seems like.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  10. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

It's goalkeepers, so a lot of the quality estimates are even more subjective than with other positions because mistakes are often so costly and difficult to make up for. Allison makes a couple crucial mistakes and they'll eat him alive in the media, and his evaluation will drop like a lead balloon. And then people will question his mentality, and how he responds then will tell you more about his quality than any tapes you watch.

11. Blender

Blender Registered User

Pedro has been with Chelsea since 15/16. The only attacking players they signed last year were Morata and Giroud.

12. Savant

Savant Registered User

That's anyone though. With keepers you get what you pay for. Historically look at the top 10 keeper transfers in history. They have generally worked out pretty well.

Buffon is one of the best keepers of time. Ederson won the league with City his first season. Jordan Pickford was one of the best goalkeepers in the World Cup and was Everton's player of the season. Neuer is also one of the best keepers of all time; and cost the same as Leno! What pressure having the same price tag as the best German keeper of all time! And you have De Gea up there too.

I'd say evidence suggests that the more you spend on a keeper, increases the likelihood of getting an impactful one. I didn't pick those names randomly. Those are in fact the most expensive keeper transfers ever, pretty much in order.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  13. Live in the Now

Awards:
    A lot of people initially compared Salah to Welbeck and then when wrong, they compared him to Pedro. That was what I was trying to mean anyway even if it didn't sound right. The same will be done with Alisson to Leno and then inevitably to players of his quality.

14. bluesfan94

bluesfan94 #PetroforNorris

Get what you paid for is a stupid metric unless you think Andy Carroll and Salah are similar.

15. Live in the Now

Awards:
    You had to go back a long way didn't you?

New Jersey likes this.
  16. bluesfan94

Nah just the first comparison that sprang to mind. But the fact that I’m going back doesn’t help your argument

17. Live in the Now

Awards:
    It does when you have to go back more than 7 years.

Leno has 9 errors leading to goals in the last three seasons. Alisson has none. I did some digging of my own beyond that statistic and couldn't find any.

Why Liverpool's Alisson Becker is so highly rated

Talented but error-prone Leno will benefit from fresh start at Arsenal

We would be much better served to compare one and not the other to top keepers. Hence you get what you pay for. It's not like anyone paid for blind potential here.

New Jersey likes this.
  18. bluesfan94

I could use plenty. Was Kanye not quality when Leicester signed him?

Not arguing about Alisson. I like him although I haven’t watched him critically enough to really have a feel for him, particularly in terms of how his style might fit English football.

I’m just saying your metric is flawed

19. Live in the Now

Awards:
    Initially someone compared the two. Let's look at the first post.

9 errors in the last three seasons compared to 0 for Alisson. That's why I have to default to there being a reason a team would pay for Alisson, hence you get what you pay for. And I did like Leno some seasons ago and would have taken him back then, he's more of what we had last season though these days.

20. Savant

Savant Registered User

I said this in my post too so I would direct your attention upwards. Keeper is a position where transfer spend has correlated to success. I think positionally keep may he more forgiving. But then again, Leno himself is in the top half dozen of keeper transfer fees himself. I thought those findings were pretty interesting.

21. Vasilevskiy

Vasilevskiy I've many surnames

Let's not act like anybody expected salah to play this way. Not even in your biggest dreams.

22. maclean

maclean Registered User

Pretty sure Curt did :naughty:

All Might and YNWA14 like this.
  23. Live in the Now

Awards:
    I didn't expect him to score 40 goals, but I did think he would be our best player immediately. Said numerous times that he was already a world class player and there were very few wingers better than him. All he needed to do was improve his mental game (finishing) and he would score tons of goals. Even on his statistics from 16-17, he was better than every player who he was compared to.

Granted, barely anyone agreed with me and Curt seemed to think I was a lunatic. Well look how that turned out, a few months later he was saying Salah would score 40 goals once he saw him in our team. Most players who play in Italy are underrated for an assortment of reasons. Maybe now that more people will be watching their football, not anymore. Jorginho (another guy I once drafted in late rounds) will probably be rated close to Kante by this time next year.

As for Alisson, I think this video speaks for itself, but at the same time you can see that he parries a lot of those amazing saves into traffic. The defense will need to be very aware, which they usually are, that's no longer a huge problem.

24. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

French David Luiz? Who are you refering to?

25. maclean

maclean Registered User

I guess its Matteo Guendouzi, the only French player they've signed this summer. Who also has frizzy hair