Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wont say Alisson is the best signing of the summer (hes not) but I will say that he is the best positional upgrade that has happened this summer.

Get In.

That being said. If LFC are done with incoming they probably shouldn't keep loaning out their young forwards. They still dont have enough cover up front.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I wont say Alisson is the best signing of the summer (hes not) but I will say that he is the best positional upgrade that has happened this summer.

Get In.

That being said. If LFC are done with incoming they probably shouldn't keep loaning out their young forwards. They still dont have enough cover up front.

Like I said, it’ll be like VVD. It’s a buy that had to happen and if he’s successful not a single person will care about the price.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The plan is strengthen the defense and central midfield. You left off Torreira who fills our biggest hole. Arsenal's attack with Laca and Auba and Ozil should be fine. Emery strengthened the parts that needed fixing.
The defense didn't get better. Koscielny (who is washed up now) is better than Sokratis and we won't have him for a while. Our back 4 in general looks like garbage.

I like the French David Luiz and Torreira signings though. Leno is mediocre as well.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not sold on Leno. And there are reason why Liverpool, Real Madrid and Chelsea had interest in Alisson and not Leno even though he was available at a 3rd of the Alisson's price.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Didn't Arsenal sign Leno for a fraction of what you paid for Allison? Anyone ready to vouch Allison will have a better season than Leno? I know I wouldn't.

I’m a United fan so I wouldn’t say I’m exactly biased towards this signing. Leno absolutely has the talent and ability to be a top goalie but really stagnated the last couple seasons and there’s a reason he’s a fraction of Alissons price. I’m not going to definitively say that Alisson would be better next season. But I’d much rather have Alisson over Leno next year. Purely based on track record.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Didn't Arsenal sign Leno for a fraction of what you paid for Allison? Anyone ready to vouch Allison will have a better season than Leno? I know I wouldn't.

I would guarantee it. Those two aren't even close to the same level. Btw, I drafted them both in the soccer draft two years ago (Alisson in the last round, *pats self on back*), fully aware of both their capabilities and have seen them a lot.

Not close. World class keeper vs. good keeper. You get what you pay for.

Last year it was Salah vs. Pedro (who is and was a very good player) and this one it's going to be Alisson vs. Leno, it seems like.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's goalkeepers, so a lot of the quality estimates are even more subjective than with other positions because mistakes are often so costly and difficult to make up for. Allison makes a couple crucial mistakes and they'll eat him alive in the media, and his evaluation will drop like a lead balloon. And then people will question his mentality, and how he responds then will tell you more about his quality than any tapes you watch.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Last year it was Salah vs. Pedro (who is and was a very good player) and this one it's going to be Alisson vs. Leno, it seems like.
Pedro has been with Chelsea since 15/16. The only attacking players they signed last year were Morata and Giroud.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's goalkeepers, so a lot of the quality estimates are even more subjective than with other positions because mistakes are often so costly and difficult to make up for. Allison makes a couple crucial mistakes and they'll eat him alive in the media, and his evaluation will drop like a lead balloon. And then people will question his mentality, and how he responds then will tell you more about his quality than any tapes you watch.
That's anyone though. With keepers you get what you pay for. Historically look at the top 10 keeper transfers in history. They have generally worked out pretty well.

Buffon is one of the best keepers of time. Ederson won the league with City his first season. Jordan Pickford was one of the best goalkeepers in the World Cup and was Everton's player of the season. Neuer is also one of the best keepers of all time; and cost the same as Leno! What pressure having the same price tag as the best German keeper of all time! And you have De Gea up there too.

I'd say evidence suggests that the more you spend on a keeper, increases the likelihood of getting an impactful one. I didn't pick those names randomly. Those are in fact the most expensive keeper transfers ever, pretty much in order.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pedro has been with Chelsea since 15/16. The only attacking players they signed last year were Morata and Giroud.

A lot of people initially compared Salah to Welbeck and then when wrong, they compared him to Pedro. That was what I was trying to mean anyway even if it didn't sound right. The same will be done with Alisson to Leno and then inevitably to players of his quality.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I would guarantee it. Those two aren't even close to the same level. Btw, I drafted them both in the soccer draft two years ago (Alisson in the last round, *pats self on back*), fully aware of both their capabilities and have seen them a lot.

Get what you paid for is a stupid metric unless you think Andy Carroll and Salah are similar.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nah just the first comparison that sprang to mind. But the fact that I’m going back doesn’t help your argument

It does when you have to go back more than 7 years.

Leno has 9 errors leading to goals in the last three seasons. Alisson has none. I did some digging of my own beyond that statistic and couldn't find any.

Why Liverpool's Alisson Becker is so highly rated

Talented but error-prone Leno will benefit from fresh start at Arsenal

We would be much better served to compare one and not the other to top keepers. Hence you get what you pay for. It's not like anyone paid for blind potential here.

Reactions: New Jersey

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It does when you have to go back more than 7 years.

Leno has 9 errors leading to goals in the last three seasons. Alisson has none. I did some digging of my own beyond that statistic and couldn't find any.

Why Liverpool's Alisson Becker is so highly rated
I could use plenty. Was Kanye not quality when Leicester signed him?

Not arguing about Alisson. I like him although I haven’t watched him critically enough to really have a feel for him, particularly in terms of how his style might fit English football.

I’m just saying your metric is flawed

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I could use plenty. Was Kanye not quality when Leicester signed him?

Not arguing about Alisson. I like him although I haven’t watched him critically enough to really have a feel for him, particularly in terms of how his style might fit English football.

I’m just saying your metric is flawed

Initially someone compared the two. Let's look at the first post.

9 errors in the last three seasons compared to 0 for Alisson. That's why I have to default to there being a reason a team would pay for Alisson, hence you get what you pay for. And I did like Leno some seasons ago and would have taken him back then, he's more of what we had last season though these days.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Get what you paid for is a stupid metric unless you think Andy Carroll and Salah are similar.
I said this in my post too so I would direct your attention upwards. Keeper is a position where transfer spend has correlated to success. I think positionally keep may he more forgiving. But then again, Leno himself is in the top half dozen of keeper transfer fees himself. I thought those findings were pretty interesting.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Let's not act like anybody expected salah to play this way. Not even in your biggest dreams.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Let's not act like anybody expected salah to play this way. Not even in your biggest dreams.

Pretty sure Curt did :naughty:

I didn't expect him to score 40 goals, but I did think he would be our best player immediately. Said numerous times that he was already a world class player and there were very few wingers better than him. All he needed to do was improve his mental game (finishing) and he would score tons of goals. Even on his statistics from 16-17, he was better than every player who he was compared to.

Granted, barely anyone agreed with me and Curt seemed to think I was a lunatic. Well look how that turned out, a few months later he was saying Salah would score 40 goals once he saw him in our team. Most players who play in Italy are underrated for an assortment of reasons. Maybe now that more people will be watching their football, not anymore. Jorginho (another guy I once drafted in late rounds) will probably be rated close to Kante by this time next year.

As for Alisson, I think this video speaks for itself, but at the same time you can see that he parries a lot of those amazing saves into traffic. The defense will need to be very aware, which they usually are, that's no longer a huge problem.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The defense didn't get better. Koscielny (who is washed up now) is better than Sokratis and we won't have him for a while. Our back 4 in general looks like garbage.

I like the French David Luiz and Torreira signings though. Leno is mediocre as well.
French David Luiz? Who are you refering to?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad