Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm trying to not panic over signings, especially given how quietly Woodward has done business recently (Dalot this summer, Lukaku last). So I'm hoping (praying) something is in the works.

We cannot begin the season with Young at fullback and Lingard/Mata at RW. The winger position might not need be that big of a priority since we have a really good prospect in Tahith Chong but if its Young/Darmian at LB again...god help us.
Well from reports Darmian is all but gone. I think it would be more of Shaw/Young. If Shaw can regain his form then I would be okay with him but his injury history and confidence issues worry me.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Well from reports Darmian is all but gone. I think it would be more of Shaw/Young. If Shaw can regain his form then I would be okay with him but his injury history and confidence issues worry me.

I personally think Shaw's done as a player at United. He may be fit now but I wasn't impressed with his performances last season. I was a big supporter of his but no professional player should not maintain his body like how he did last season. Looks like if things stand as is, he'll begin the season as the starter. I hope he proves me wrong, but I have 0 faith in him being useful. It's a shame though, he was looking real good under LvG until Hector f***ing Moreno ruined everything.

At this point, I'd just throw money at Kieran Tierney.

Reactions: Gecklund

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez vows that his club will make major signings this summer | Daily Mail Online

Was this posted already?

"Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has vowed that his club will make a splash in this summer's transfer market."

"We need to strengthen our present and our future. This is a great squad that will be strengthened by some brilliant players', Perez told a news conference on Wednesday.
'We're in one of the richest periods of our history. We've won unique titles. We're sound institutionally, have strong financial power and have the supports of millions of fans."

I thought we agreed not to post anything from Daily Fail on these threads...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Adama Diakhaby is moving from Monaco to Huddersfield for 10M€

Too bad, he's still a work in progress. He clearly has a lot of talent, but needs more time to develop his tactical sense. I'm afraid moving abroad now could be a career killer.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Adama Diakhaby is moving from Monaco to Huddersfield for 10M€

Too bad, he's still a work in progress. He clearly has a lot of talent, but needs more time to develop his tactical sense. I'm afraid moving abroad now could be a career killer.
I generally have a distaste for kids moving to EPL too young. That league is anything but a development league, not to mention that some of the clubs there play just a terrible brand of football.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Doesn't matter much what others do when we are talking about a specific team - Huddersfield try to play (not always successfully, but that is another matter).

I also think the league is changing a bit. "Smaller" teams like Bournemouth, Watford (depending on who manages them of course), Brighton (at home at least) and Huddersfield try to play football. I expect the same from Fulham and Wolverhampton. I'm expecting Everton to play some attacking minded football this season. Southampton will be fine. West Ham should be far away from the boring team it was under Allardyce (WH have been quite entertaining at times over the last 15 years - just depending on the manager) Are there any old school "English teams" left in the league? Burnley maybe, but that Burnley side is nothing like a Pulis or Allardyce kind of team.

I do however agree it is not a good place to develop if you are just borderline good enough to play. It can quickly kill a young player's confidence.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't know, EPL is my #1 league, but the football played from just about every team outside of the top-6 has been absolutely dire for a while.
Exceptions being Everton at times, Leicester and West Ham in 15-16.

I can speak for WHU for example. Bilic eventually fell out with the Davids over William Carvalho, he wanted someone who can actually pass the ball, other than Lanzini.
They have some great athletes, runners and tacklers, but actual football instincts? Peak Noble was decent (2015-16), but guys like Kouyate, Antonio, etc. - while being fast, powerful and tireless - can't make a proper decision with the ball (and execute it) to save their lives.

Now Pellegrini's here, and the hopes are back up again, with some quality footballers being brought it.
But I don't know if that's enough to execute Pellegrini-style football. Especially with Lanzini out long-term.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You might argue that for example Bournemouth aren't especially good, but that doesn't change the fact that they are trying to play decent football. Sometimes it sounds mid-table teams in France and Spain play fantastic football - they don't. When I lived in France and followed the league there much more closely than I do now I saw more boring football than I have ever had.

The fact that teams like Everton and WH are hiring managers that play football says something (we'll see how long it lasts this time of course). I never watched Wolverhampton last season, but teams like Fulham and Reading before them really do try to play proper football. Not something you basically ever saw in the Championship only five years back.

So I cannot agree at all with that statement. It is not based on "facts on the ground" as we speak. I'm not saying the days are gone, but we do not have as of today a bunch of managers focusing mostly on playing destructively. Mourinho is probably the "worst" in that sense. Benitez kind of - but if Benitez and Dyche are two of the most "destructive" managers in your league you haven't got much to complain about in my opinion.

As for the games. It is obvious that when City got the ball 75% of the time you are not going to see Brighton playing brilliant possession based football. However, if you watch Brighton - Bournemouth these days you will often find the games flowing really well - playing encouraged to play the ball (which in this context - is good for young players developing).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Once Alisson to Liverpool is finalized, LFC will be sending Danny Ward to Leicester City for 10m-12m fee

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

To be honest, I don't think Man Utd a serious contender as long as guys like Young are penciled in in the starting 11.

I don't necessarily mind Mou, defensive tactics aside, but the whole roster is filled with some rather pedestrian players and too much is being asked from Pogba and Lukaku to carry all of them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Juve rejected 90 million euro for Rugani and Higuain. While Higuain isn't in his prime anymore, I do think it's critical to have a player in each area that knows how to play Sarri's style. Rugain-Jorginho-Higuain would provide that. If we land them, this is much better transfer policy than previous years with new managers. AVB was always going to fail in his first season, and Conte had a perfect storm his first season, but squad issues revealed themselves last year.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I know the window ends in a couple of weeks, but if I’m a club with top 4 aspirations not named Liverpool or City, I’m a bit nervous that there hasn’t been a ton yet. Arsenal has arguably done more than Chelsea, United or Spurs.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I know the window ends in a couple of weeks, but if I’m a club with top 4 aspirations not named Liverpool or City, I’m a bit nervous that there hasn’t been a ton yet. Arsenal has arguably done more than Chelsea, United or Spurs.
Arsenal needed to do a lot more than those three teams though.

Also Chelsea bringing in Sarri and Jorginho will make a big difference, especially if they're only losing Courtois. Obviously if Hazard goes they need to bring someone in, but there's still a month left for moves to be made.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Liverpool lost Can and Ox. A bit different than for the other top teams. But I do get on this board we do have a handful of vocal Liverpool-fans. I'm happy you/they are happy, but being linked to Alisson at 60m+ doesn't exactly get me nervous as a Spursfan.

Arguably Utd have strengthened more than Liverpool. Liverpool have replaced two players that they have lost (Ox of course it not lost long term).

For Spurs keeping Rose and hopefully getting Winks fit will most likely be the two most significant "improvements" Spurs do this summer - almost regardless of who they buy. I hope Spurs can bring in a couple of good players, but I'm hardly nervous for the season. Spurs will do well as long as the transition to the new stadium goes OK (hopefully the Wembley experience will help).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->