Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Net is really all that matters.

So much uncertainty around all of these signings. Go 12 months back and Bakayoko was just as good as these players (funnily enough Bakayoko could very well have the best season of all these four this year - I don’t believe so, but Chelsea didn’t buy him to be crap).

Net doesn’t matter at all. If Tottenham signs 14 kids that are 17 years old and Chelsea signs Lewandowski but loses Giroud, who had the better transfer window? Clearly Chelsea. Quality over quantity. And I don’t think anyone said Bakayoko was better than Fabinho last summer. But he’s also younger than Fabinho and still has more developing to do. Fabinho is probably a top ~5 player at his position. Bakayoko is not that.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Net doesn’t matter at all. If Tottenham signs 14 kids that are 17 years old and Chelsea signs Lewandowski but loses Giroud, who had the better transfer window? Clearly Chelsea. Quality over quantity. And I don’t think anyone said Bakayoko was better than Fabinho last summer. But he’s also younger than Fabinho and still has more developing to do. Fabinho is probably a top ~5 player at his position. Bakayoko is not that.

Oh I didn’t mean net as in number of players, but as in quality.

Nothing new that players that are on their way out become worse (like Can). Or that players coming in get hyped. Even Aurier was good last summer.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh I didn’t mean net as in number of players, but as in quality.

Nothing new that players that are on their way out become worse (like Can). Or that players coming in get hyped. Even Aurier was good last summer.

Net doesn’t mean quality though. And yeah there’s more hype for players coming in. But I mean there’s a difference between callin can bad because he’s leaving and calling Fabinho a significant upgrade.

On that note I’m done defending Liverpool. I’m feeling ill.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Net doesn’t mean quality though. And yeah there’s more hype for players coming in. But I mean there’s a difference between callin can bad because he’s leaving and calling Fabinho a significant upgrade.

On that note I’m done defending Liverpool. I’m feeling ill.

Net doesn’t mean quality? Says who?

It means what you are left with after you have taken away the cost. Of course that could be quality.

Defending? I’m not attacking Liverpool so no need for defending.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I know the window ends in a couple of weeks, but if I’m a club with top 4 aspirations not named Liverpool or City, I’m a bit nervous that there hasn’t been a ton yet. Arsenal has arguably done more than Chelsea, United or Spurs.

IMO the Spurs and Man Utd can contend with some proper buys - Spurs one or two, United need 3-4.
But their identity is there, the core is more or less there, the idea is there... And they just need a little refining (Spurs) or a lot of it (Man Utd).

Arsenal and Chelsea, however, to me, look in complete shambles.

Chelsea is a team that just spent two years buying "Conte" players and gave that team to Sarri.
I imagine he'll need at least this season to create a team able to play anything resembling Sarri football - and it'll only get worse if Hazard leaves.

Arsenal is even worse off. All the Emery buys so far (to me) look like buys without a proper plan in sight.
"Oh look a player that is marginally better than someone we have" - get him.
"Oh look, an ancient Lichtsteiner who hardly played serious minutes in 2 years" - get him.
And like Man Utd, the first team is filled with pedestrian players that the media and Arsenal themselves keep telling themselves are top material.
When they fail, they won't blame the home-grown young guys (who aren't exactly tier 1 material), but they'll keep piling on Özil, because it's easier.

Liverpool, on the other hand, looks like they've identified their weak spots, identified their targets and went for them, early and aggressively.
There's also a rumor now that they've offered 22m for Vida now and are talking the terms over with the player. Bias aside, I've been saying he's the best kept secret among defenders for a while, and he would be gold covering for any CB or RB, an upgrade over Klavan and Matip, a leader and a guy in his prime for 3-4 more years.
Fabinho is a fantastic get, Alisson covers the GK position that needed addressing after the CL final, and Keita was arranged ages ago, a potential star in the EPL.
Shaqiri was a wonderful get as a squad player as well.

TLDR; IMO as it is: Tier 1 - Man City, Liverpool, Tier 2 - Spurs, Man Utd. Tier 3 - Chelsea, Arsenal. Tier 4 - the rest.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
IMO the Spurs and Man Utd can contend with some proper buys - Spurs one or two, United need 3-4.
But their identity is there, the core is more or less there, the idea is there... And they just need a little refining (Spurs) or a lot of it (Man Utd).

Arsenal and Chelsea, however, to me, look in complete shambles.

Chelsea is a team that just spent two years buying "Conte" players and gave that team to Sarri.
I imagine he'll need at least this season to create a team able to play anything resembling Sarri football - and it'll only get worse if Hazard leaves.

Arsenal is even worse off. All the Emery buys so far (to me) look like buys without a proper plan in sight.
"Oh look a player that is marginally better than someone we have" - get him.
"Oh look, an ancient Lichtsteiner who hardly played serious minutes in 2 year" - get him.
And like Man Utd, the first team is filled with pedestrian players that the media and Arsenal themselves keep telling themselves are top material.
When they fail, they won't blame the home-grown young guys (who aren't exactly tier 1 material), but they'll keep piling on Özil, because it's easier.

Liverpool, on the other hand, looks like they've identified their weak spots, identified their targets and went for them, early and aggressively.
There's also a rumor now that they've offered 22m for Vida now and are talking the terms over with the player. Bias aside, I've been saying he's the best kept secret among defenders for a while, and he would be gold covering for any CB or RB, an upgrade over Klavan and Matip, a leader and a guy in his prime for 3-4 more years.
Fabinho is a fantastic get, Alisson covers the GK position that needed addressing after the CL final, and Keita was arranged ages ago, a potential star in the EPL.
Shaqiri was a wonderful get as a squad player as well.

TLDR; IMO as it is: Tier 1 - Man City, Liverpool, Tier 2 - Spurs, Man Utd. Tier 3 - Chelsea, Arsenal. Tier 4 - the rest.

If United can get another CB, a LB(or hope Shaw gets his shit sorted) a RW and a new manager(I wish) I think we’re in business. I think overall we have a solid starting 11 with a couple holes that need to be filled. RW is the biggest one for me. Mata and Lingard aren’t quality RW’s. Lingard is fine as a depth player but Mata has to play centrally to be effective. If we can get a decent RW I think our attack should be good to score some goals this season. Or so I hope.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The plan is strengthen the defense and central midfield. You left off Torreira who fills our biggest hole. Arsenal's attack with Laca and Auba and Ozil should be fine. Emery strengthened the parts that needed fixing.

Reactions: S E P H

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
If United can get another CB, a LB(or hope Shaw gets his **** sorted) a RW and a new manager(I wish) I think we’re in business. I think overall we have a solid starting 11 with a couple holes that need to be filled. RW is the biggest one for me. Mata and Lingard aren’t quality RW’s. Lingard is fine as a depth player but Mata has to play centrally to be effective. If we can get a decent RW I think our attack should be good to score some goals this season. Or so I hope.

I don't know, there's a lot of bang average or "squad" players on that team.
Rashford, Martial, Mata, Herrera, Young, Lingard, literally the entire D bar maybe Bailly and Valencia... And Sanchez wasn't working out either.
Some are still developing and have good potential, some are past it, but bottom line, right now, they're not the top players you need to compete with City.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't know, there's a lot of bang average or "squad" players on that team.
Rashford, Martial, Mata, Herrera, Young, literally the entire D bar maybe Bailly and Valencia... And Sanchez wasn't working out either.

I think a midfield 3 of Pogba, Fred, and Matic is a pretty good midfield. Sanchez should be better this season and Lukaku is one of best strikers in the league. Bailly is actually a very good CB when healthy(that’s the key there really) and Valencia is a solid RB. Way better than young is that’s for sure. But with the style that Mourinho plays and having DDG in net conceding goals won’t be the biggest issue. It’s scoring goals that’s the issue and the lack of a RW really sticks out.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think a midfield 3 of Pogba, Fred, and Matic is a pretty good midfield. Sanchez should be better this season and Lukaku is one of best strikers in the league. Bailly is actually a very good CB when healthy(that’s the key there really) and Valencia is a solid RB. Way better than young is that’s for sure. But with the style that Mourinho plays and having DDG in net conceding goals won’t be the biggest issue. It’s scoring goals that’s the issue and the lack of a RW really sticks out.

I have to be honest, I saw Fred play literally twice. And I can't really tell how good a player in his position is off two games.
Matic is top notch, I love him, so if Fred works out, I guess the midfield is looking better than last year - but still lacks creativity IMO.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fred is good, but it's hard to know how any player from Ukraine would adapt.

Meanwhile...

They are going to announce it tonight or tomorrow.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have to be honest, I saw Fred play literally twice. And I can't really tell how good a player in his position is off two games.
Matic is top notch, I love him, so if Fred works out, I guess the midfield is looking better than last year - but still lacks creativity IMO.

Fred’s a solid player. Always been decent when I’ve watched him in the CL. Obviously his biggest question mark is how well he adapts to the PL.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Obviously his biggest question mark is how well he adapts to the PL.

You can say that with any signing. To further one of Havre's point.

Though I think players are finding it easier to adapt to the EPL compared to before where players like Forlan and Veron were seen as flops.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You can say that with any signing. To further one of Havre's point.

Though I think players are finding it easier to adapt to the EPL compared to before where players like Forlan and Veron were seen as flops.

Of course. I think Fabinho is the type of player who would have very little issues transitioning to the BPL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
jwzg8qohuya11.jpg

Ah finally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad