Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
City, Arnseal, & Liverpool all getting better.
United doing nothing. Could very well be back on the outside looking in for Champions League qualification.
City hasn't done anything to get better. Arsenal still won't be top 4. Liverpool is getting better. Chelsea too and Spurs are still good. The thing about United though is that if they make 2 more signings (literally just 2 if they work) then this team is fine and back to being 3rd at the very least. If they can sign a CB like Alderweireld and a LB like Sandro then this team is so much better.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
City, Arnseal, & Liverpool all getting better.
United doing nothing. Could very well be back on the outside looking in for Champions League qualification.

Meh United is still probably the 4th best team in the league at worst at this point. But it would come down to Spurs, United, Chelsea for the last 2 spots imo.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I’m repeating myself but Liverpool are getting these players because Utd don’t want them. I don’t get why someone supporting Utd would get too worried before we see them play.

This is absolutely bizarre logic. If they lost de Gea, Alisson would have been the first player targeted. Keita, Fabinho, and van Dijk would all easily start for them. Salah would as well. So it's maybe more a problem that they don't want them than anything else.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Goalkeepers better than Alisson...

- De Gea
- Oblak
- Navas
- Subasic
- Casillas
- Handanovic
- ter Stegen
- Courtois
- Neuer
- Ocha
- Ruffier

The amount of delusion in the people following mostly EPL is astounding to me.

EPL is the most attractive league and I love it to bits.
But as Pep says, if anyone thinks that the football played there is better than in Spain, they're deceiving themselves.
Not sure I agree, I argue that the EPL is still and away the hardest league to play in as England's schedule really takes its toll on the teams in European competitions. However, the EPL doesn't have the best nor the most watchable league for me even as a Gooner - it's more physically tolling and somethings you get too little space to make plays because of the English way. The EPL is popular entirely based on the language where English is the universal trading dialect for businesses internationally (where the most money is made). So it makes sense why people from the Middle East and Asia tend to EPL more than any other league.

If I was going to say the best and most entertaining for me is La Liga, but the diving (and the refs biting on it) really leaves the league with a black mark. Not only that, but they get a lot of international fans as well, for example half of Camp Nou is filled with plastic Asian fans who come from many different areas of the continent.

According to the new rumors, if they get Thiago, they won't go after Rabiot.

Also, Theo Hernandez could be moving - probably on a loan.
Lol, that would be funny if Arsenal randomly become favourites for Rabiot since Barca is apparently dropping out.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Goalkeepers better than Alisson...

- De Gea
- Oblak
- Navas
- Subasic
- Casillas
- Handanovic
- ter Stegen
- Courtois
- Neuer
- Ocha
- Ruffier

Not sure I agree, I argue that the EPL is still and away the hardest league to play in as England's schedule really takes its toll on the teams in European competitions. However, the EPL doesn't have the best nor the most watchable league for me even as a Gooner - it's more physically tolling and somethings you get too little space to make plays because of the English way. The EPL is popular entirely based on the language where English is the universal trading dialect for businesses internationally (where the most money is made). So it makes sense why people from the Middle East and Asia tend to EPL more than any other league.

If I was going to say the best and most entertaining for me is La Liga, but the diving (and the refs biting on it) really leaves the league with a black mark. Not only that, but they get a lot of international fans as well, for example half of Camp Nou is filled with plastic Asian fans who come from many different areas of the continent.

Lol, that would be funny if Arsenal randomly become favourites for Rabiot since Barca is apparently dropping out.
Bolded I disagree with, italicized I think are arguable. The rest I agree with though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sarri mentioned in his press conference that he spoke to Chelsea that the midfield needs a pinch of quality to play his style. Not sure if this was before or after Jorginho though. I could see Chelsea going after a CM that can get forward a bit more and has technical ability.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is absolutely bizarre logic. If they lost de Gea, Alisson would have been the first player targeted. Keita, Fabinho, and van Dijk would all easily start for them. Salah would as well. So it's maybe more a problem that they don't want them than anything else.

Better with bizarre than no I guess.

Imagine how good Utd will be then upgrading with at least equally good players in the positions they need it?

I didn’t say Liverpool can’t buy players that are good enough for Utd. But if everyone knew Salah would be this good do you believe he would have ended up at Liverpool last year? That is my point. And that is true for Keira, Fabinho and Alisson as well. Doesn’t have to be Utd. Could be City. PSG, Barcelona, RM, BM etc. Not really that controversial if one thinks about it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And supposedly Firmino already turned down United to come to Liverpool.

Reactions: hersky77

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Alisson is already top 7 in the world. Not just saying that because he's going to be playing for Liverpool, keep in mind that I think he makes mistakes and that I didn't want to buy a keeper for anywhere near that price.

But I also watched a lot of Roma the last year and he was their best player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sarri mentioned in his press conference that he spoke to Chelsea that the midfield needs a pinch of quality to play his style. Not sure if this was before or after Jorginho though. I could see Chelsea going after a CM that can get forward a bit more and has technical ability.
We're still in on Golovin apparently. We absolutely need a Fabregas replacement though.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Alisson is already top 7 in the world. Not just saying that because he's going to be playing for Liverpool, keep in mind that I think he makes mistakes and that I didn't want to buy a keeper for anywhere near that price.

You are definitely getting a fantastic gk. It's sad to see him leave Roma. I have when star players leave Serie A.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Alisson saved ten points more for Roma than an average keeper would have. Per those same statistics Karius was a one point better than average keeper last season.

That + the other players they signed will be crucial to any challenge, but I never would have thought Liverpool would be spending this kind of money on players. Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think this would happen. I knew they had money because they hadn't spent any for years, but nothing like this.
I’ve been banging the drum that they need to spend and could spend for a few windows now.

It’s stupid money for a keeper, but a heck of a statement of intent. I think with the Ox news today, Fekir gets done pronto.

Alisson is an overpayment, but he’s a stud. Look at the impact Ederson had on City and Alisson is a decent bit better than him. If Courtois goes, he’s behind De Gea in England and that’s about it. I think his distribution is what excites me the most.

Juve

May 13, 2011
CSKA Moscow’s President says the future of Juventus target Alexandr Golovin will be decided “in the next two days” and “there’s no done deal” with Chelsea.

The Russian midfielder appears to be close to a move to Stamford Bridge, but the Bianconeri and Monaco have also made bids.

“We have to let Golovin go so we don’t hold him back,” Evgeniy Giner told Sport24.

“As things stand though we still don’t have the solution. When we receive an offer we always try to negotiate openly.

“We were contacted by the Vice-President of Monaco [Vadim Vasilyev] and they made an offer for Golovin.

“Chelsea? There’s no done deal with them, but the question of his move to another club will be settled, I think, in the next two days.”

Juventus are reportedly prepared to offer Atletico Madrid centre-back Diego Godin a three-year contract in a bid to convince the Uruguay international to move to Turin.

Godin, who represented his country at the 2018 World Cup, will see his current Atletico deal expire at the end of next season, and could be available for £22m this summer.

Manchester United have also been credited with an interest in the 32-year-old, but Juventus are believed to be in a strong position to secure his signature.

According to Sportitalia, Juventus are 'serious' about signing the central defender this summer, and will offer him a contract until the summer of 2021.

Godin is a fantastic defender, but I am not sure I actually want him due to his age. We need to get younger on CBs not older. Chiellini is 33, Benatia is 31 and Barzagli is 37.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Next thing you know he'll be the best player in the world come on now. :sarcasm:

Juve

May 13, 2011
I’ve been banging the drum that they need to spend and could spend for a few windows now.

It’s stupid money for a keeper, but a heck of a statement of intent. I think with the Ox news today, Fekir gets done pronto.

Alisson is an overpayment, but he’s a stud. Look at the impact Ederson had on City and Alisson is a decent bit better than him. If Courtois goes, he’s behind De Gea in England and that’s about it. I think his distribution is what excites me the most.

Quite a few people said the same thing when Buffon was signed. Look how that turned out. Does it really matter the amount of money you are spending on a class gk when he can help save you games? Karius mistakes cost you the game. It could have still been 1-1. Think about that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Next thing you know he'll be the best player in the world come on now. :sarcasm:

It's entirely possible that people will say he's as good as de Gea next season. He's that good.

But if it costs us another attacker I will have a problem.

There just aren't many keepers who can do that and he makes saves like this all the time. I simply hope he won't be so aggressive rushing out of his area, if he cuts some of that out, he'll be better than a top keeper.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Subasic's last season doesn't warantee being ranked that high at all. Not even close.

He's had injury issues and has watched the team around him fall apart and players get sold one by one... but as a whole, yeah, he was under the level of his last few seasons.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's had injury issues and has watched the team around him fall apart and players get sold one by one... but as a whole, yeah, he was under the level of his last few seasons.

He’s a good keeper. Has been and will be going forwards. But he just isn’t in that top tier going forwards.

Reactions: mfilipo3

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He’s a good keeper. Has been and will be going forwards. But he just isn’t in that top tier going forwards.

Yeah, I think that's fair. He's 33, coming off an injury riddled season and a great World Cup (though whether he was screened or injured on powerless on the two goals in the final, it's hard to say).

Truth be told, I wouldn't have minded Kalinic starting in this WC already, IMO he's as good as peak Subasic, with room to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad