Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Bonucci has rejected United's offers and is in Paris to sign his contract with PSG.

Oh, that's a big move potentially for PSG - assuming Bonucci still "has it".

I wasn't overly impressed with Silva last season in the games I saw him play, and if Bonucci can bring his best to PSG, it could be one of the moves needed to finally push them over the edge in the CL.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

Not done yet but getting there. Only contract terms and medical left now that Liverpool has permission to speak with the player

0sweh1ndnia11.jpg

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Not done yet but getting there. Only contract terms and medical left now that Liverpool has permission to speak with the player

Let’s be fair, they’ve already had talks with the agent before now.

Liverpool must have felt the heat from Chelsea finally moving for him and decided not to play the long game and end up without a goalie.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Let’s be fair, they’ve already had talks with the agent before now.

Liverpool must have felt the heat from Chelsea finally moving for him and decided not to play the long game and end up without a goalie.
Probably one of the biggest differences in the last year. Less f***ing around in getting deals done.

Reactions: New Jersey

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That surely means that someone is on their way out?
Yes and no.
No because PSG has only 3 CBs since Luiz (and then Aurier) left and they were looking for one.
But Bonucci doesn't really fit the "4th CB" criteria. And no way Kimpembe goes to 4th option either.
It also could mean Tuchel plans a 3 at the back, which means PSG has to get a 4th quality CB.

If he plays 2 CB however, I can't see any of Silva, Marquinhos, Kimpembe, or Bonucci playing 4th on the depth chart.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh, that's a big move potentially for PSG - assuming Bonucci still "has it".

I wasn't overly impressed with Silva last season in the games I saw him play, and if Bonucci can bring his best to PSG, it could be one of the moves needed to finally push them over the edge in the CL.
I frankly think Silva has been amazing. Easily the best player on the Brazil WC squad also.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Is Palmieri a credible source? xD Really ? xD xD
It's more credible McKenzie for soccer...

Btw, Chelsea maybe will acquire both Rugani and Higuain for more than 100 mln pounds.
Sarri has acquired Jorginho for, how much? 50-60 mln pounds...
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Ask yourselves why the Premier League teams, in Champions, has big problems to win....
When’s the last Italian team to win? What about English?

Reactions: Evilo

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Okay. Just to be clear, my #1 team is West Ham, I watch 3-4 EPL games every week, I watch every Barca game, every Real Madrid game, and what I can catch of Juve and/or Inter.
So I consider myself rather informed.

The amount of delusion in the people following mostly EPL is astounding to me.
Not only are the Spanish teams absolutely mopping the floor with everyone else in the world, it's also far from being top-heavy as some describe it. Madrid and Barca dominate, yes, but that doesn't mean others are poor.
Atletico and Sevilla are constantly getting into the final rounds of European competitions as well (Atletico especially is just a top-tier club, with 1 EL and 2 CL finals in the last 4 years).

And while the mid-table clubs in England (including WHU) have the money, the actual football played is just not on the level of the mid-table clubs in Spain. It's all strength and some speed, power and athleticism - and there's nothing wrong with that.
But Betis, Eibar, Espanyol... You name the club, all of them have passages of play, even vs Real and Barca, that those English clubs couldn't dream of. The skill level, the passing, the movement... It's just better.

EPL is the most attractive league and I love it to bits.
But as Pep says, if anyone thinks that the football played there is better than in Spain, they're deceiving themselves.
He didn't say the quality of football is better in England than Spain, he said the grind of the schedule makes it very difficult to compete across so many competitions. If you rest guys in the league you're going to drop points to mid/lower table teams because they are all competitive, and it will cost you the title or maybe even a CL spot, but if you play them in the league they aren't going to be fresh for the European games. The scheduling with the league, two cup competitions, and continental football is a huge grind.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
When’s the last Italian team to win? What about English?
Before this year, it was very hard (or impossible) for the English team to reach the Champions League Final...
And this year, the AS Roma team deserved to kick Liverpool out of the competition.
The Italian teams are much poorer than the English ones (maybe this sentence is not true for Juventus) and so for them it's more difficult to acquire the big players.
They can live thanks to the stupidity of other GMs...Like Napoli and maybe Juventus do this summer...

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He didn't say the quality of football is better in England than Spain, he said the grind of the schedule makes it very difficult to compete across so many competitions. If you rest guys in the league you're going to drop points to mid/lower table teams because they are all competitive, and it will cost you the title or maybe even a CL spot, but if you play them in the league they aren't going to be fresh for the European games. The scheduling with the league, two cup competitions, and continental football is a huge grind.

He specifically said "quality of competition".

Which has to be a joke, if one compares EPL to La Liga.

And other than the League Cup (which Spain hasn't, and in which every top team plays reserves in England) schedule-wise, it's all the same.
The grind that the EPL faces in December and January, La Liga faces in February/March. It evens out.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
And this year, the AS Roma team deserved to kick Liverpool out of the competition.

Not even close, really. They got absolutely destroyed at Anfield and the ref not giving them a pen that would still require them to score 2 goals in Rome doesn't mean they deserved to "kick Liverpool out of the competition".

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Before this year, it was very hard (or impossible) for the English team to reach the Champions League Final...
The Italian teams are much poorer than the English ones (maybe this sentence is not true for Juventus) and so for them it's more difficult to acquire the big players.
They can live thanks to the stupidity of other GMs...Like Napoli and maybe Juventus do this summer...
In the last 15 years, an English team has either won or been runner up 9 times. An Italian team has either won or been runner up 5 times. Now, you can point to the last five years, where it's 2-1 Italy, but then that defeats your point because both times it was Juve who is a big spender as well.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Too bad Alderweireld wants to be a starter. I'd take him at Liverpool for a 3rd. Nice to get the keeper position settled, at least. I hope Alisson delivers on the hype.

One more attacker signed and this window would be pretty much perfect.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Not even close, really. They got absolutely destroyed at Anfield and the ref not giving them a pen that would still require them to score 2 goals in Rome doesn't mean they deserved to "kick Liverpool out of the competition".
At Anfield, AS Roma got destroyed, you're right.
But at Rome, AS Roma was near to tie the aggregate...probably also because the Reds did not play that game well focused after the first leg...

PS: I'm defending the AS Roma...xD xD xD xD it's strange xD

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
In the last 15 years, an English team has either won or been runner up 9 times. An Italian team has either won or been runner up 5 times. Now, you can point to the last five years, where it's 2-1 Italy, but then that defeats your point because both times it was Juve who is a big spender as well.
Juve is a big spender, I agree.
But Old Lady is a big spender this year...
I mean: in the history of the team, this is the first time they acquire a player like Ronaldo.
Yes, they spent 94 mln for Higuain, but it happened thanks to the money came from Pogba-United deal...
Unfortunately for me :D :D they are/were very careful to the financial statement of the club.
And the Agnelli were not usual to spend lots of "own money".
Before Moggi and then Marotta and Paratici, they show how important are the skills and the professional competence.
If you look at the 2015 Final, Juve vs Barcelona...the Old Lady had a roster not too much expensive...

In the last 15 year the English team have reached 9 times the final? Yes, but consider also the amount of money they spend every single fuc summer and consider the 2006 "Earthquake" in the Italian soccer...At the end...English team were and are richer than Italian ones (except Juventus) and they result are not as high as the money spent.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00