Transfer: Summer Transfers Part II

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Dammit PSG, buy Alderweireld instead.

I would take him at United. But not for that price. He's 29 with 1 year left on his deal. No way I would pay the asking price.

I think he ends up going late int he window, when someone either cracks on the price or Spurs feel its time to get whatever they can and move on.

Reactions: Gecklund

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well looks like it’s getting done. Too much money, but I’m happy to have it done and dusted. He’s the best they could have logically gotten right now, and he fits what they’re trying to do. Happy to swipe him before Chelsea could get him.

Add Fekir and maybe something else and I’m beyond happy with this result

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I would take him at United. But not for that price. He's 29 with 1 year left on his deal. No way I would pay the asking price.

I think he ends up going late int he window, when someone either cracks on the price or Spurs feel its time to get whatever they can and move on.

As it looks right now, he's staying for next season which I think is very stupid when there clearly are options abroad to sell him to.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Alderweireld got 1+1 year left. Buy out is around 25m or whatever it is next summer.

I don’t think he is staying. Sounds like Pochettino has had enough and if so there is no way back.

Still don’t get why Spurs and Utd can’t agree on a Alderweireld/Martial kind of deal. Rarely does a swap make that much sense in football.

Reactions: Fro

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I don't think it makes too much sense. Chances are that he wouldn't play much more at Spurs and we probably wouldn't offer him as much as he has already rejected.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He specifically said "quality of competition".

Which has to be a joke, if one compares EPL to La Liga.

And other than the League Cup (which Spain hasn't, and in which every top team plays reserves in England) schedule-wise, it's all the same.
The grind that the EPL faces in December and January, La Liga faces in February/March. It evens out.
You responded with a post about style of play, not quality of competition. If you limit the definition of quality of competition to teams only playing a possession based passing game, of course La Liga is better. A lot of EPL teams play a lot more of a direct style, but the quality of players throughout the league can't be matched. You have mid table EPL teams buying good players from quality clubs every summer. So while I agree with you that the style of play isn't as good, I disagree the the competition is inferior in any way. La Liga is without a doubt better at the top with Barca, Real, and Atletico.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You responded with a post about style of play, not quality of competition. If you limit the definition of quality of competition to teams only playing a possession based passing game, of course La Liga is better. A lot of EPL teams play a lot more of a direct style, but the quality of players throughout the league can't be matched. You have mid table EPL teams buying good players from quality clubs every summer. So while I agree with you that the style of play isn't as good, I disagree the the competition is inferior in any way. La Liga is without a doubt better at the top with Barca, Real, and Atletico.

Style of play and skill level has a lot to do with it. Betis beat Madrid last year, and even though Madrid was struggling last season at that point, and dominating the game - Betis played.
Same with Barca in 2016-17 against Malaga and some other games.

Don't get me wrong, I love the EPL, I love it's culture and tradition, but the football being played between West Ham and WBA (for example) is just not on par with the football being played between a team like Betis and Espanyol.
And I'm a Hammers fan lol...

As far the quality itself... I've seen nothing that would lead me to the conclusion that mid-table clubs in the Premier League are better than mid-table clubs in La Liga.

Either way, the statement that the "schedule and quality of competition is 10x harder than any other league" is a bit too much, I'm sure you'd agree (?).
Or not. :D

Speaking of which, West Ham has had an oddly good transfter window and have now apparently put in a bid for Vida as well.
I'm hugely excited to see where and how exactly it will go wrong this season. :P

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Alderweireld got 1+1 year left. Buy out is around 25m or whatever it is next summer.

I don’t think he is staying. Sounds like Pochettino has had enough and if so there is no way back.

Still don’t get why Spurs and Utd can’t agree on a Alderweireld/Martial kind of deal. Rarely does a swap make that much sense in football.
Because United doesn’t want to give up Martial for a 29 year old. I have my doubts that United want to get rid of Martial at all. Also Liverpool's window scares me. I think that Spurs and United should team up this season to make a super team because honestly at this point it doesn’t seem like Spurs are linked with anyone so they still need that other creative mid and probably some depth and United’s defense still looks worse than most bottom table teams. A team that starts Kane, Alexis, Eriksen, Son, Pogba, etc. wins the league.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Style of play and skill level has a lot to do with it. Betis beat Madrid last year, and even though Madrid was struggling last season at that point, and dominating the game - Betis played.
Same with Barca in 2016-17 against Malaga and some other games.

Don't get me wrong, I love the EPL, I love it's culture and tradition, but the football being played between West Ham and WBA (for example) is just not on par with the football being played between a team like Betis and Espanyol.
And I'm a Hammers fan lol...

As far the quality itself... I've seen nothing that would lead me to the conclusion that mid-table clubs in the Premier League are better than mid-table clubs in La Liga.

Either way, the statement that the "schedule and quality of competition is 10x harder than any other league" is a bit too much, I'm sure you'd agree (?).
Or not. :D

Speaking of which, West Ham has had an oddly good transfter window and have now apparently put in a bid for Vida as well.
I'm hugely excited to see where and how exactly it will go wrong this season. :P
I absolutely agree that initial post is huge hyperbole of course.

If we're ranking leagues I think La Liga has to go first just based on competition success, but if we're analyzing why big spending English teams don't have more success, there are some really valid reasons for that beyond just mismanagement. The EPL is a pretty physical league with a lot of competitive teams, and it makes the schedule an absolute grind. The CL spots often come down to the last two or 3 games of the season as well, so most EPL teams can't afford much squad rotation when it comes to league play.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
When Chelsea spend 50 on Schmeichel it will be a bit funny
We could do worse I think, but I'll be pissed if we spend more than the 35m we're getting for Courtois for a keeper. No reason we can't pry a quality keeper from someone for less than that, as we're not going to replace Courtois and we shouldn't blow the budget trying.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We could do worse I think, but I'll be pissed if we spend more than the 35m we're getting for Courtois for a keeper. No reason we can't pry a quality keeper from someone for less than that, as we're not going to replace Courtois and we should blow the budget trying.
Yeah, unless we are getting someone near top 10 quality, we should buy a vet stop-gap, and find a top keeper prospect to bring in and start in a year or 2.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, unless we are getting someone near top 10 quality, we should buy a vet stop-gap, and find a top keeper prospect to bring in and start in a year or 2.
If this had happened earlier, chasing Lafont would have made sense. City didn't pay that much for Ederson, has to be other decent options out there rather than overpaying for someone.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Because United doesn’t want to give up Martial for a 29 year old. I have my doubts that United want to get rid of Martial at all. Also Liverpool's window scares me. I think that Spurs and United should team up this season to make a super team because honestly at this point it doesn’t seem like Spurs are linked with anyone so they still need that other creative mid and probably some depth and United’s defense still looks worse than most bottom table teams. A team that starts Kane, Alexis, Eriksen, Son, Pogba, etc. wins the league.

Quite a few reports saying Mourinho doesn’t care much if Martial leaves. In any case you got to give some to get some (kind of - money being what is usually used in football of course).

Every summer fans put too much emphasis on transfers. And every summer players coming in are hyped. I’m repeating myself but Liverpool are getting these players because Utd don’t want them. I don’t get why someone supporting Utd would get too worried before we see them play.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Quite a few reports saying Mourinho doesn’t care much if Martial leaves. In any case you got to give some to get some (kind of - money being what is usually used in football of course).

Every summer fans put too much emphasis on transfers. And every summer players coming in are hyped. I’m repeating myself but Liverpool are getting these players because Utd don’t want them. I don’t get why someone supporting Utd would get too worried before we see them play.
Because Liverpool just made it to the final of a CL. They added a world class DM, a fantastic CM, a world class GK, and a rotational option that would probably be starting for us.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Mou is why.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
City, Arnseal, & Liverpool all getting better.
United doing nothing. Could very well be back on the outside looking in for Champions League qualification.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
City, Arnseal, & Liverpool all getting better.
United doing nothing. Could very well be back on the outside looking in for Champions League qualification.

They've already signed Fred (fantastic player) and Dalot. Imagine how us Spurs supporters must feel.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Alisson saved ten points more for Roma than an average keeper would have. Per those same statistics Karius was a one point better than average keeper last season.

That + the other players they signed will be crucial to any challenge, but I never would have thought Liverpool would be spending this kind of money on players. Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think this would happen. I knew they had money because they hadn't spent any for years, but nothing like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad