Transfer: Summer Transfers and Rumors Discussion - Part IV

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I like this much better than Spence.

Really? 29 year old over the 20 year old? I doubt they sell him for much less than what Spence will cost. Spence to understudy Doherty makes more sense and then sell Royal. If you didn't have Doherty I would say go with the older player but you already have that even if he isn't near as good. Doherty isn't getting sold so would be way too crowded position.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Really? 29 year old over the 20 year old? I doubt they sell him for much less than what Spence will cost. Spence to understudy Doherty makes more sense and then sell Royal. If you didn't have Doherty I would say go with the older player but you already have that even if he isn't near as good. Doherty isn't getting sold so would be way too crowded position.
Doherty is coming off a big injury and Conte wants rotation. Immediate quality over a raw unproven prospect. Cheaper too.

Reactions: luiginb

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Doherty is coming off a big injury and Conte wants rotation. Immediate quality over a raw unproven prospect. Cheaper too.

How much cheaper? Also I doubt he wants to come in to be a rotational player, Spence would more likely be ok with that. Doherty should be back though so when he is you're crowded. If he comes back and can't play then look to add in January. You also need to get someone off the books before you bring either player in.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
How much cheaper? Also I doubt he wants to come in to be a rotational player, Spence would more likely be ok with that. Doherty should be back though so when he is you're crowded. If he comes back and can't play then look to add in January. You also need to get someone off the books before you bring either player in.
If Doherty's injury has affected him we're stuck with a raw, unproven prospect until January.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

I read that Klauss was close to signing for Chelsea to back-up/rotate Reece James for couple of years. Would be a good signing for Chelsea.

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Kind of funny how they laughed off the supposed West Ham £50M bids for Phillips and Raphinha only to sell for less (Raphinha is rumored about this amount).

I get they had to hold on till they were safe, but everyone acted like the bid was so derisory. Admittedly I’m a little surprised they settled so low too.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
45 million while United are scoffing at 75 for Frenkie lmao. Epl market always brings the lols in the summer.
Yeah I mean Phillips is English and plays in the PL and Frenkie is Dutch and doesn’t play in the PL therefore anything over 50M he’s not worth cause he’s obviously a worse player. Doesn’t have the experience. You know Phillips might be slightly above average but we know he’s above average. Frenkie might be world class BUT we don’t know that!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I read that Klauss was close to signing for Chelsea to back-up/rotate Reece James for couple of years. Would be a good signing for them.
If they didn't have Royal it would be. Until they clear him off the books bringing in another veteran RWB doesn't make sense. There's not enough games for them all and if Doherty comes back where he left off it makes a big mess. Spence you don't have to force minutes on, he'll get them in time. Keep Royal as cover for Doherty until he's fully fit them move one in January. Hopefully by then you know what you kinda got in Spence.

As for Phillips I would assume it's a mix of less time on the contract and coming off an injury marred season. The deal doesn't make sense for either club. He doesn't seem City quality and Leeds isn't going to find as good a replacement unless they spend most of the money they get. Seems like he'll be similar to Ake, expensive depth that plays the least meaningful games.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
If they didn't have Royal it would be. Until they clear him off the books bringing in another veteran RWB doesn't make sense. There's not enough games for them all and if Doherty comes back where he left off it makes a big mess. Spence you don't have to force minutes on, he'll get them in time. Keep Royal as cover for Doherty until he's fully fit them move one in January. Hopefully by then you know what you kinda got in Spence.

As for Phillips I would assume it's a mix of less time on the contract and coming off an injury marred season. The deal doesn't make sense for either club. He doesn't seem City quality and Leeds isn't going to find as good a replacement unless they spend most of the money they get. Seems like he'll be similar to Ake, expensive depth that plays the least meaningful games.

I meant good signing for Chelsea.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I meant good signing for Chelsea.
For Chelsea it makes sense to buy a finished product as cover, at least previously they could financially make those moves. Spurs shouldn't be doing that, it they bring in experience it should be to start or on a free. Use the funds on youth that can become top players. Maybe they're becoming much more financial and they can make thse kinda moves but I don't know if they're there yet.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
We all know that Barca's too poor for anyone to successfully sellout by joining them...but that's why I said he's not a very smart sellout.

And pass, yes spanish-Wirtz could teach him how to flub scoring chances, but I don't think that would serve the NT.

Well it's like I said, he wouldn't be selling out. It's not like he'd be getting some big pay day that he couldn't elsewhere including Germany.

Spanish Wirtz? Not sure who you're referring to. Maybe you mean Portuguese Wirtz and you're referring to Felix. Anyway, Pedri, who has a better conversion % than Wirtz based on last season's respective league seasons, can help Florian with that too.

As for die Mannschaft, I wouldn't worry about that. He'd get better at Barca, though I still wouldn't be confident in Germany winning anything significant any time soon unless they get lucky again like they did in 2014. Of course you never know with NT ball being at the level it's at. Maybe one of the bums you've been writing about for years comes good.

I also think it's disgraceful and it's going to hurt us A LOT going forward. But I wouldn't expect anything better from Laporta. He did manage to balance the accounts though, I'll give him that, but if I were a star player I'd think twice before coming to play for Barcelona nowadays.

I would love to know how it's disgraceful considering the majority of what was written in the post you quoted wasn't even factual. Even if you take the general idea and actually put it forth correctly, I fail to see how it's disgraceful unless you don't understand the whole picture. That said, sometimes folks let their personal feelings get in the way and you seem to have an issue with Laporta. Maybe you blame him for Messi leaving or worse still you're a Bartomeu guy, but while Laporta isn't perfect there's only so much one can really fault
him for.

And to cover the whole pay cut issue, where it's been a request and not a begging process or demand, many of the players were overpaid to begin with. Now I'm not saying they should accept a pay cut or be forced to take one, but when you have a guy who I won't name (rhymes with "Dumbsheety") who hardly plays, won't take the recommended treatment for his injuries and is thus injured longer and who won't accept a move to any interested suitors unless they're CL clubs despite the fact he's only good enough to be a backup at a CL club then maybe they should be asked to take a pay cut.

As for "star players" joining the club, I don't think it'll matter. Either the club will get past it's issues and they'll want to join or they won't and it won't even be an option financially. Not to mention guys who come to the club and ditched bigger pay days to do so. Aubameyang was getting a king's ransom at Arsenal and take a massive cut in pay to join. Besides, I'd rather the club weren't just looking at "star players" going forward.

Yeah I mean Phillips is English and plays in the PL and Frenkie is Dutch and doesn’t play in the PL therefore anything over 50M he’s not worth cause he’s obviously a worse player. Doesn’t have the experience. You know Phillips might be slightly above average but we know he’s above average. Frenkie might be world class BUT we don’t know that!

Not sure the "we" you're referring to, but I'm here to help. Frenkie IS absolutely World Class. And if by "we" you mean yourself and @Duchene2MacKinnon , then why did you both draft him in the top 20 places in the last two years' drafts if he wasn't World Class? Obviously you both shit the bed with your overall squads, but one can only assume you rate him as "World Class" if you're picking him that high. I mean considering this year's draft is still up and running I can happily take him off your hands and help you improve your squad in the process. I don't have any "slightly above average" players, but I would think in time you'd appreciate the World Class players I would be willing to offer.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
All those players were considered good before their move (hence why you bought them for high $$$) then they moved and stagnated. This isn't the first time offensive players go to Chelsea just to regress. Its painfully obvious from Tuchel's entire career not sure why this is remotely a conversation but ok.

All of this is nonsense. As usual.
They were considered good in worse leagues.

Lukaku wasn’t viewed highly at United.

Pulisic/Ziyech/Werner came from inferior leagues.

Those players “regressed” before Tuchel came. Pulisic has been garbage outside of that summer 2020 pandemic period where he was willing the team to results. Ziyech and Werner were the same under Lampard as well.

So, again, Lukaku got worse. Ok? I personally put a majority of the Lukaku blame at the feet of the lazy one himself, but if you want to have that one, sure.

We were still the fourth highest scoring team in Europe with the center of our 3-4-3 being…

Alonso - Kova - Jorgi - Azpi. (minutes played leaders) Just contextualize this shit.

We were right up there with City and Liverpool up until Chilwell and Reece got injured. We won a CL. We lost two 50/50 finals on penalties. Madrid barely escaped that second leg against us.

You are being ridiculous here. Tuchel elevated the ceiling of this team in both seasons. He’s gotten more out of the team than what the individual parts would indicate should be your likely results.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well it's like I said, he wouldn't be selling out. It's not like he'd be getting some big pay day that he couldn't elsewhere including Germany.

Spanish Wirtz? Not sure who you're referring to. Maybe you mean Portuguese Wirtz and you're referring to Felix. Anyway, Pedri, who has a better conversion % than Wirtz based on last season's respective league seasons, can help Florian with that too.

As for die Mannschaft, I wouldn't worry about that. He'd get better at Barca, though I still wouldn't be confident in Germany winning anything significant any time soon unless they get lucky again like they did in 2014. Of course you never know with NT ball being at the level it's at. Maybe one of the bums you've been writing about for years comes good.

I would love to know how it's disgraceful considering the majority of what was written in the post you quoted wasn't even factual. Even if you take the general idea and actually put it forth correctly, I fail to see how it's disgraceful unless you don't understand the whole picture. That said, sometimes folks let their personal feelings get in the way and you seem to have an issue with Laporta. Maybe you blame him for Messi leaving or worse still you're a Bartomeu guy, but while Laporta isn't perfect there's only so much one can really fault
him for.

And to cover the whole pay cut issue, where it's been a request and not a begging process or demand, many of the players were overpaid to begin with. Now I'm not saying they should accept a pay cut or be forced to take one, but when you have a guy who I won't name (rhymes with "Dumbsheety") who hardly plays, won't take the recommended treatment for his injuries and is thus injured longer and who won't accept a move to any interested suitors unless they're CL clubs despite the fact he's only good enough to be a backup at a CL club then maybe they should be asked to take a pay cut.

As for "star players" joining the club, I don't think it'll matter. Either the club will get past it's issues and they'll want to join or they won't and it won't even be an option financially. Not to mention guys who come to the club and ditched bigger pay days to do so. Aubameyang was getting a king's ransom at Arsenal and take a massive cut in pay to join. Besides, I'd rather the club weren't just looking at "star players" going forward.

Not sure the "we" you're referring to, but I'm here to help. Frenkie IS absolutely World Class. And if by "we" you mean yourself and @Duchene2MacKinnon , then why did you both draft him in the top 20 places in the last two years' drafts if he wasn't World Class? Obviously you both shit the bed with your overall squads, but one can only assume you rate him as "World Class" if you're picking him that high. I mean considering this year's draft is still up and running I can happily take him off your hands and help you improve your squad in the process. I don't have any "slightly above average" players, but I would think in time you'd appreciate the World Class players I would be willing to offer.

You write too much for this to be fun.

Please don't besmirch Miro by mentioning these two together.

He's just pre-emptively salty that we're going to stop Leo from winning a WM before he retires :sarcasm:

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad