Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part 8 - Things Are Getting Messi

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Credit to Liverpool, but quite frankly I think most clubs would have done the same with someone like van Dijk. Even at 80% he will be serviceable.

Torn my ACL myself and had no issues with the knee after. I'm not sure how bad ACLs are these days - as long as it only happens once you got a fair shot at getting back to where you were physically. That said I don't think we will ever see van Dijk at his best again, but that level was so ridiculously high I don't think he would have reached that again even without the injury. Still think we will see a very good van Dijk quite quickly and if he doesn't become the best CD in the world again my guess he will still be among the best.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
But again, who has dominated at the highest level?
Who has killed City with Guardiola and KdB saying Aouar was way too good? Who killed Juve's midfield?

I'm not saying Odegaard sucks or anything and I agree he has high ceiling, but Aouar too and as I said the difference is one actually showed it at the highest difficulty level.

I remember Winks being hailed after he had a fantastic game against Real Madrid.

Ødegaard has also had some special special games. But I can't really compare the two in depth - I haven't watched enough of Aouar to know.

If Arsenal think they can find that "old" Ødegaard and develop him further I get why they would buy him. And if they are right they won't find many players better in that role.

From what I saw from him at Arsenal though I'm not sure what he did there for them to think he will be that good. In that sense it is a funny one. I mean he is a likeable character and extremely hard working, but I'm not sure if that is all - would be strange if it was.

FWIW - Jack Wilshere dominated a game at the highest level against Barca as a teenager. I don't think you can just split hairs between two very good players based on that logic. Arsenal should just buy both.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What exactly is the Arteta/Edu plan? It seems like one foot forward, two steps back with this club. Their summer transfer concept seems…haphazard. And I actually like Ben White, overpriced though he is. Saliba out likely never given a chance here, probably will become world class somewhere else. Willock young and English and scoring goals from midfield for fun…out. Three more years we just had to have of Xhaka “leading” the team. Beaten to the punch or targets you the likes of Villa who also took a run at one of our “young Crown Jewels” in ESR because they thought they had a chance and probably did. Two top strikers are aging and one is leaving for nothing next summer.

Is this what permanent mid-table mediocrity feels like? Ugh.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Willock is a great move add for Newcastle. Getting a midfielder than can actually get the ball and transition it to the attack(really to St. Max) is imperative for them.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
According to Romano (and others) they waited 8.

With how tough it is to get the right center back I’d much rather roll the dice with Virgil than the alternative.

Yeah but they waited 8 months because he was injured. He plays a bit in a couple friendlies and that’s all it takes

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What exactly is the Arteta/Edu plan? It seems like one foot forward, two steps back with this club. Their summer transfer concept seems…haphazard. And I actually like Ben White, overpriced though he is. Saliba out likely never given a chance here, probably will become world class somewhere else. Willock young and English and scoring goals from midfield for fun…out. Three more years we just had to have of Xhaka “leading” the team. Beaten to the punch or targets you the likes of Villa who also took a run at one of our “young Crown Jewels” in ESR because they thought they had a chance and probably did. Two top strikers are aging and one is leaving for nothing next summer.

Is this what permanent mid-table mediocrity feels like? Ugh.
Villa never had a chance for ESR. Willock had a good streak of 7 games but in the games prior to that, never looked like he’d be elite. He also would play a different role than Xhaka

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What exactly is the Arteta/Edu plan?
We have no clue because I don’t think neither of them know either. I would be more hopeful if Arsenal bought only playmakers, or only defenders, or only physical players, or actually fixed weaknesses. We just bought a bunch of random players and only one for the first team. We ain’t going anywhere with this lot.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I like Odegaard but the rumored fees seem a bit high for a guy that Real Madrid hasn't given a shot and is basically forcing out.

Reactions: S E P H

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
At this point I’m happy to have Odegaard back. It’s not like there’s something better that can happen. Thought he fit well and I like his attitude. Just get it done already.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It's pretty obvious what the transfer plan is. Get rid of dead wood and get players that can tiki taka. Will wait until the transfer window is closed to see if they can achieve that.

Losing Willock sucks but he doesn't tiki taka.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure, he sucks, but he is what we have and he is the one who can bring us Mbappé.

Plus, hey, I like this year's kit, it would give me a reason to buy it.

P.S.: Yes, I am being an irrational fan boy.
I mean nothing matters but winning lol

the smart thing to do is wait and get him free

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I mean nothing matters but winning lol

the smart thing to do is wait and get him free

It indeed is.

What I am reading is that Perez wants to make a firm 120 millions offer and see how Paris react. I do not think it is about the money for PSG, so I doubt they flinch. I also doubt they make a counter offer. They seem to think that they can keep him.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It just seem weird to see Mbappe leave when PSG have the best chances at CL for the next 2 or 3 years.

I don't buy the Messi does not change anything... it does... My feeling is that Mbappe wants a way out if he re-sign with PSG which seem like PSG does not want to offer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad