Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part 8 - Things Are Getting Messi

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Tuchel is a very good coach, but this is going to be one of the things people look back at from his career and question him for. It'll be like people questioning Mourinho's usage of Lukaku at Chelsea.

It's not quite Mourinho-Lukaku tier IMO, but it could prove to be a very foolish error. Abraham has a LOT of improving to do and is a lot more raw than Lukaku was when he left Chelsea (while also being nearly three years older) but with good coaching he could be a consistent 15-goal a year forward. Abraham's main problems are his movement (he frequently doesn't make the right runs/get into the right positions) and his hold-up play (he's shockingly weak on the ball). In the right environment where he could get better at those two things, he has a lot that he can do. It's easy to forget that he scored 15 goals in his first senior season for Chelsea. He was very poor down the stretch, but it would be very foolish for Tuchel and the club to ship him off, which is what it appears that they're planning on doing. I remain slightly hopeful that he'll end up sticking around and force his way back in.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Give him a new contract.

Hate social media. Which probably means I hate most people. Just ridiculous how much ignorant #$"%#"% you find in comment sections, twitter etc. everyone on Kane.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm under no illusions. Listening to Comical-Guardiola today it is quite obvious City will try again for Kane. I still think Kane will stay for one more year, but it is getting close to 50/50.

And I'm not sure if Spurs should refuse a GBP150m+ bid. It will hurt Spurs for this upcoming season, but Kane is not 23 any longer. I still hope he stays, but whatever happens I think Spurs will be fine.

Reactions: Creed Bratton

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Obviously Kane is elite and would be nearly impossible to replace this window. But I think it’d be tough to turn down 100+mil for a guy getting to the end of his prime that’s as injury prone as he is. But obviously losing a player of that level and marketability would be brutal.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't consider Kane especially injury prone. C0nsidering how little rest he gets when he is fit I would almost argue the opposite. He has rolled his ankles a couple of times too many, but strangely enough after the 1-2nd one those becomes easier to recover from (also easier for them to happen again).

Only 2 seasons since he became a regular in the PL has he played less than 30 games - and those two seasons he played 28 and 29.

100m there is no discussion. I'm 99% certain that is the case.

Reactions: luiginb

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm under no illusions. Listening to Comical-Guardiola today it is quite obvious City will try again for Kane. I still think Kane will stay for one more year, but it is getting close to 50/50.

And I'm not sure if Spurs should refuse a GBP150m+ bid. It will hurt Spurs for this upcoming season, but Kane is not 23 any longer. I still hope he stays, but whatever happens I think Spurs will be fine.
Believe me if you invest the 150m into very solid signing it would be way better for Spurs. LFC went through similar struggles with the sales of Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling. That could definately boost your team for the long run. No player can make a team except maybe Messi :sarcasm:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Believe me if you invest the 150m into very solid signing it would be way better for Spurs. LFC went through similar struggles with the sales of Suarez, Coutinho and Sterling. That could definately boost your team for the long run. No player can make a team except maybe Messi :sarcasm:

We tried it with Bale as well. Remember Paulinho, Chiriches? :laugh:

But I don't disagree. After a couple of more years the sale of Bale was probably the reason why Spurs had those 2-3 good seasons under Pochettino.

I'm not stressed about what happens with Kane. And even if I don't think Spurs will do very well this season I still think there is a lot of potential in the current squad.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
We tried it with Bale as well. Remember Paulinho, Chiriches? :laugh:

But I don't disagree. After a couple of more years the sale of Bale was probably the reason why Spurs had those 2-3 good seasons under Pochettino.

I'm not stressed about what happens with Kane. And even if I don't think Spurs will do very well this season I still think there is a lot of potential in the current squad.
I remember Chiriches being very good for you guys, but he was always injured, which has been his problem throughout his career.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well the only thing I can see about Messi is THANK YOU to him for all the great years he's given the club and myself as a supporter. I still hold out a little hope that the situation can be reversed, but sadly I highly doubt it happens. Where he goes is his choice, but I don't think I'll like it.

We'll see what the club does now. I really wish they'd have nailed all this down prior to last season ending and been notably more aggressive in getting rid of the dead wood players of which there are plenty. The situation surely isn't easy, but I'm sure they could have done more. That said they inherited a nightmare.

Even with Messi gone the club still needs to get rid of the dead wood and some of the big salaries. Start with a rebuild largely across the board. As I've said, I'd get aggressive. Let players know they're on the block and that they won't play for the club again under any circumstances, so it's best they find a new club.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I remember Chiriches being very good for you guys, but he was always injured, which has been his problem throughout his career.

He showed some potential, but I don't agree that he was very good. At least not for a club that wanted to fight for top 4.

I liked him early on. Same with some of the others like Paulinho and Chadli. Not bad players just not good enough for a top 6-7 PL club.

How has his career been since?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Collado no longer going to Bruges as he'll stay with Barça.

We'll see how the season goes, but I'd like to see Trincao get a shot if we don't have Messi.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Will never forget Mad Vlad. He had an incredible confidence in his technical ability. Pulled off things you never expect from a centre half. Would bite him in the ass plenty of times though.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
He showed some potential, but I don't agree that he was very good. At least not for a club that wanted to fight for top 4.

I liked him early on. Same with some of the others like Paulinho and Chadli. Not bad players just not good enough for a top 6-7 PL club.

How has his career been since?
One of the best players in Sassuolo, which is probably his level. Injuries derailed his career in Napoli, and to be honest the occasional brain fart. He likes to carry the ball forward, and sometimes he loses it too easily.

Reactions: Havre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad