Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It is if you're trying to be an oil club; but with Arsenal's revenues, they make enough money to spend a lot more than they do. I'm having a harder time seeing Kroenke send down the message to maximize profits than I am seeing Wenger just being unwilling to spend like a big boy.

Reactions: S E P H

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It is if you're trying to be an oil club; but with Arsenal's revenues, they make enough money to spend a lot more than they do. I'm having a harder time seeing Kroenke send down the message to maximize profits than I am seeing Wenger just being unwilling to spend like a big boy.
We'll see soon.

Have a feeling after #wengerout we'll se #kroenkeout

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Avs operate in a world of cost certainty, Arsenal operate in a world where cost increases are frequent and where the competition you're trying to catch is able to spend essentially unlimited amounts.

Kroenke doesn't hate winning, but he isn't in the sports ownership game to lose money so he can lift random trophies.

Reactions: cgf

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

I mean, in the last 7 years since Kroenke took over entirely, Arsenal have a net spend of -223M, which was ~10% of their revenue over that time judging by Deloitte's numbers for 2012-2017. When you consider that their current wage bill is 55% of their revenue, they are probably spending a greater share of their revenue (~65%) on player expenses than the Avs are (62% the past 3 years). It's just more variable from year to year whether they'll come out even or be deep in the red on transfers.

Reactions: cgf

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I understand that viewpoint.

The point I'm trying to make is: if Wenger wasn't winning major trophies because he refused to use all of his available resources/funds, don't you think he would be gone by now?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I understand that viewpoint.

The point I'm trying to make is: if Wenger wasn't winning major trophies because he refused to use all of his available resources/funds, don't you think he would be gone by now?

Normally, maybe, but Kroenke is a super hands-off owner. He let Greg from Accounting spend league minimum during the early stages of the rebuild, before Roykic came on board & started to use everything at their disposal.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The issue is Stan gives full autonomy to Wenger. He's the one who pulled the trigger on his new contract.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well, at the end of the day, the problem does not truly lie in the fact that either Wenger or Kroenke is cheap. Let's say it's up to Wenger, he's looking for the diamond in the rough, the smart deal, OK fine, there may have been years the team could have been better if they'd been willing to go out and spend the buck, and I've been one to occasionally be frustrated by it, but if we're talking right now, present day, the problem is that Wenger is out of touch in terms of tactics. If it's Kroenke, that problem may persist, but Arsenal has no way forward with Wenger at the helm, all respect to what he's been able to do in his time.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It honestly would not surprise me. But I think Madrid is more likely.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Sessegnon has chosen Tottenham.
Nope.

Hes gone for 50+ million in the Summer if Fulham don't get promoted.
Fulham are favourites for the playoffs, and have a chance at automatic promotion. He had a oppritunity to pull a Dembele and leave on a free+compensation but signed till 2019 instead, as he values playing regularly in the 5th best league in Europe.

He will be able to have his pick of any elite club on the continent. why would he choose spurs? and thats assuming Levy opens up his cheque book for a record signing.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nope.

Fulham are favourites for the playoffs, and have a chance at automatic promotion. He had a oppritunity to pull a Dembele and leave on a free+compensation but signed till 2019 instead, as he values playing regularly in the 5th best league in Europe.

He will be able to have his pick of any elite club on the continent. why would he choose spurs? and thats assuming Levy opens up his cheque book for a record signing.
Careful, you're going to call down some heavy angst.

The 'pick of any elite club' thing might be a stretch right now, but the reality is that he's still 17 and has a lot of development to go. It doesn't matter what he's shown at this point there's no top team in the world that's going to give an 18 year old fullback from the Championship a full time position or as much responsibility as he has at Fulham (before someone brings up TAA, who has been phenomenal, he's a rotational player and doesn't have the same level of responsibility or focus that Sessegnon has at Fulham). He can be a star there so if they're promoted he might as well stay put, and if not he should go to Wolverhampton, Bournemouth or Watford (IMO). Teams that still play offensive football despite being smaller sides and where he can still be one of the focal points of the team despite his age/experience.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Nope.

He wouldn't get too much playing time on the top-top clubs. Tottenham are a selling team, so he can play a few years for them, raise his value and secure a move to Utd/City/other giant down the line. Plus he gets to stay in London.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What happened to that player that left for like 40 million within the EPL??? Bolaise or someshit? This seems like a rerun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad