Transfer: Summer transfer rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Monaco once got relegated trying to do that. It is definitely not a fool-proof system. The intrinsic issue of being a Southampton is that every signing you make is a big gamble. Leicester is trying to do it and has spent a ton of money on busts. Benalouane, Mendy, Musa, and Slimani are good examples. They signed the right players a handful of times, but truthfully, they're straight back in the yo-yo zone where they were before. So they went straight back to signing 28 and 30 year olds after spending all that money on busts.
I'll correct two things here (though I agree with the general point) :
1- Monaco didn't get relegated with this model. They got bought in Ligue 2 AND THEN applied this model. In fact, they were close to relegation FROM Ligue 2 when they got bought. First purchase I think was Ocampos for 15M€. Which proved to be a bust :)
2- N. Mendy isn't a bust by any means. He got injured as soon as he started playing for Leicester. He's still injured, but the talent is there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'll correct two things here (though I agree with the general point) :
1- Monaco didn't get relegated with this model. They got bought in Ligue 2 AND THEN applied this model. In fact, they were close to relegation FROM Ligue 2 when they got bought. First purchase I think was Ocampos for 15M€. Which proved to be a bust :)
2- N. Mendy isn't a bust by any means. He got injured as soon as he started playing for Leicester. He's still injured, but the talent is there.

See, I thought that they were trying it when they picked up Adu, Pino, Haruna (FM legend), and Park in the first place. Those players turned out to not be very great but I thought that was their intention. Still remember trying to find streams to watch Adu.

I agree with #2, he isn't a bust in the talent sense, but in the financial sense they will never get back what they paid for him, plus a lot more like they did with Kante and certainly should do with Ndidi. They have other players like Amartey who will probably never leave for a big fee either.

As for Southampton, because I completely forgot about that when it was mentioned, the reason teams don't do it is because it doesn't work unless every transfer is 100% correct. Southampton may well be relegated for their trouble. Liverpool has given them tons of money, but it actually isn't enough money. Their growth as a club was dependent upon getting even more. Players like Gaston Ramirez, Boufal, Clasie, Osvaldo, and Wanyama are players who either need to leave now for more or needed to leave for more. As the market inflates and it costs too much for them to buy players it just doesn't work.

van Dijk for 75 million actually doesn't even come close to covering their losses because so much of that has to go straight back in the team (which they didn't do) or they get relegated.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
It’s crazy to me that there aren’t more clubs like Monaco and Southampton. Where they spend most of their money in scouting, get top young talent and just keep selling them. Obviously you have to keep some to keep your club good but get someone like Mbappe or Bale and then sell them for 100M or whatever.

Portuguese teams do that a lot. Benfica used to be the kings of buying cheap talent from SA then selling to top European clubs for a huge profit. Some examples: Di Maria brought for 8M, sold for 33M; Enzo Perez 2,5 M, sold for 25M; David Luiz 900 mil euros, sold for 25M; They also have had a lot of success buying European players from smaller leagues like Alex Witsel, Matic, Oblak, Lindelof, etc then selling for profit.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Bellerin rumored to Juve too. He's been really poor the past 2 years after being godly his first full season in the league. He'll probably become world-class under Allegri.

Wouldn't it be easier to just bring Allegri to Arsenal? :naughty:

They got lucky that Klopp wanted to go there. They backed into him.

Leaving aside potential personal sympathies of Klopp, I think you're sincerely underestimating the draw of taking a team with such an impressive trophy closet that is languishing and returning them to their former glory, with the added bonus of being given the leeway of doing it your way and not having to do it right away. As others have stated, Arsenal certainly also has some of that draw (one can hope), but with the situation they're in now, you have to think fans aren't going to be giving any new coach the length of leash they have at Liverpool. Good coaches are looking for a challenge, for a place to make their mark. Was Liverpool lucky they were having a string of bad years? Or were they lucky they have such a storied history?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
*shrug* he's a pretty great owner in colorado. Has no problem paying up and is completely hands off; letting the sports people make the sports decisions.

That's why I've long suspected that Arsenal is cheap just because Arsene is cheap and likes the reputation that he used to have; Kroenke just made a convenient scapegoat for Arsenal fans who weren't ready to turn on Wenger.
Maybe they are both cheap.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Then why does he spend big on the Avs? Are we to believe that he secretly just cares more about the avs than he does Arsenal?
Maybe he's more interested in making money from Arsenal. If you were interested in top-four finish and CL revenue, wouldn't you be happy with a manager who achieves those more often than not - without asking for expensive signings? Happy enough - perhaps - to keep him as manager of a big club despite winning no league titles in the last 14 years and no CL titles ever?

Don't Arsene's peers usually have higher expectations?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Don't need Sessegnon tbh. Actually can't believe I'm saying that because I'm used to horrible left backs, but Liverpool doesn't need him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Don't need Sessegnon tbh. Actually can't believe I'm saying that because I'm used to horrible left backs, but Liverpool doesn't need him.
If he would take a back-up role I'd take him in a heartbeat and send Moreno along. He's also versatile and can play as a winger when needed which provides depth up front.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's too good to be a backup. I would also rather have Woodburn in the backup left wing spot.
Woodburn shouldn't be playing the wing though, and isn't a winger, and he'll be stifled trying to play there especially in the PL. He needs to be playing in Firmino's role or the midfield. IMO.

As for Sessegnon being too good to be a back-up...he's 17. He's not going to be an out-and-out starter at any big club in England.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He's too good to be a backup. I would also rather have Woodburn in the backup left wing spot.
I disagree. I’d much rather have Sessegnon there. Also I feel like Woodburn winds up in the midfield three, not at forward so that point could be moot. Sessegnon would be an incredible signing and we know he is a Klopp target.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Woodburn shouldn't be playing the wing though, and isn't a winger, and he'll be stifled trying to play there especially in the PL. He needs to be playing in Firmino's role or the midfield. IMO.

As for Sessegnon being too good to be a back-up...he's 17. He's not going to be an out-and-out starter at any big club in England.

Anyone who would pay 50m for a backup left back is psychotic. Don't care how good they are.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Anyone who would pay 50m for a backup left back is psychotic. Don't care how good they are.
These days money doesn't really matter. At the same time if he's good enough to usurp Robertson (I highly doubt it) then he is. If he's not he'll accept being a rotational player who will get minutes probably as a winger and as a fullback.

Though I doubt he actually comes to Liverpool anyway. I think his best option is to stay where he is for another year for his development (or go to a club like Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester or maybe join Wolverhampton if he really wants to play in the PL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->