Transfer: Summer Transfer News and Rumors Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
@Savi

What's the consensus on the Zinho Vanheusden transfer to Standard Liege? Doesn't that seem really odd?

Most are looking at that move very suspiciously from Serie A's perspective.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I don't know what the consensus is since this news just broke and nothing's definitive yet. First of, I'm wondering how Standard will be able to afford this. Second, rumour is there will be another top (Belgian and also playing for Inter) prospect involved. Third, this move might only be possible if Inter is in FFP trouble.

One thing's for sure this would be an amazing buy for Standard since Vanheusden was fantastic for them this season. Kid's not even 20 years old and plays like a proven veteran.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Exactly, as soon as I found out, I looked at Liege's transfer history on Transfermarkt and their record signing is 4.8m.

Vanheusden is being bought for 18-20m.

Yeah, the other kid involved is Xian Emmers. Initially it was reported that Liege was buying both for 25m combined, but apparently, Emmers is just a loan move.

And yeah, Inter's FFP issues is what adds to the suspicion. They had to make sales of 40m before the 30th this month, and now after this random move, they're suddenly halfway towards accomplishing it.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Exactly, as soon as I found out, I looked at Liege's transfer history on Transfermarkt and their record signing is 4.8m.

Vanheusden is being bought for 18-20m.

Genk bought Theo Bongonda today for €7m which is a new record for a Belgian club, so yeah Standard would have to triple that.

However, if they really want, they could do it. They've just sold Djenepo to Southampton for big money, they recently sold Luyindama to Galatasaray, Marin to Ajax, some other might leave as well and they're already certain of a Europa League group stage spot. If they really want, they can spend €20m on new players this summer (which would be the smart thing to do since they have some holes in their lineup) but they could just as well wire that €20m to Inter for Vanheusden. I think they (and probably everyone who watched Standard on a regular basis this season) are convinced this will be an investment they'll end up making a profit from.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Theo Bongonda is an interesting player. Seems to be finding his stride again but always seemed very talented.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
@Savi

Cheers, thanks for the info. Juve does this kinda stuff all the time where they sell prospects to Italian minnows for super suspicious prices, and now that they're run by an ex-Juve man, my first inclination was to look at this move like it was shady as hell.

Still seems really weird, but what you said makes sense.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
There's some talk picking up with Lukaku and Inter. He and Icardi play the same way so I am very confused.

Moving on from Icardi isn't because of tactics or skill-set.

It's purely a culture move. Icardi's a headcase, Lukaku isn't.

If the plan is to play them together, then I'd be pretty shocked as well. For on and off the pitch reasons.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There's some talk picking up with Lukaku and Inter. He and Icardi play the same way so I am very confused.

I just don't see how this materializes monetarily.

United either have to take a big loss, or player swap. I don't see them all that into a player swap.

I guess Inter could get Lukaku loan to buy, and sell Icardi. Informal agreement the loan to buy is really buy with deferred cash.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
haha, Icardi's not quite as bad at link-up play as it's commonly portrayed amongst fans, but yeah, he's no Firmino.

Saw a pretty interesting analysis of this a month or two ago, check out the heat-maps:

Icardi:

Icardi-Season-Heat-Map.png

Martinez:

Martinez-Season-Heat-Map.png

Dzeko:

Dzeko-Season-Heat-Map.png

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

United either have to take a big loss, or player swap. I don't see them all that into a player swap.

I guess Inter could get Lukaku loan to buy, and sell Icardi. Informal agreement the loan to buy is really buy with deferred cash.

Yeah man, I said from the beginning this transfer will be difficult to complete unless United admit they overpaid for Lukaku.

My initial stab at a guess was a loan with an option (or obligation) for like 55m.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

In a vacuum I’d be all over a Lukaku/Icardi swap. But mans a head case and his wife even more so, which means I wouldn’t want to do it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Moving on from Icardi isn't because of tactics or skill-set.

It's purely a culture move. Icardi's a headcase, Lukaku isn't.

If the plan is to play them together, then I'd be pretty shocked as well. For on and off the pitch reasons.

It's more that:

- I don't understand why they'd do a like for like swap.

- I don't know who is buying Icardi.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
It's more that:

- I don't understand why they'd do a like for like swap.

- I don't know who is buying Icardi.

Inter or United?

Lukaku's a good fit for Conte, imo. He's by no means the target-man some say he is (really his best trait is playing on the shoulders of the last man and running the channels), but Conte's smart enough to know this already.

It's really just about the character upgrade, imo.

Yeah, I dunno about Icardi's market either, man. I really, really don't. I've thought about it, and there's no obvious option at all. Someone would have to surprise me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad