Summer Olympics

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Simone is out of the Vault and Bars.

Sad about her still not being able to compete but happy MyKayla Skinner and Jade Carey now have an opportunity to get a medal.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Right after I posted that, I saw it. I'm one of the peasants who doesn't see it on my TV lol

You need 2 things - A 4K set which is pretty standard now AND a cable provider that can handle it -

DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Cox, Optimum, FuboTV, Verizon and YouTube TV have said they plan to show the Olympics in 4K.
But what about Charter’s Spectrum TV, the nation’s second largest cable TV service?

Nope.

In fact, Charter will not only not provide the Olympics in 4K, the cable op has never done anything in 4K.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Well done to Ledecky on the 800m gold. She's owned that event for a long time. And Dressel breaking the 100 'fly WR was massive too.
I don't know how they do it because I'm exhausted watching it.

I've been thinking about getting back in the pool since my leg is still healing but I can only imagine how hard it would be to get a lane at the pool with olympic fever in full force

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
You need 2 things - A 4K set which is pretty standard now AND a cable provider that can handle it -

DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Cox, Optimum, FuboTV, Verizon and YouTube TV have said they plan to show the Olympics in 4K.
But what about Charter’s Spectrum TV, the nation’s second largest cable TV service?

Nope.

In fact, Charter will not only not provide the Olympics in 4K, the cable op has never done anything in 4K.
I have Comcast, but by the time I get around to buying a 4K set, they will probably be on 27K. :laugh: I mean, I only just got rid of my 500-lb big box TV last year o_O

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have Comcast, but by the time I get around to buying a 4K set, they will probably be on 27K. :laugh: I mean, I only just got rid of my 500-lb big box TV last year o_O

My cubicle in Stamford. CT

upload_2021-7-30_22-41-26.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't know how they do it because I'm exhausted watching it.

I've been thinking about getting back in the pool since my leg is still healing but I can only imagine how hard it would be to get a lane at the pool with olympic fever in full force

That is true, but swimming is great for recovery and I assume there are slower lanes and faster ones same as here so it could be well worth looking into. I'm not a great swimmer but my wife was right on the cusp of pushing for Olympic selection in breaststroke when she was a teenager - i.e. she was swimming 100m times that would have been good enough for 7th in the Olympic final at that time. At age 14 she reached that point where you either go all in and sacrifice pretty much everything else to try and make it, or you give up the chase. She chose to stop and prioritize other things in life, which she doesn't regret at all. Now she just enjoys swimming for fitness and relaxation - it's the one she can do where her brain goes completely quiet and serene.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
That is true, but swimming is great for recovery and I assume there are slower lanes and faster ones same as here so it could be well worth looking into. I'm not a great swimmer but my wife was right on the cusp of pushing for Olympic selection in breaststroke when she was a teenager - i.e. she was swimming 100m times that would have been good enough for 7th in the Olympic final at that time. At age 14 she reached that point where you either go all in and sacrifice pretty much everything else to try and make it, or you give up the chase. She chose to stop and prioritize other things in life, which she doesn't regret at all. Now she just enjoys swimming for fitness and relaxation - it's the one she can do where her brain goes completely quiet and serene.
When I swim I do it at 5am so I can take it slow and steady. I love being in the water and have since I was really little. I’ll wait to see how my pt evaluation goes on Monday and if they say yes I will pay for the membership

Swim was always something I looked forward to in the summer. We had a little over an hour of swim lessons every day for 6 weeks and then the same amount of free swim every afternoon at summer camp and then we’d go to my grandparents on the weekend and be in the pool all day.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well I was going to post a video of some senior citizens doing their own Olympic torch relay but apparently the Facebook link is weird.

But it was cute.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Total domination this morning by the Jamaicans at the Women's 100 M final, claiming all 3 medals. Defending champion Elaine Thompson-Herah led home a Jamaican clean sweep in the Olympic women's 100 metres final, posting an amazing 10.61 seconds to become the second-fastest woman in history.

Athletics-Brilliant Thompson-Herah leads Jamaican sweep in 100m

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Running a camera with a joystick 7,000 miles away is 'fun'

227117632_10224278137713808_8391873750461086290_n.jpg

Israel is about to eliminate Mexico in baseball
1f631.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Adrian Gonzalez as he did 10 years ago in Boston will say 'It was God's will'.

Israel eliminates Mexico

228694348_10224278240316373_2650786730824220244_n.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The lack of warmup in gymnastics is dangerous and I hope the athletes complain. The IOC and FIG are too focused on viewers and money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad