Summer Olympics

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My 16-hour shift ends with a thud.........
Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

228863650_10224285374614726_4548682154355654264_n.jpg

Of course they hit Tanaka then lost. Of course.

At least the sox have the best guy on the team

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm good with soccer losing, too many insufferable personalities on that team who overall got way too full of themselves and needed a reality check

The whole fight over salary certainly has left a sour taste, especially when one considers they are actually paid more than the men, but continue to distort the statistics. In fact they were offered the same contract the men have, and of course rejected it because they realized it would be a substantial cut in pay and benefits

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I always felt that they were way way too harshly punished for that. Both teams were trying to win the tournament by playing the long game. Within the structure of the tournament that the IOC and the badminton federation presented to them, they were not doing anything wrong. If the optics are bad, change the qualification structure to discourage it. But don't expel 8 world class players who were just trying to increase their chances at winning an olympic medal over pearl-clutching moralism like "the spirit of competition!"
I disagree with you there.

They made a public mockery of their sport in its biggest international venue. Just because you don't like the qualification process doesn't give you the right to shit on the game. I don't like tanking, regardless of the sport.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I disagree with you there.

They made a public mockery of their sport in its biggest international venue. Just because you don't like the qualification process doesn't give you the right to shit on the game. I don't like tanking, regardless of the sport.

The ultimate end goal for all the teams involved was to best position themselves for a medal. They weren't throwing the competition altogether or losing for any money. It was within the rules and the IOC had no precedent to take the actions they did. If there were progressive disciplinary actions or prior warnings it's one thing, but throwing out competitors in the snap of a finger for attempting to win a medal was too harsh.

It's like if it's game 82 and if the Bruins win they lock themselves into playing Tampa in the first round and if they lose they're locked into a more preferable opponent. You know you'd ice a lineup of Zach Senyshyns and sit down Bergy and McAvoy for rest.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The ultimate end goal for all the teams involved was to best position themselves for a medal. They weren't throwing the competition altogether or losing for any money. It was within the rules and the IOC had no precedent to take the actions they did. If there were progressive disciplinary actions or prior warnings it's one thing, but throwing out competitors in the snap of a finger for attempting to win a medal was too harsh.

It's like if it's game 82 and if the Bruins win they lock themselves into playing Tampa in the first round and if they lose they're locked into a more preferable opponent. You know you'd ice a lineup of Zach Senyshyns and sit down Bergy and McAvoy for rest.
But the players were warned.....repeatedly, during the match.

Also, I don't agree with your hockey analogy. Losing a game would get you a tougher seed in the playoffs, not an easier one. Also, I don't equate resting players late in the season to prepare for the playoffs, to tanking to get a better draw. Those teams earned that rest by winning more games in the regular season. Not losing.

Lets just agree to disagree on this one....

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
This is what getting too cocky gets you. Shericka Jackson (Jamaican Sprinter) learned a painful lesson in the 200m heats on Monday that ended hopes of adding another medal to her tally.

Unbelievably, the 100m bronze medallist slowed down before crossing the finish line and, as a result, missed out on qualification for the final by four one-thousandths of a second.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC is aware of issues on PEACOCK with the USA/Spain men's basketball game.

Demand for the game is much higher than expected

229903565_10224288968144562_174330989712330161_n.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
This is what getting too cocky gets you. Shericka Jackson (Jamaican Sprinter) learned a painful lesson in the 200m heats on Monday that ended hopes of adding another medal to her tally.

Unbelievably, the 100m bronze medallist slowed down before crossing the finish line and, as a result, missed out on qualification for the final by four one-thousandths of a second.

This happened to my niece during a HS meet. Her coach had warned her not to slow down when she was close to the tape but keep running right through it. She didn't and another girl beat her by some ridiculously small margin. Lesson learned- from then on to college she always sprints through even if she's out of contention (which isn't often!)

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
This happened to my niece during a HS meet. Her coach had warned her not to slow down when she was close to the tape but keep running right through it. She didn't and another girl beat her by some ridiculously small margin. Lesson learned- from then on to college she always sprints through even if she's out of contention (which isn't often!)
Almost happened again today in the Men's 200 heats. Reigning world champion Noah Lyles (US) was ahead and winning. As Lyles slowed, though, Canadian Aaron Brown and Joseph Fahnbulleh of Liberia sprinted through the line. He ended up in 3rd and had to wait till all the heats were done to see if he advanced as one of the 2 fastest 3rd place finishers. He did but it was so close to costing him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/08/03/noah-lyles-200-meter-semifinals-olympics/

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I feel bad for the women on the gymnastics team not named Simone Biles. She's all any media members want to talk about. Asking them about their own achievements is secondary. I was watching the Today Show this morning and Hoda (who I usually love) was so focused on Simone it made me a little uncomfortable.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I feel bad for the women on the gymnastics team not named Simone Biles. She's all any media members want to talk about. Asking them about their own achievements is secondary. I was watching the Today Show this morning and Hoda (who I usually love) was so focused on Simone it made me a little uncomfortable.
Hoda's been on another level with the team and it is kind of scary.

I just watched an interview with Suni and Jade and they immediately go to the Simone question.

Poor Grace gets asked maybe 2 questions and then it is over to Jordan or Simone. I will give Simone credit in that she really tries to steer the interviewer to the other girls.

I'll be interested to see what happens when they all get home and the agents start stepping in.

I'm looking forward to watching 4 of the 6 girls compete in college and hopefully I'll be able to see them live if they have a meet at Oklahoma and I am there.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Hoda's been on another level with the team and it is kind of scary.

I just watched an interview with Suni and Jade and they immediately go to the Simone question.

Poor Grace gets asked maybe 2 questions and then it is over to Jordan or Simone. I will give Simone credit in that she really tries to steer the interviewer to the other girls.

I'll be interested to see what happens when they all get home and the agents start stepping in.

I'm looking forward to watching 4 of the 6 girls compete in college and hopefully I'll be able to see them live if they have a meet at Oklahoma and I am there.

It reminds me of how once I saw an interview where the Jacksons were on Arsenio to promote an album they were releasing in the late 80s/early 90s, but Arsenio just kept asking every question about Michael and Janet, and the brothers were just looking really uncomfortable.

Reactions: Alicat

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't know if anyone watched the prelims of the Skateboarding, but my goodness, Sky Brown is a force of nature at barely 13. 4'6" about 80 pounds, and one of the biggest smiles/personality in the world. Hope she is able to win the gold

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What does this guy have all over his body?

Also, that dive was just insane

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Congrats to Canada's Damian Warner titled the greatest 'Male Athlete' in this olympics. As he claimed the gold medal in the Tokyo decathlon on Thursday, becoming the first athlete to surpass 9,000 points in the event at the Olympic Games. His kick at the end of the 1500 M was what pushed him to go over the fabled point barrier.
Warner is the first Canadian in history, and just the fourth athlete overall, to break the 9,000-point barrier in a decathlon, finishing Thursday's event at 9,018 points. Silver medallist Kevin Mayer (France) holds the world record of 9,126 points. This goes with Andre De Grasse winning Gold in the 200's yesterday as 2 very good days on the track for the Canadian Men.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad