Summer Olympics

Babajingo

Anyone who plays water polo a) is super human and b) has my undying respect :bow:

Agree. I went to prep school out in western mass. Was the hockey goalie. The water polo team asked if I wanted to try goalie. I thought I was in shape and could handle it. No way. And that was the goalie, who doesn't swim much. That was D2 prep school and they were in sick shape. The Olympians? super human. I always think Water Polo and XCountry Skiing are the hardest sports.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Anyone who plays water polo a) is super human and b) has my undying respect :bow:

It's a great, super tough sport. And the amount of outright violence that goes on underneath the water would make a hockey player blush - there's a reason the players' suits are so very very tight!

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I think of how I used to play badminton in the back yard :biglaugh:
Jarts all the way.

Wish we had kept the set my grandparents had. We played that and horseshoes, with actual metal horseshoes, and lived to tell the tales lol. I can still hear those horseshoes hitting the metal pole. Those things were heavy.

toria13

Sep 18, 2019

My college roommate was a water polo goalie and she was tough as nails. She was concussed twice and at one point got a fractured cheekbone from getting elbowed directly in the face on a save.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-8-2_6-2-46.png

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So happy we will see Simone tomorrow in the beam final.

For all those ready to rip into her and make crude comments, the twisties do not impact her on the event.

Also, hell yea Jade Carey!

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My 16-hour shift ends with a thud.........
Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

228863650_10224285374614726_4548682154355654264_n.jpg

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Flo-Jo is looking down and smiling
Yes, I find is very appealing how athletes can be happy when their records are broken (in this case Flo-Jo's Olympic time).

I was at the game in Buffalo when Gretzky beat Espo's goal total of 76 in a season. They stopped the game and Phil made a very touching speech. Gretzky had chances but ended up scoring 3 in the last period to get to 79, he only needed one.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yes, I find is very appealing how athletes can be happy when their records are broken (in this case Flo-Jo's Olympic time).

I was at the game in Buffalo when Gretzky beat Espo's goal total of 76 in a season. They stopped the game and Phil made a very touching speech. Gretzky had chances but ended up scoring 3 in the last period to get to 79, he only needed one.
Well Flo-Jo has been dead for 23 years hence why I said she’s looking down and smiling

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Claude would have been very impressed by the Canadian Women's Soccer team this morning winning 1-0 with a splendid defensive display.

They will have a up hill battle with Sweden for Gold. I expect the Swedes to win this time after losing to Germany in Rio.

Nice to see the all time Women's scoring leader Christine Sinclair at age 38 get a shot a gold.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Claude would have been very impressed by the Canadian Women's Soccer team this morning winning 1-0 with a splendid defensive display.

They will have a up hill battle with Sweden for Gold. I expect the Swedes to win this time after losing to Germany in Rio.

Nice to see the all time Women's scoring leader Christine Sinclair at age 38 get a shot a gold.

Congrats to Canada. Well deserved

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
@BMC - From 2004

I love Mary Carillo. She's one of the best sports reporters in the business, male or female.

Speaking of Olympic Badminton, I will NEVER forget this little episode from the London 2012 Games......China vs S Korea doubles.

2 of the best teams in the world playing each other.........and deliberately trying to LOSE.

Here's the full 30 minute match in case anyone is interested.....and I don't know why you would be.

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I love Mary Carillo. She's one of the best sports reporters in the business, male or female.

Speaking of Olympic Badminton, I will NEVER forget this little episode from the London 2012 Games......China vs S Korea doubles.

2 of the best teams in the world playing each other.........and deliberately trying to LOSE.

Here's the full 30 minute match in case anyone is interested.....and I don't know why you would be.

She was the speaker at the my college graduation as I believe I went to school with her daughter. She did a great job. It’s easy to see why she’s been so successful in her career

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I always felt that they were way way too harshly punished for that. Both teams were trying to win the tournament by playing the long game. Within the structure of the tournament that the IOC and the badminton federation presented to them, they were not doing anything wrong. If the optics are bad, change the qualification structure to discourage it. But don't expel 8 world class players who were just trying to increase their chances at winning an olympic medal over pearl-clutching moralism like "the spirit of competition!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad