OT: Summer Fitness Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
20A72D98-BBC5-4283-8EB4-52B3AC6A378E.jpeg
First time back on the ice in over a year. Should count as cardio for the month. My hands are still there but holy crap are my calves burning.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
www.kropptops.com
Not sure if I'm allowed to promote on here, you guys can delete this if it's against site rules.

Haven't really ventured into this thread but during COVID I started a gym t-shirt business. I would love to get feedback from the lifters on here!

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
www.kropptops.com
Not sure if I'm allowed to promote on here, you guys can delete this if it's against site rules.

Haven't really ventured into this thread but during COVID I started a gym t-shirt business. I would love to get feedback from the lifters on here!

If it gets deleted I get it no worries, I always tell startup fitness comps that focus primarily on shirts to also make shorts. I'm a runner and I have enough t-shirts for everyone on this board. Finding a pair of good shorts is so underrated.

Reactions: The Sweetness

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Does anyone know where I could order 20lb dumbbells for a reasonable price? I donated my old ones when I moved and have been using the quarantine and WFH situation to get in shape again - don’t have a sturdy enough door frame for a pull up bar and my chest is getting out of balance with my back. Really need dumbbells to do rows but I can’t find them anywhere, presumably I’m not the only one trying to work out more from home with everything going on.
Late to this but I was looking for 2x20 LB dumbells since March every day and found them at Dick's in Maspeth after Labor Day. They had a bunch available.

Reactions: haveandare

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
One of these days I'm going to make the drive to the small gym at the office building where I used to work, about 40 minutes away. It must be empty unless there are people who are thinking like me.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Been lifting heavily since June w/ me mates, totally wrecked my back squatting last week so I've been taking a break.

Definitely going to be a step back in my lifts when I start up again.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Been lifting heavily since June w/ me mates, totally wrecked my back squatting last week so I've been taking a break.

The loss of strength is frustrating. Starting to work on re-building it Starting Strength style.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017

If you haven't tried already I would elevate your heels while squatting when you go back to take some pressure off.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For those who have gone back to the gym, how is everyone feeling?

Am still working on getting strength back. Conditioning as well. Both are slowly coming. I also found that proper form for the more complicated lifts went to hell as well. Working on getting that back.

And just for fun, what is your favorite & least favorite lift? Or workout if not a regular lifter?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I've been doing walks, every other day. Yesterday, 4.4 miles in about 80 minutes.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
For those who have gone back to the gym, how is everyone feeling?

Am still working on getting strength back. Conditioning as well. Both are slowly coming. I also found that proper form for the more complicated lifts went to hell as well. Working on getting that back.

And just for fun, what is your favorite & least favorite lift? Or workout if not a regular lifter?

I’m in the same boat. Conditioning is actually more evident; these heavy lifts just deplete me so rapidly. I used to squat 405x5 for 3 sets. 275 for 6 is murder right now. Deadlift I haven’t attempted anything past 405 and I had 615 as my PR pre-Covid. It’s frustrating but it’s just nice to be lifting again.

Deadlift is and always will be my favorite lift but I’m really enjoying all of my shoulder accessories right now. Becoming my favorite day, especially rear delts.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Deadlift is and always will be my favorite lift but I’m really enjoying all of my shoulder accessories right now. Becoming my favorite day, especially rear delts.
The snatch is like golf, a fickle, fickle mistress. That one lift has every single one of my weaknesses in it. I also hate squatting, but understand that legs are everything. So I continue to do all three.

Power lifting wise, deadlift and press remain faves. Although if you want to go back to good ole' meathead days, who doesn't love a good bench press?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I miss my gym so much. Ive been running 3-4 times a week, but my muscle mass is taking a hit and I havent been on the ice in months. My team is skating again but I choose to sit it out until I see some transmission rates go back to what they were in the summer, when the league was shut down! Sucks.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
anyone going to play beer league once NYS opens up the rinks next week?

I don't even know how that's gonna work. it was hard to enough to get icetime for men's league pre-covid and now with all the covid precautions and extra time in between to prep the rink, it's gonna be really tough.

for now, i'm just playing roller hockey which is thriving on the LI right now.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Any recommendations for someone who wants to get back into roller? I put my name on a FA list for Skate Safe and Sportime but never got any action lol. I haven't played since college 10 years ago but I think after a little practice I'll find it again. Really need something competitive for the winter.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Nice stick, I still have a Stealth laying around in my garage that I break out, not my 'daily driver' though. Scared as shit to break it because it's my last Easton I have left.

For some reason it’s my favorite twig. I’ve got a couple supremes and true sticks but that’s been my favorite. I think I have an Easton mako somewhere in the garage too.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So for the third time in my life, had a workout that I actually booted after. First time I was hungover and off a plane ride the night before so not sure if it counts. But yeah, this morning after my strength portion, I was doing my conditioning piece. About 5 minutes after it being over, off I went.

So now I am curious (and there is nothing really else going on hockey wise right now), what workout (if any) have you done that have made you feel that way?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So for the third time in my life, had a workout that I actually booted after. First time I was hungover and off a plane ride the night before so not sure if it counts. But yeah, this morning after my strength portion, I was doing my conditioning piece. About 5 minutes after it being over, off I went.

So now I am curious (and there is nothing really else going on hockey wise right now), what workout (if any) have you done that have made you feel that way?

In college, if we had a crap practice (or the team seemed hungover) or if we had a really bad game, our coach would put a bucket upside down on the center ice dot and sprint us until someone booted. It was never me.

Getting back into the gym about 2 months ago we ran 315x8 deads EMOM and it had been so long since I’d moved any kind of weight that I knew I was going to boot so I sat the last two rounds out.

I’ve been close a good handful of times but I’ve never actually pulled the trigger.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In college, if we had a crap practice (or the team seemed hungover) or if we had a really bad game, our coach would put a bucket upside down on the center ice dot and sprint us until someone booted. It was never me.

Getting back into the gym about 2 months ago we ran 315x8 deads EMOM and it had been so long since I’d moved any kind of weight that I knew I was going to boot so I sat the last two rounds out.

I’ve been close a good handful of times but I’ve never actually pulled the trigger.
Did the strength piece today. Then the conditioning was 5 rounds of 10 pull ups, 20 power snatches (very light weight at 75), 30 front squats (again 75 pounds). 2 minutes of rest between the rounds. I fooled myself into thinking that the light weight was going to make this easier. Boy, was I wrong. The sheer volume did me in.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Started getting into climbing recently, despite being petrified of heights. Great overall workout and the rush I get from actually getting to the top of a wall+the problem solving along the way is something else. The amount of indirect contact with countless people is worrying though. Fortunately no scares yet.

Does anyone have any advice as far as how to get in to hockey right now? I'm talking basement level basics of skating/puck handling/etc. Of all the rinks near me, they either don't do beginner lessons/sessions for adults, or they do but they were only offered at like 12pm. Is my best bet to find some place that offers open stick & puck times at non-ridiculous times and go from there?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Been back to the gym for about a month now after doing home stuff with only small weights and bands which was very annoying and a reason the frequency of my workouts significantly diminishing, which included stretching. As a result my back had started getting locked up on a regular (like by-weekly) basis - and needing anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxing meds. No good.

It feels better now but the first thing that I did when I got back in the gym was get on a rower and barely 10 second in - another back spasm.

Taking it slow with amount of weight I work with. I feel I'm at around 75% of where I was before Covid. I try to stretch a lot before and after the workout. Not comfortable to ask anyone to spot me.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Started getting into climbing recently, despite being petrified of heights. Great overall workout and the rush I get from actually getting to the top of a wall+the problem solving along the way is something else. The amount of indirect contact with countless people is worrying though. Fortunately no scares yet.

Does anyone have any advice as far as how to get in to hockey right now? I'm talking basement level basics of skating/puck handling/etc. Of all the rinks near me, they either don't do beginner lessons/sessions for adults, or they do but they were only offered at like 12pm. Is my best bet to find some place that offers open stick & puck times at non-ridiculous times and go from there?

Yes, go to stick and puck a couple of times, then if you have a more experienced friend go with them to stick and puck and let them help you. After a few sessions you’ll have to bite the bullet and jump into a drop-in game even if you feel over your head. It’s the only way you’ll progress. But you will and it’s fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad