OT: Summer Fitness Thread

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Taking it slow with amount of weight I work with. I feel I'm at around 75% of where I was before Covid. I try to stretch a lot before and after the workout. Not comfortable to ask anyone to spot me.
Strength takes (and is taking) a while to get back. I recommend the Starting Strength method and progressively overload each week. The increase need not be a lot, in fact it should not. Somewhere between 2.5-5 pounds per week. It will take time, but it will come back.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strength takes (and is taking) a while to get back. I recommend the Starting Strength method and progressively overload each week. The increase need not be a lot, in fact it should not. Somewhere between 2.5-5 pounds per week. It will take time, but it will come back.
Exactly, both strength and muscle tone, though a good thing - muscle tone is coming back faster, lol.

I actually closer to 80%-85% now but when I re-started last month I capped the weight at around 70%.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have a question for the group. I bought a fancy scale that shows more than just weight. Just wanted to understand the relationship / differences in Body Fat Percentage (BFP), Visceral Fat Index (VFI) and Subcutaneous Fat Percentage (SFP). My BFP and VFI is standard while SFP is high (though not too high - very close to standard).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That is just smart. Coming back for first time, I knew that my numbers were not even close to the same. Just takes time to build again. That and patience.

Have had too many injuries over time so I learned my lesson that it's worth to err on the side of caution when it comes to weight and other physical fitness targets. Rather add an extra set or attempt instead of heavier load.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I have a question for the group. I bought a fancy scale that shows more than just weight. Just wanted to understand the relationship / differences in Body Fat Percentage (BFP), Visceral Fat Index (VFI) and Subcutaneous Fat Percentage (SFP). My BFP and VFI is standard while SFP is high (though not too high - very close to standard).
Visceral is around the organs and very unhealthy. Subcutaneous is below the skin. Think the jiggly part that you can pinch. BFP is overall fat percentage. You want Visceral to be low and then whatever your goal is will determine a good range for BFP and SFP.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Visceral is around the organs and very unhealthy. Subcutaneous is below the skin. Think the jiggly part that you can pinch. BFP is overall fat percentage. You want Visceral to be low and then whatever your goal is will determine a good range for BFP and SFP.

Makes sense. Thank you!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So for the third time in my life, had a workout that I actually booted after. First time I was hungover and off a plane ride the night before so not sure if it counts. But yeah, this morning after my strength portion, I was doing my conditioning piece. About 5 minutes after it being over, off I went.

So now I am curious (and there is nothing really else going on hockey wise right now), what workout (if any) have you done that have made you feel that way?

A few years ago I found some diet/workout regimen online that i decided to try, I forgot the name but this guy wrote a whole book. It involves eating barely anything, like 1200 calories and no carbs during the week, and lifting low weight, high reps during that time. Insane gorging(like 6000 calories) and heavy lifting on the weekends.

Anyway during the first monday workout I was on my 500th set (or what felt like it) of light weight and I suddenly started to feel light headed, incredibly weak and incredibly nauseous. Ran to the the gym locker room and spewed hardcore in the bathroom, and almost passed out. Horrible experience.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
A few years ago I found some diet/workout regimen online that i decided to try, I forgot the name but this guy wrote a whole book. It involves eating barely anything, like 1200 calories and no carbs during the week, and lifting low weight, high reps during that time. Insane gorging(like 6000 calories) and heavy lifting on the weekends.

Anyway during the first monday workout I was on my 500th set (or what felt like it) of light weight and I suddenly started to feel light headed, incredibly weak and incredibly nauseous. Ran to the the gym locker room and spewed hardcore in the bathroom, and almost passed out. Horrible experience.
Sounds about right deplete your glycogen stores Just in time for a heavy workout on the weekend :sarcasm:. I’m always interested in hearing new ideas especially when it comes to the science of diet and training but way too many ways to invent the wheel nowadays. Glad you bailed out sooner rather than later.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I HATE dieting. I eat literally whatever I want, well over 3000 per day but I play hockey in 4 different leagues and sometimes play 3 games in a single day. I’d much rather train like a dog and eat whatever I want than eat like a squirrel and live a sedentary life. I don’t get how so many people find dieting easier than exercise

Reactions: The Sweetness

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I bought some awesome hockey tiles to make a nice setup (with crease, face off dot, hash marks & everything made out of different coloured tiles). Have rebounders for practising one timers, stick handling obstacles, etc. Have an injured knee rn so I can’t even set up the tiles yet :( I’ll post pics once I get it up & running

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sounds about right deplete your glycogen stores Just in time for a heavy workout on the weekend :sarcasm:. I’m always interested in hearing new ideas especially when it comes to the science of diet and training but way too many ways to invent the wheel nowadays. Glad you bailed out sooner rather than later.

Yeah, after the first workout though it got better. The reason I bailed on the program was because I couldn't force myself nor could I afford to eat enough during the weekends.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I HATE dieting. I eat literally whatever I want, well over 3000 per day but I play hockey in 4 different leagues and sometimes play 3 games in a single day. I’d much rather train like a dog and eat whatever I want than eat like a squirrel and live a sedentary life. I don’t get how so many people find dieting easier than exercise

Living that way will only last so long though. Eventually you'll get older and your metabolism will slow, those extra calories will go to storage instead of being burned. Then you'll have more responsiblities in life that prevent you from playing rec hockey every day. Enjoy it while you can I guess.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
It’s not about dieting. It’s about improving your body to reach your best potential. You shouldn’t be eating a certain way to just reach a goal. When people do that they go back to their old bad habits of eating after they reach their goal only to have to restart. Your mind set should be this is the way you’re going to eat for the rest of your life.

And the early you start the easier it’ll be to stick to it.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Look into German Body Comp training.

Reactions: bl02

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Living that way will only last so long though. Eventually you'll get older and your metabolism will slow, those extra calories will go to storage instead of being burned. Then you'll have more responsiblities in life that prevent you from playing rec hockey every day. Enjoy it while you can I guess.

Preach!

Reactions: Leetch3

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
When your metabolism slows in your 30s just convince your doc to prescribe you TRT and keep eating like a dump truck. :laugh:

Never booted after a workout but I did do a 7 day water fast about 2 years ago. First 2.5 days were miserable and then at some point on the third day cravings passed and energy was up and I felt really clean and energized so I decided to pull some deadlifts. Sets were moving well so I decided, why not see how my max moves? At the time it was around 545. Pulled it, felt good, finished the rep, took my belt off and passed out. Had no clue what happened.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You are correct, but the training can elevate as well. Just a matter of what one is willing to do

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You are correct, but the training can elevate as well. Just a matter of what one is willing to do

Not really if one trained well prior to metabolic slowdown. I mean look at @EdJovanovski example of playing 3 games a day. How many more games he could possibly play even if you disregard increase in family and other responsibilities that come with age? Plus at some point one realizes that goals become more about just being able to maintain the status quo rather than reaching new limits.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

in theory yes but if you are working and/or have a family good luck finding the time for the increased exercise to offset it...they say you can't outwork a bad diet and thats mainly cause you can eat a sleeve of oreos in a sitting but to burn off those calories you are talking hours and hours at the gym...when you can undo an hour workout in 30 seconds with a handful of cookies there is no way you can ever make the time work lol

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not really if one trained well prior to metabolic slowdown. I mean look at @EdJovanovski example of playing 3 games a day. How many more games he could possibly play even if you disregard increase in family and other responsibilities that come with age? Plus at some point one realizes that goals become more about just being able to maintain the status quo rather than reaching new limits.
I believe that the whole point of a constantly varied training method is to constantly shock your body.

You can find the time and still take care of all of your responsibilities. I am going to be 50 in January. In order to get done what I need to do, I am up at 5 am and am training by 6. And am finding that there are always new goals that can be met. I know that it is not for everyone, but just my belief.

Reactions: LokiDog

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
in theory yes but if you are working and/or have a family good luck finding the time for the increased exercise to offset it...they say you can't outwork a bad diet and thats mainly cause you can eat a sleeve of oreos in a sitting but to burn off those calories you are talking hours and hours at the gym...when you can undo an hour workout in 30 seconds with a handful of cookies there is no way you can ever make the time work lol
I will cede that when I talk about diet, I am not talking about doughnuts and cookies and soda. When I talk about eating, it is about something better than that.

And again, one can always find the time. Just depends on what one is willing to do.

One of the more memorable moments was finding out that you have to eat a good amount of food. And by food, I mean carbs as well. They are necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->