OT: Summer Fitness Thread

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Straps for us are considered a "no rep". The no bellt stuff is impressive. One I cross 300 pounds, the belt is a must. Also dead lift with no shoes.

I sometimes deadlift without shoes but as long as I’m wearing flat soles, like chucks or a crossfit sneaker I’m okay with keeping them on. Straps are a no lift in comp, obviously, but sometimes I’ll use straps for say 6x495 because while I know I have the grip strength for 600, I don’t have six reps at 500, so I can’t get the progressive overload to continue improving. Same for my dumbbell rows. My grip can handle about 100lbs for reps but my lats can handle 125, so in order to get the heaviest sets in I’ll use straps. They’re used very sparingly throughout my work though.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I sometimes deadlift without shoes but as long as I’m wearing flat soles, like chucks or a crossfit sneaker I’m okay with keeping them on. Straps are a no lift in comp, obviously, but sometimes I’ll use straps for say 6x495 because while I know I have the grip strength for 600, I don’t have six reps at 500, so I can’t get the progressive overload to continue improving. Same for my dumbbell rows. My grip can handle about 100lbs for reps but my lats can handle 125, so in order to get the heaviest sets in I’ll use straps. They’re used very sparingly throughout my work though.
I get it. Sort of like me using the thin straps for snatches. Can't use them in comp or wods, but they tend to make a difference in heavier weight.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Depends on how much room you have ( building out of a garage or a spare room?) and how much you are willing to spend.

Look at HulkFit on Amazon. Capbell is pretty easy to assemble and cheap (just depends how much weight you want to do). BalanceFrom is good bang for the buck.

If I did not live in an apt in NYC, I probably would have ordered one already.

Price isn't too big of a blocker as long as it's reasonable and that it's a good investment. Have a finished basement where it'll be going, but the ceiling is only 7 1/2 feet so that's a limiting factor. Was looking at Titan as an option but everyone seems to shit on them. I'll check out the ones you listed.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Price isn't too big of a blocker as long as it's reasonable and that it's a good investment. Have a finished basement where it'll be going, but the ceiling is only 7 1/2 feet so that's a limiting factor. Was looking at Titan as an option but everyone seems to shit on them. I'll check out the ones you listed.
One of the things that you would want is for the bars on it to be adjustable and have the ability to move the j-cups around. This way it can be adjusted for various lifts.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
So in England, the gyms opened up on July 25. My last lift was March 19. This is the longest time off I've ever had since I was 16 and I'm 51 now. I gained 7.5kg or about 17 pounds. BUT, there has been a silver lining: my long time nagging injuries are MUCH better.

Both my shoulder and groin were always weak areas due to previous injuries and would affect heavy lifts. Now with 4 months and change completely off, along with more sleep than usual and most definitely a caloric surplus, I've had the most pain free chest and legs days in decades.

Hope all of your gyms open up soon wherever you are.

Reactions: McSauer

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Does anyone know where I could order 20lb dumbbells for a reasonable price? I donated my old ones when I moved and have been using the quarantine and WFH situation to get in shape again - don’t have a sturdy enough door frame for a pull up bar and my chest is getting out of balance with my back. Really need dumbbells to do rows but I can’t find them anywhere, presumably I’m not the only one trying to work out more from home with everything going on.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Does anyone know where I could order 20lb dumbbells for a reasonable price? I donated my old ones when I moved and have been using the quarantine and WFH situation to get in shape again - don’t have a sturdy enough door frame for a pull up bar and my chest is getting out of balance with my back. Really need dumbbells to do rows but I can’t find them anywhere, presumably I’m not the only one trying to work out more from home with everything going on.
They may be available on Rogue. If not, you can go on their Notify list. That's how I got my kettle bells

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
They may be available on Rogue. If not, you can go on their Notify list. That's how I got my kettle bells
Thanks! They’re out of stock but I signed up to be notified. Really wish I held onto my old ones. Hopefully they’re being put to good use by someone else at least.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Back at gym. Aside from metcons that I would do by myself, firt one in a semi group in quite a while.

Squated with something besides 30 pound dumbbells & weighted vest for first time in 6.5 months. Light back squats yesterday and front squats today. My thighs are hating me right now. Walking is an issue.

Same with strict press. Did with barbell for first time in 6.5 months. Everything hates me.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasusBelli

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Back at gym. Aside from metcons that I would do by myself, firt one in a semi group in quite a while.

Squated with something besides 30 pound dumbbells & weighted vest for first time in 6.5 months. Light back squats yesterday and front squats today. My thighs are hating me right now. Walking is an issue.

Same with strict press. Did with barbell for first time in 6.5 months. Everything hates me.

I’ve been back in the gym for about 10 days, utilizing the free gym at my new office for now. No squat rack so I haven’t hit legs much and won’t until I find a good power gym in the area, but I’ve been amazed at how tight and sore I’m getting in between my shoulder blades and lower traps with “heavy” back and shoulder work. My body is gonna need some time to adjust.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’ve been back in the gym for about 10 days, utilizing the free gym at my new office for now. No squat rack so I haven’t hit legs much and won’t until I find a good power gym in the area, but I’ve been amazed at how tight and sore I’m getting in between my shoulder blades and lower traps with “heavy” back and shoulder work. My body is gonna need some time to adjust.
Spent a lot of time working out at my small gym inside office. But not really the same as getting on rack and having barbell in hand. I should not be surprised as it has been over 6 months, but the amount of soreness I wasn't expecting.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Spent a lot of time working out at my small gym inside office. But not really the same as getting on rack and having barbell in hand. I should not be surprised as it has been over 6 months, but the amount of soreness I wasn't expecting.

Our office gym is pretty legit. No barbells, but dumbbells up to 95 and plenty of benches, cables and machines. For the time being, since I just relocated and need some time to get back in shape before I start working back into PL, it’s more than enough. Kicking my butt though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
anyone in ny/nj been back to the gym since they re-opened this month? Thoughts on working out with a mask on? I imagine its pretty rough at first but hopefully something you get used to...also any issues with going at the 'busy times' (morning/evening) with capacity at 25% ?

my gym closed my location so I canceled my membership...positive is that I don't have to worry about paying until I'm ready to go back. been itching to get back there though but at the same time also don't feel the need to start the clock on monthly payments if going right now if bad and its better to wait

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
anyone in ny/nj been back to the gym since they re-opened this month? Thoughts on working out with a mask on? I imagine its pretty rough at first but hopefully something you get used to...also any issues with going at the 'busy times' (morning/evening) with capacity at 25% ?

my gym closed my location so I canceled my membership...positive is that I don't have to worry about paying until I'm ready to go back. been itching to get back there though but at the same time also don't feel the need to start the clock on monthly payments if going right now if bad and its better to wait

Working out with mask is not as bad as I thought it would be.
Obviously drop sets and supersetting is a bit more challenging. Haven’t really done heavy cardio yet.
My gym is definitely less busy. Haven’t had an issue with it being over capacity.
Gym is in northern jersey Bergen county

Reactions: Leetch3

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Box is on 32nd street Been back since first day they opened, part of the first class that was offered.

Can't lie. Working out like we do with the mask (CrossFit) blows. It is drenched fairly quickly and between sets or intervals, we wind up pulling it down so that we can breathe. But whatever. If the cost of me being able to use a squat rack is the mask, so be it. But yeah, things like rowing in intervals or burpees suck with it. Filling your lungs with each rep can also be an issue, but you can make it work.

Capacity has not been an issue. Am thinking that a lot of people will return when the weather gets colder and working out outside becomes less appealing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Box is on 32nd street Been back since first day they opened, part of the first class that was offered.

Can't lie. Working out like we do with the mask (CrossFit) blows. It is drenched fairly quickly and between sets or intervals, we wind up pulling it down so that we can breathe. But whatever. If the cost of me being able to use a squat rack is the mask, so be it. But yeah, things like rowing in intervals or burpees suck with it. Filling your lungs with each rep can also be an issue, but you can make it work.

Capacity has not been an issue. Am thinking that a lot of people will return when the weather gets colder and working out outside becomes less appealing.

It’s probably (almost) impossible in the CrossFit routine but do you pay attention to how / whether you breathe through the nose?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s probably (almost) impossible in the CrossFit routine but do you pay attention to how / whether you breathe through the nose?
Yes, or try to. Proper breathing helps, full stop. The issue is that when you start to include things like rowing, ski ergs, assault bike into the training, that is where the mask really hurts breathing.

I'll give another example. Today's complex was dead lifts, power cleans and over the bar burpees (12-9-12). You really fee the mask on the burpees. But you do what you need to. Pull it down and breathe if you complete the interval with enough time on the clock.

After, I stayed and am starting to work to rebuild strength and there wearing the mask is not as much of an issue. Part of the issue is that it basically just becomes a soaking, wet rag on your face.

Reactions: kovazub94

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
No masks in gyms here in Texas. I just need to break my quarantine habits and get back to 5 days a week.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
No idea. I saw a CrossFit gym in Westfield and no masks. My daughter gets training at another one and athletes and coaches need not wear one.

assuming that they aren't just not following the rules :) I wonder if they have the same 'loophole' that many yoga studios and such had Those places were able to open before gyms cause they were license as a recreational facitlity and not a healthy club so they aren't considered a 'gym'.

not sure how comfortable I'd feel going with other people not wearing masks...but also nice to see signs of somethings returning to normalcy

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
assuming that they aren't just not following the rules :) I wonder if they have the same 'loophole' that many yoga studios and such had Those places were able to open before gyms cause they were license as a recreational facitlity and not a healthy club so they aren't considered a 'gym'.

not sure how comfortable I'd feel going with other people not wearing masks...but also nice to see signs of somethings returning to normalcy
I do not think that they are breaking rules. Too easy to get caught. Maybe what they are being classified as is "private studio" and not a "gym"?

Comfort levels of being around those that are not wearing masks (at gyms, for the purpose of this discussion) is entirely personal. Like I said, we wear them but cannot lie that people are not pulling them down between intervals or sets to take some deep breaths. And at times, after workouts some had theirs off for just bsing purposes. No one seemed to mind. But again, it is a personal thing. But yes, very nice to see and feel somethings returning to normal. Or a level of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->