Summer '15 Thread (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Nobody is saying they weren't good. But I don't think they're a for sure playoff team some here think we are. Especially with how much we were outshot and outchanced

This club just needs a top 4 defenseman for me to be comfortable this is a team that can win a playoff series.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this. We are a good team but we need to be better. A strengthening of the D is imperative for us to go deeper into the playoffs should we get there in the first place. As impressive as our 2 runs were last year we're not a slam dunk to repeat those and not even a slam dunk to make the playoffs. Lots of good teams in the East. I think we probably will make the playoffs; how far we go is another matter.

What drives me crazy are those who find any criticism of this team or any suggestion for improvement to be heresy. Give me a break. All teams can get better and it doesn't all come from organic growth. LA, Chi, Rangers, Pittsburgh, all make trades to get better. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but they keep trying to improve thorough trades and free agents. To sit and wait for our prospects to grow into starting roles is not the smartest way to become a championship team. This team with a few tweaks could be really good.
i hope Jarmo makes some moves to make it happen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I really liked the way Golo looked last year, so I'm not so sure he isn't our second pair solution. Problem is, with Golo or Zidlicky or some other ufa, our d is still wayyy behind teams like the Rangers or the Lightning. You do need actual top pair d to compete at the highest level.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
There were several different sources tweeting that Shattenkirk was believed to be available over the weekend. Not sure of validity, but it makes some sense because the Blues might be looking for a shake up. Oshie is another that was rumored available. How about a package deal involving Shattenkirk and Oshie? That ought to tweak a few of you.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I really liked the way Golo looked last year, so I'm not so sure he isn't our second pair solution. Problem is, with Golo or Zidlicky or some other ufa, our d is still wayyy behind teams like the Rangers or the Lightning. You do need actual top pair d to compete at the highest level.

A healthy Ryan Murray can get to that level

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Did I miss something? Why would anyone think Shattenkirk would be available?

Some blogger posted that he thought Shattenkirk might be available because of $ the Blues are paying Other D men. I'll see if I can find the link. I think someone posted it a day or two ago.

I think it was this https://twitter.com/NHLbyMatty/status/614584637524975616

Fairly innocuous tweet got a lot of peeps excited. Touched off a debate here if we should trade Wennberg for Shattnekirk. As you can probably guess there was a difference of opinion. :laugh:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2m2 minutes ago
RT @smitchcd: Coyotes decline to make qualifying offer to 2009 #CBJ first-round pick John Moore. Will be UFA on Wednesday.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 34s35 seconds ago
LRT: Not sure what UFA market will be like for Moore, but wouldn't be surprised to see #CBJ interest. Hated to part w him in Gaborik trade.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
RT @smitchcd: Coyotes decline to make qualifying offer to 2009 #CBJ first-round pick John Moore. Will be UFA on Wednesday.

LRT: Not sure what UFA market will be like for Moore, but wouldn't be surprised to see #CBJ interest. Hated to part w him in Gaborik trade.

Pretty interesting. I'd take Moore back. He showed an edge with the Rangers that he never did here. The only problem is he'd add to a logjam of 4/5/6 d-men.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Could be interesting and probably a cheap option for a reclamation project on a 2 way deal. He is only 24 and his skill is certainly there but I admittedly didn't follow close enough to see why it never worked out for him with NYR or the Coyotes.

Maybe he could be given a chance to find his game again with the Monsters and earn his way back to the NHL.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Pretty interesting. I'd take Moore back. He showed an edge with the Rangers that he never did here. The only problem is he'd add to a logjam of 4/5/6 d-men.

Is he really any better than any of the guys we have already? I didn't see him with ARI, but his stats weren't good. I always liked him, but he doesn't seem to have developed.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Question is if CBJ hadn't drafted Moore and we knew him apart from his history and development, if this was a just any former first round draft pick who was struggling, would we (fans on a message board) want him?

In all honestly, I don't know the answer to that question, but I think we have to take it into account is all.

Anyway, maybe on a two-way, where he joins Justin Falk as the 8-9 and doesn't preclude the addition of a player who fills the perceived hole in the top 4.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wouldn't take him unless its a two way deal. Other than skating, he doesn't bring much to the table on either side of the ice. Pass

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
RE: Shattenkirk, THN had a rumor thread which was born from Spectors that said he would be the odd guy out and the blues could get a good return for him...

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Jarmo can't get a top 4 and decides option B is building the depth(guys that are 5/6/7) I would take a look Yanick Weber and Ryan Stanton.

Weber
65 games played 11 goals 10 assists 21 points +4
Although he had a poor playoffs(A lot Canucks did), 6 games, 0 points, -5

Stanton
54 games played 3 goals 8 assists 11 points +9

*Canucks still trying to sign Weber. Just avoided arbitration.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Ehhhh, I like Moore, just not sure how I feel about adding him the lineup. Although I'd slot him in over Prout at least.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Question is if CBJ hadn't drafted Moore and we knew him apart from his history and development, if this was a just any former first round draft pick who was struggling, would we (fans on a message board) want him?

In all honestly, I don't know the answer to that question, but I think we have to take it into account is all.

Anyway, maybe on a two-way, where he joins Justin Falk as the 8-9 and doesn't preclude the addition of a player who fills the perceived hole in the top 4.
If we only knew him to the extent that any other fanbase did, then I think we would given our potential interest in Rundblad (as a reclamation / depth / in Cleveland) which was rumored a few weeks ago. Rundblad's off the table now, and I think Moore is comparable if not slightly better.

Tony Quinn

May 20, 2014
To me, there's one guy out there, who is known to be available, that fits the Blue Jackets wants and needs to a tee and that's Byfuglein. His style of play and offensive ability meshes perfectly with what is missing on the current roster.

I don't know what kind of clubhouse guy he is and maybe he's not that great in the room. However, I have not heard or read anything to that effect. In fact, from what I've read, I would think it's the opposite and he's a very good teammate.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This team best all of the top teams including TB, CHI, NYR, ANA and others that were jockeying for playoff position. I don't believe the no pressure thing as a reason. This was a good team. Period.

Point is we've "finished strong" about 6 times, and gave us a lot of hope coming into the next season and more times than not it doesn't work out.

Again if someone can show me a strong correlation to a team finishing strong one season, leads to a great next year/years then I'll buy in.

But at least from CBJ experience I see no correlation between finishing strong and a good season following.

Teams get hold and cold for 8,15,20 games. I understand the injuries - but some of the guys who were hurt last year tend to get injured (Bob, Murray) so you can't assume they will be healthy next year.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To me, there's one guy out there, who is known to be available, that fits the Blue Jackets wants and needs to a tee and that's Byfuglein. His style of play and offensive ability meshes perfectly with what is missing on the current roster.

I don't know what kind of clubhouse guy he is and maybe he's not that great in the room. However, I have not heard or read anything to that effect. In fact, from what I've read, I would think it's the opposite and he's a very good teammate.

All I know about him is he is rumored to have been in on and perhaps led the hazing (one perspective) of Evander Kane. My personal impression of him in the wake of those reports/rumors was not a positive one. (Waits for replies suggesting DSL hates strong leaders, fighting and America.)

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If Jarmo can't get a top 4 and decides option B is building the depth(guys that are 5/6/7) I would take a look Yanick Weber and Ryan Stanton.

Weber
65 games played 11 goals 10 assists 21 points +4
Although he had a poor playoffs(A lot Canucks did), 6 games, 0 points, -5

Stanton
54 games played 3 goals 8 assists 11 points +9

*Canucks still trying to sign Weber. Just avoided arbitration.

Weber could put up similar numbers to Wiz at about $3 million less.

Tony Quinn

May 20, 2014
All I know about him is he is rumored to have been in on and perhaps led the hazing (one perspective) of Evander Kane. My personal impression of him in the wake of those reports/rumors was not a positive one. (Waits for replies suggesting DSL hates strong leaders, fighting and America.)

IIRC, the deal with Kane was that Evander refused to adhere to the dress code, which required the players to wear a suit, and Byfuglien ended up throwing Kane's clothes in the shower. Or something along those lines.

To me, that's a positive for Buff by making guys accountable and follow the team's rules. Of course, there is probably more to the story, or other stories, that I am not aware of.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
IIRC, the deal with Kane was that Evander refused to adhere to the dress code, which required the players to wear a suit, and Byfuglien ended up throwing Kane's clothes in the shower. Or something along those lines.

To me, that's a positive for Buff by making guys accountable and follow the team's rules. Of course, there is probably more to the story, or other stories, that I am not aware of.

I'd have preferred DB handle the situation like a grown-up. Just me.

I'm also attempting to not draw a complete picture of someone from one thing. When this happened, there were some other rumors that Buff had "behaved badly" in other instances.

That said, and whether this means anything at all (likely doesn't), the new CBJ captain drafted Buff in his role as a team captain for the All-Star weekend. I'd expect any addition would be vetted through player leadership for "fit." Buff is awafulyl damned inconsistent but his skill-set is desirable. If he's added, I'll be on board with it.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He would be coming to a team where the leadership core is very much already in place. If he were a distraction, I feel that this team would be one of the ones better equipped to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA