Summer '15 Thread (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
that's my thing...pretty much any available Dman is a 2nd pairing guy...do we go with 2 2nd pairs and a 3rd? is that "contender" material?...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
that's my thing...pretty much any available Dman is a 2nd pairing guy...do we go with 2 2nd pairs and a 3rd? is that "contender" material?...

Depends on a few factors of this incoming defenseman. Are we trading or signing UFA? Is he young? Is he RHD? Is he an upside second-pair guy? I don't believe a home-run #1 D or even top-pair D is a necessity, depending on the answers to these questions.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm more concerned with how long we sign (if we sign someone) them for. I don't want to sign anyone for longer than 3 years.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm more concerned with how long we sign (if we sign someone) them for. I don't want to sign anyone for longer than 3 years.

Then it's highly doubtful we'll sign any UFA's. Probably a good thing, that's why I expressed disappointment with the lack of using our pick assets to acquire help for the big club.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I will be surprised if we sign a D who can make a difference in UFA frenzy. It will cost too much, they are too old, they aren't really what we need.

Trade is our best bet but even there it will be tough. Have to give to get. If JK subscribes to the "hey we can win with 16 young F's and they are all untradeable school of thought" we could always offer up Anisimov + Boll + Bouque to Boston and they send us Krug. :sarcasm:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Jarmo on CBJ in 30 feed

Bob "so you're saying if you start the season with the same team you ended last year, you're ok with it?"

Jarmo "I think we did pretty well, so yeah"

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Jarmo on CBJ in 30 feed

Bob "so you're saying if you start the season with the same team you ended last year, you're ok with it?"

Jarmo "I think we did pretty well, so yeah"

Jarmo also said that he has targets, specifically mentioning defensemen, that they have targeted in Trade and FA.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Then it's highly doubtful we'll sign any UFA's. Probably a good thing, that's why I expressed disappointment with the lack of using our pick assets to acquire help for the big club.

I agree that it is a good thing. Also, we still have all of the same assets to use in trades.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I liked what Jarmo said, but I can think of a few posters who probably didn't if they watched that interview.

He talked about how he wants to build the team through drafting and development. He doesn't think it is best to build through FA. If there is a guy that can help them, at the right price, then great, but he won't force anything (same with trades).

Our forwards are highly thought of by other teams in the league.

He tried to move up to get another pick in the top 10. It was right after they asked him about talking to Doug Wilson and they had the 9th pick.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I'd agree we won't be busy with free agency.

Rumor has it Detroit is going to go hard after Mike Green, and would then look to clear out a dman or two (names I've heard thrown about by fans were Ericsson and Kindl... yikes). All of their dmen are lefties, but that means at least a few of them play the right side with some success. Obviously guys like DeKeyser, Kronwall and the young guys Marchenko, Ouellet, and Sproul probably aren't in play. I need to see more, but maybe a guy like Brendan Smith could be a reasonable addition. Thoughts?

I'm still hoping to add someone like Ryan Ellis or Jared Spurgeon (and, in dream land, T.J. Brodie), although I'm expecting us to acquire someone like Dennis Wideman before training camp.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I liked what Jarmo said, but I can think of a few posters who probably didn't if they watched that interview.

He talked about how he wants to build the team through drafting and development. He doesn't think it is best to build through FA. If there is a guy that can help them, at the right price, then great, but he won't force anything (same with trades).

Our forwards are highly thought of by other teams in the league.

He tried to move up to get another pick in the top 10. It was right after they asked him about talking to Doug Wilson and they had the 9th pick.

That is really great. Hopefully he doesn't think trading one of our highly thought of forwards for an equally highly thought of D man is forcing a trade. I doubt he does think that way.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I need to see more, but maybe a guy like Brendan Smith could be a reasonable addition. Thoughts?

I'm still hoping to add someone like Ryan Ellis or Jared Spurgeon (and, in dream land, T.J. Brodie), although I'm expecting us to acquire someone like Dennis Wideman before training camp.

Smith isn't even top four quality, unless you believe wings fans who say Babcock mismanaged him. Ellis or Spurgeon would be nice. Wideman is the other Wiz. We just paid a lot of money (Bourques contract) to get out of Wizs deal. It wouldn't make sense to pay all that just to reacquire him.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
There is no one, including Joey and Bob, totally excluded from trade possibilities. They are just much less likely to be traded.

Good post. Anyone should be available if the return is the right one. I am not sure what return pries Johansen loose though. Maybe an established young 1D, a 2 C and a 1St?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That is really great. Hopefully he doesn't think trading one of our highly thought of forwards for an equally highly thought of D man is forcing a trade. I doubt he does think that way.

In principle, I would assume not. That said, the devil's in the details when it comes to pricing these things out.

* * *​
Good post. Anyone should be available if the return is the right one. I am not sure what return pries Johansen loose though. Maybe an established young 1D, a 2 C and a 1St?

I'd dogmatically insist on a replacement #1C and be deaf to virtually anything else. I very much like the idea that he's Columbus drafted and developed and kicking ass, and want to keep that going.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It really scares me how much Jarmo and co. are buying that last stretch run when there was no pressure. Doesn't sound like much if any moves will be made for our team this summer, that might be a hard sell on the fans. Hopefully they're right.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'd agree we won't be busy with free agency.

Rumor has it Detroit is going to go hard after Mike Green, and would then look to clear out a dman or two (names I've heard thrown about by fans were Ericsson and Kindl... yikes). All of their dmen are lefties, but that means at least a few of them play the right side with some success. Obviously guys like DeKeyser, Kronwall and the young guys Marchenko, Ouellet, and Sproul probably aren't in play. I need to see more, but maybe a guy like Brendan Smith could be a reasonable addition. Thoughts?

I sort of think in the Jackets position, it may make sense to be patient. Let others sign the high demand free agents and over pay, then either sign shorter term high value free agents later or try to take advantaged of cap strapped teams as it gets down to the wire.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It really scares me how much Jarmo and co. are buying that last stretch run when there was no pressure. Doesn't sound like much if any moves will be made for our team this summer, that might be a hard sell on the fans. Hopefully they're right.

Don't worry, that stretch solidified this team for years. I am fully expecting a 24-4-2 start, although that new 3 on 3 might make it 23-3-4.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Don't worry, that stretch solidified this team for years. I am fully expecting a 24-4-2 start, although that new 3 on 3 might make it 23-3-4.

I know you're being sarcastic but I expect another slow start this year. There's just something with this team and slow starts. Hopefully this year we don't have 50 injuries coupled with it if it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad