Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Thonpson Phillips are both older but can be counted on. The rest of that group is unproved and do not represent top end talent we require. Just my opinion. Agree to disagree
Just pointing out spots will be tight as is on our blue line.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

Byfield ranked 3rd on most lists. Why are you so sure he’s going to LA? I don’t believe Byfield will play in the OHL at the start of next season, but could see him get sent back after 9 games if Byfield struggles like he did at WJC. He’s one of the youngest players in the draft class.

Reactions: Patverbeek

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Byfield ranked 3rd on most lists. Why are you so sure he’s going to LA? I don’t believe Byfield will play in the OHL at the start of next season, but could see him get sent back after 9 games if Byfield struggles like he did at WJC. He’s one of the youngest players in the draft class.

Byfield is second on the majority of lists, not third....

Well, it was worth the risk, I guess? But this is a pretty fast turn around to the draft pick being lit on fire.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Was definitely worth the risk and it could still pan out down the road. I would imagine the focus switches to Jendek to get a commitment from him. I like the Jendek pick and I think he can come in and be a really solid older Import for the Wolves next season if there's even a season. Jendek and Dichow will be solid additions.

Reactions: Patverbeek

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Was definitely worth the risk and it could still pan out down the road. I would imagine the focus switches to Jendek to get a commitment from him. I like the Jendek pick and I think he can come in and be a really solid older Import for the Wolves next season if there's even a season. Jendek and Dichow will be solid additions.

That Tuomaala signed with Kärpät won't automatically mean that he'll play in SM liiga.
Kärpät is championship contender in liiga every season and they have lots of players in RW depth chart.

Tuomaala needs to prove himself every night and earn his own spot if he wants to play in liiga.
So there is still at least theoretic chance of that Tuomaala reports to Sudbury.

Right now Tuomaala has these options for season 2020-2021
1 Play in SM liiga if he makes team and takes his spot.
2 assignment to Kokkolan Hermes ( Kärpät's mestis affiliate team )
3 Play in A juniors ( U20 team )
4 Reporting to Sudbury.

Kalle Loponen reported to Sudbury last season despite of that he had liiga contract with Kärpät.
So maybe Loponen can tell good things of Sudbury Wolves which help Tuomaala to come over.

But unfortunately in this corona-pandemic situation
it's not sure at all will Tuomaala even come over to CHL.

It's not Sudbury Wolves fault if Tuomaala stays to Oulu
this corona shit screwed a lot up in hockey world.

And if you guys wanna blame someone blame corona-virus not your management staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaW and howlman

Grey Wolf

Mar 20, 2019
I think our European picks are very good and given the current circumstances I am more concerned about wether we will have a season to play then who we picked. I appreciate the Finnish perspective on Toumaala. He looks like an addition to next years lineup and a good one

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

Considering what’s going on in the world I don’t think anyone is surprised. I will be surprised if he plays with Karpat though. I see him being sent to an affiliate, play junior in Finland or loaned to another club. Hard not to accept a pro team pay check for a 16 year old.

I also won’t blame Papineau. He took a shot.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Considering what’s going on in the world I don’t think anyone is surprised. I will be surprised if he plays with Karpat though. I see him being sent to an affiliate, play junior in Finland or loaned to another club. Hard not to accept a pro team pay check for a 16 year old.

Let's just see how things play out.

Reactions: nelli27

chlfan20

Jul 6, 2020
Too early in the offseason to conclude anything at this point in my opinion. I hope he comes over, as I believe the top euro talent boosts the level of the league as a whole. This pandemic is throwing a wrench in some things though of course.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Not mentioned on that original tweet
but even Jesse Puljujärvi can still sign with Kärpät.
That will also affect to Tuomaala's situation because Puljujärvi is RW.

But in my opinion Puljujärvi should sign with some NLA team
if Edmonton Oilers is not option and KHL and SHL are questionmarks as a options to Puljujärvi
because corona pandemic situation is much worse in Sweden and Russia what it is in Finland.

Last edited:
Reactions: yalbmert25

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think our European picks are very good and given the current circumstances I am more concerned about wether we will have a season to play then who we picked. I appreciate the Finnish perspective on Toumaala. He looks like an addition to next years lineup and a good one

Key dates and games regarding to Tuomaala's possibly report to Sudbury Wolves.

August 20th 2020 Luleå vs Kärpät ( Kärpät's pre season starts )
September 4th 2020 Kärpät vs Kalpa ( A juniors SM liiga regular season starts )
September 25th 2020 IPK vs Hermes ( Mestis regular season starts )
October 1st 2020 HPK vs Kärpät ( SM liiga regular season starts )
October 6th Aalborg vs Kärpät ( Champions hockey league starts )

If / when Tuomaala is not a roster any of these games
then it's possible he really reports to Sudbury Wolves.

I know that waiting is annoying but right now no-one cannot do more.
So lets the time show how things turn around.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Too early in the offseason to conclude anything at this point in my opinion. I hope he comes over, as I believe the top euro talent boosts the level of the league as a whole. This pandemic is throwing a wrench in some things though of course.

Kärpät has a lot options to RW spot so it's not guarantee Tuomaala is immediately SM liiga regular.
Kalle Loponen signed last year with Sudbury Wolves despite of his SM liiga contract.
So i'm not seeing any obstacles why same can't happen to Tuomaala.

I'm not Kärpät fan or Kärpät insider
so i can't say 150% exactly what plans Kärpät has made for Tuomaala.
Only what i know is that Tuomaala has options to next season and only time tells where he plays.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Kärpät has a lot options to RW spot so it's not guarantee Tuomaala is immediately SM liiga regular.
Kalle Loponen signed last year with Sudbury Wolves despite of his SM liiga contract.
So i'm not seeing any obstacles why same can't happen to Tuomaala.

I'm not Kärpät fan or Kärpät insider
so i can't say 150% exactly what plans Kärpät has made for Tuomaala.
Only what i know is that Tuomaala has options to next season and only time tells where he plays.

thanks for the info, you seem to know a lot of Tuomaala and Finland hockey. Be exciting if he comes especially if Byfield sticks around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: yalbmert25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad