Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Will be VERY interesting how Certain teams will go about recruiting the number of high end American players in this up coming draft, and most importantly, at what rounds they go in.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Didn’t have the net minding this season so I doubt we’d have won anything significant but we had some nice players to watch. Wow little did I know the Sunday game I blew off work to attend would be the last game I would see all season. Oh well 8-0 shutout at least. Wait until next year.....

Reactions: WolvesFan

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Don't blame him

So we've likely seen the last of Byfield in Sudbury correct?
Depends who you ask.

OHL Coaches poll results are out. 2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Awesome to see Carson get some representation. Hilarious not to see Byfield in best playmaker or best skater atleast.

Rossi winning best shootout shooter while going 1-4, Roberston going 1-1, Tomasino 2-6... I guess lots of coaches did not watch much hockey this year.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Who do you think your OAs will be next year? I'm doing an article about who each team is losing and what their depth chart looks like going into next year but Sudbury is the only team I can't really figure out who the OAs will be.

Other than Serensits it could go a ton of different ways. What do yo guys think?

3 of Christian Purboo/Emmett Serensits/Nolan Hutcheson/Owen Gilhula/Owen Robinson/Adam Samuelsson

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Who do you think your OAs will be next year? I'm doing an article about who each team is losing and what their depth chart looks like going into next year but Sudbury is the only team I can't really figure out who the OAs will be.

Other than Serensits it could go a ton of different ways. What do yo guys think?

3 of Christian Purboo/Emmett Serensits/Nolan Hutcheson/Owen Gilhula/Owen Robinson/Adam Samuelsson

Honestly I can't give you a single name that is a guarantee one way or another.

I would assume, 1 of Serensits and Samuelsson, 2 of Hutcheson, Robinson, Gilhula. But there's an outside chance of Purboo or even David Bowen the way things have gone.

If I was picking I'd be going with Serensits, Robinson and Hutcheson. But I know there's a lot of love on this board for Samuelsson, and a lot of dislike for Robinson.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

No Purboo or Gilhula. Probably trade Serensits since he has most trade value which leaves Samuelsson, Robinson and Hutcheson but if Dichow isn’t coming then an OA goalie trade could happen.

Reactions: HockeyHell

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

I have Hutcheson, Serentis, and a choice of Robinson/Samuelsson/Purboo, with it ultimately being Robinson

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Just to continue on my previous post, this is the lineup depth chart I have for next year, seems like a good time for it:

This includes all players drafted 2017 (and u18) or later, or that are currently signed by the wolves, meaning guys from Byfield, to Pekar, to Savard, to Jacklin, to Savage are all on this list, regardless of how unlikely it is they play here (Pekar, Byfield, Savage, etc) due to different league reasons, or skill/roster based reasons for us (Savard, Jacklin etc). This should also prove useful on draft day. If you disagree with anything please tell me, as well as if I've missed a name or have one that shouldn't. This is strictly my (probably poor) opinions based mostly around training camps.

Pekar-Byfield-Stillman
Savage-Murray-Larmand
Hutcheson-Manikis-Gilhula
Robinson-McCallum-Gillespie
Labelle-Smith-Jacklin
Biondi-Burke-Hollingsworth
DeGrazia-Butler-Bedard
McAllister-Tiveron-Watson
Strickland-Kosurko-Bowie
Dal Ben-Vachon-Siau
Lewis-Mazur-McDougall
N/A-N/A-Soehner
N/A-N/A-Savard

Phillips-Thompson
Ross-Loponen
Samuelsson-Serensits
Aucoin-P. Robinson
Ribau-Beattie
Anania-Caron
Mitchell-Pineau
Stewart-Simpson
Zekelman-Mergelas
N/A-Pulford-Thorpe

Dichow
Purboo
Weeks
Bowen
Lemaire
J. Ross
Heinzle
Vendette
Carvalho

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
My guess would be Hutchison, Serentsis, Samuelson/Robinson. Based on the trade deadline the GM clearly doesn't use statistics or how players are trending in his decision making so who really knows. The fact he is left with this lack of quality OA after a season he was supposedly going for it is shocking. He had two years to navigate and move some of these guys to upgrade but he sat on his hands/ over valued players and now where are we, If a couple of these OA's were smart they would start looking at school now rather later. JMO.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Missing from post is most assists- Q

Best dman - J.T.

Playoff mvp- sponsors and ticket holders.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012

I say Samuelsson, Gilhula, and Hutcheson. I'm not a Gilhula fan but he will be on team is my prediction.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I say Samuelsson, Gilhula, and Hutcheson. I'm not a Gilhula fan but he will be on team is my prediction.

I think you're close but I'd replace Gilhula with Serensits so Robinson, Gilhula and Purboo will be looking for new homes. Just a wild guess....

I'd then prefer if we started shopping for some really good OAs at the beginning of the season.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I think you're close but I'd replace Gilhula with Serensits so Robinson, Gilhula and Purboo will be looking for new homes. Just a wild guess....

I'd then prefer if we started shopping for some really good OAs at the beginning of the season.
Serentsis Adam S are my picks. Go shop for a scoring 3rd.

The rest should put that school package to use. Can't see them getting a spot in the O.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Given it's likely a rebuild year next year, would be silly to go out and spend assets for OAs.

Reactions: WaW

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Agree, if it is a rebuild, no point to trading up. With Gilhula, I am not sure I see the point of keeping an injury prone player. I think he can score but he has not played one full season and this would his 5th year. Why pay another year of schooling for that type of player?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Agree, if it is a rebuild, no point to trading up. With Gilhula, I am not sure I see the point of keeping an injury prone player. I think he can score but he has not played one full season and this would his 5th year. Why pay another year of schooling for that type of player?
I don't even agree that he can score, this was the first time he cracked 6 goals, he's not a good playmaker, he's pretty bad defensively. He constantly gets thrown out onto the powerplay for some unknown reason. His effort level is significantly lower then guys like Hutcheson and Robinson as well.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Per the database these are our picks this year.
2020 1stER 2nd---4thER 5th6th
KGN 6th
7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'd love to see us come out with 2 of Ludwinski/Delic/Guindon/Christy/Mauro/Jovanovic/Borgesi (if he'd commit take him 100%)/Poitras

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Just reading the article in the Sudbury star. Papineau basically stating that the "trades he made at the deadline had set the team up for a deep run in the playoffs" .... but the "virus stopped everything" That is the biggest bunch of crap and do I ever miss when journalists would write articles that would challenge crap like this. Go back and read reviews of the trades made at the deadline by outside sports writers and that was not consensus. Quoting stats of players who at best shone when we played Niagara, NB, Kingston...the weakest teams in the league is a joke. There were trades that needed to happen and he was not able to get the job done. Don't make bold statements that you would have gone deep into the playoffs, when no one was looking at what was on the ice and thought the same. I too would focus on the draft but don't think those that really follow this team (and not just from a super fan perspective) would rate your performance as a GM too highly. JMO. Bring on draft day..

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Looking ahead to the draft and past history, I would assume our first rounder for sure, and our second will step onto the team next season. With the depth of this draft all over the place after the top two, I would not put an emphasis on trying to obtain a third round pic. Our second rounder will have to be better at his position than anything we have now or who we drafted in the last draft. Goaltending must be addressed now and I don’t think this draft will address the problem in a proper time frame. Paps is facing a draft which will be very challenging. Taking into account Oshawa will get the Memorial Cup next year and will be looking for pieces, we may be forced to deal early if that is in fact the case. Hopefully he and his team get it right.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
going into the draft, what Sudbury Wolves player ever, has played the most NHL games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad