Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I read the translated article, and wouldn't classify it as "confirmed" but rather "likely".
Maybe it would come true if you played [in Sudbury] from next season. Will it be so?

It's one of the options, we just don't know how it will all turn out. But I'll probably go there.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
OHL Prospects: 2020 CHL Import Draft Review

91. Sudbury Wolves - Dominik Jendek - Forward
A 6'1 forward, and 2001 born, Jendek already played against men this year in the Slovakian men's league with Bratislava. With Fredrik Dichow already signed on for next season, Jendek is insurance should first round selection Samu Tuomaala not report. The Wolves are also not writing off a return for Matej Pekar as an OA, if there is uncertainty surrounding his spot at the pro level.

Scouting Report:
He is a really good skater and offensive player with good size and solid skillset. He is a natural goalscorer who has pretty good shot. His main skill is that he is able to find open spaces very nicely and is efficient offensively, which is really good skill to have in OHL. His defense needs some work. He is not that good defensively and I don't think he would ever be that prototypical two-way guy, but he can get better. Two-way play is just not his style of play as his game is based mostly on his offensive output. If he comes over, he would need some time to adjust his game, but he should be fine after a month or two. It's hard to predict Dominik's point production, but if he transitions well, he should finish at around 25 goals and 40 points since he is more developed older player. - Samuel Tirpak​

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
thanks for the info, you seem to know a lot of Tuomaala and Finland hockey. Be exciting if he comes especially if Byfield sticks around.

I'm looking all the time updates to all Finns who were drafted to CHL this year.

And what comes to Tuomaala all those my opinions about him
are only speculation until something official is announced by Oulun Kärpät or Sudbury Wolves.

Reactions: Patverbeek

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I like Murray. No question he can score goals. He needs to improve his play everywhere else on the ice. He has slowly been doing that each year. This season will be especially important for him. I think we will seem him rise to the challenge.
I agree, I think he’s going to be among the OHLs elite this year. IMO Murray needs a high motor winger and a decent playmaker on his like you have the most success. The high motor guy because he always pushes more when those around him are working hard, and the playmaker to feed his shot.

Reactions: HockeyHell

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I agree, I think he’s going to be among the OHLs elite this year. IMO Murray needs a high motor winger and a decent playmaker on his like you have the most success. The high motor guy because he always pushes more when those around him are working hard, and the playmaker to feed his shot.

I tend to be on the fence with this comment because, as you mentioned, he needs to be motivated by the players around him. It's time for him to become the motivator and he hasn't shown that since his arrival in Sudbury. Raw ability - YES, Potential - YES, Motivation - ?

I really hope he can step up this year.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I tend to be on the fence with this comment because, as you mentioned, he needs to be motivated by the players around him. It's time for him to become the motivator and he hasn't shown that since his arrival in Sudbury. Raw ability - YES, Potential - YES, Motivation - ?
I disagree with the later part, I think at times this season, and during his rookie season he was motivated for sure. I think I’m his DY he lost some of that jump for some reason but he was definitely better this year, and I totally think he has a huge year next year. Auston Matthews plays better with an energy forward on his line, I see it much the same way. Murray does have a very lazy looking style though but in reality that’s a combination of high IQ allowing for great positioning and an awkward lanky stride.

Reactions: HockeyHell

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

I really hope he can step up this year.
It's in his best interest. I'm sure an NHL contract is in his mind.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I disagree with the later part, I think at times this season, and during his rookie season he was motivated for sure. I think I’m his DY he lost some of that jump for some reason but he was definitely better this year, and I totally think he has a huge year next year. Auston Matthews plays better with an energy forward on his line, I see it much the same way. Murray does have a very lazy looking style though but in reality that’s a combination of high IQ allowing for great positioning and an awkward lanky stride.

We agree on the need for an energy guy to play with but we really aren't comparing him to Matthews. When Austin scores the way he does it's easy to provide that energy linemate to facilitate his needs. Blake needs to step it up for his own good, regardless of linemates.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
We agree on the need for an energy guy to play with but we really aren't comparing him to Matthews. When Austin scores the way he does it's easy to provide that energy linemate to facilitate his needs. Blake needs to step it up for his own good, regardless of linemates.
Not comparing him to Auston as an NHL talent, but there’s a lot of stylistic similarities. I think giving him Stillman/Hutcheson would be an effective line

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This is cool. He struggled in the OHL and I never thought he'd make it in the NHL. Better to put everything together late than never.

Good to see Kubalik and Kahun both having success at that level.

I always thought Kubalik had more to give he had all the tools when he played for the Wolves, his path to the NHL is amazing, same with Kahun.

Reactions: hockeynorth and WaW

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I always thought Kubalik had more to give he had all the tools when he played for the Wolves, his path to the NHL is amazing, same with Kahun.

Yeah. I would be really curious as to what both would have to say about their experience in Sudbury and whether they think it helped or hurt their careers. Admittedly at that point the Wolves did not have an appropriate coaching staff for this level. Regardless of what you think of Matsos and Stillman's effectiveness as coaches, you can't deny they are both at least OHL calibre coaches, something I can't say with confidence that Trent Cull or Paul Fixter were at the time.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah. I would be really curious as to what both would have to say about their experience in Sudbury and whether they think it helped or hurt their careers. Admittedly at that point the Wolves did not have an appropriate coaching staff for this level. Regardless of what you think of Matsos and Stillman's effectiveness as coaches, you can't deny they are both at least OHL calibre coaches, something I can't say with confidence that Trent Cull or Paul Fixter were at the time.

Trent Cull was a good coach, Fixter no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad