Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
What about the idea of Ken Mackenzie hoping back on the bench? He's still very involved. One of the best coach's Wolves have ever had. Maybe he has that itch back.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
What about the idea of Ken Mackenzie hoping back on the bench? He's still very involved. One of the best coach's Wolves have ever had. Maybe he has that itch back.

Yes I liked Ken Mackenzie as a coach, I be ok with that. Be good if also his son Derek join in on the coaching staff.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I predict it will come down to Derek or Milley. My money is on Derek if the family wishes to return home. Timing is the big issue not knowing when hockey will resume.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
How deep are Sudbury's pockets in a pandemic? Because you'd have to dish out the cash to get Mike Yeo there coming off NHL head and assistant coaching jobs

Yes, he would be a nice pick up, but not realistic I don't think. With regards to Ken MacKenzie, for me it would be a short term fill in, if sticking with Stortini and Moxam for the season. Say what you want he was a very good coach, for the Wolves but I agree if they're someone with NHL clout to attract players would be preferable. However, Mackenzie no slouch.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ken McKenzie would be a huge step backwards and have zero draw power for players in the south. Let's move forward.
Agreed. He can tinker around like he has for decades but that would be the extent of his services. To put him behind the bench in the head role would be like having Oscar Clouthier as GM.
No thanks!

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I predict it will come down to Derek or Milley. My money is on Derek if the family wishes to return home. Timing is the big issue not knowing when hockey will resume.

Derek Mackenzie be great, but why would you leave an Assistant Coaching Job in Florida to come to be Head Coach in Sudbury. I get he has young family but that's a step back for him, I can't see it happening. The only way I see him coming if Florida didn't want him on coaching staff any longer.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Derek Mackenzie be great, but why would you leave an Assistant Coaching Job in Florida to come to be Head Coach in Sudbury. I get he has young family but that's a step back for him, I can't see it happening. The only way I see him coming if Florida didn't want him on coaching staff any longer.
I’m not sure on Derek being the head coach in Sudbury. He has a lot of intangibles such as competitiveness, Pro experience and leadership skills and from all reports he is well liked in Florida. The only way it’s possible is if he wants to have his family closer to his home roots and wanting a head coaching job to build his resume. Not sure if it would be a step backwards because of his age because he can always circle back to the NHL later. He would be able to relate more to the younger players and it could be a good development opportunity for him and the players. Will be interesting to see if he wants to come back to the cold or if there is even interest. I could see him wanting to come here maybe when his child is older and ready to play a high level of hockey in Ontario similar to Stillman.

WJ

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I’m not sure on Derek being the head coach in Sudbury. He has a lot of intangibles such as competitiveness, Pro experience and leadership skills and from all reports he is well liked in Florida. The only way it’s possible is if he wants to have his family closer to his home roots and wanting a head coaching job to build his resume. Not sure if it would be a step backwards because of his age because he can always circle back to the NHL later. He would be able to relate more to the younger players and it could be a good development opportunity for him and the players. Will be interesting to see if he wants to come back to the cold or if there is even interest. I could see him wanting to come here maybe when his child is older and ready to play a high level of hockey in Ontario similar to Stillman.

WJ
There are 3 assistant coaches with the Panthers, his wife is from here and the USA may not be the best place to raise a family going forward. I am sure this will all come into play.

Reactions: cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

Curious if Wolves fans were expecting him back as an OA?

Really interesting. I think it’s pretty sad that many of the older players and over age players to have their OHL careers come to an end in this fashion. With it being this late in the season I think many of them have had to make decisions on education and you will probably see more of them sign on to other Junior B teams soon. Best of luck to Nolan! Was hoping to see a really big breakthrough year in his OA season. Too bad will miss seeing Hutch, Byfield, Ross, Serentis, Samuelson, Robinson.

WJ

Bardownbeauty

Mar 1, 2016
The OHL season will most likely be cancelled. Agents/players looking for alternate routes to play-bravo to them. Missing a full season is not an option for some players. A player wants to play regardless where they land. Good for Hutch and the other players that are taking an opportunity to play. It’s better than the alternative: playing virtually.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The OHL season will most likely be cancelled. Agents/players looking for alternate routes to play-bravo to them. Missing a full season is not an option for some players. A player wants to play regardless where they land. Good for Hutch and the other players that are taking an opportunity to play. It’s better than the alternative: playing virtually.

This is what I don't get hockey is being playing else where but OHL rumoured to cancel season.

Reactions: Bardownbeauty

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

If you're thinking the OHL will be cancelled im not sure how you think the OJHL will still be going

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Bardownbeauty

Mar 1, 2016
Aside from no border crossings, players in OJHL/NOJHL etc do not cost $$$ to play; no cost for equipment, billets etc by the team. < maybe special arrangements for some> But overall minimal costs to the ownership. Kudos to the sponsors that are stepping up and financing these games that are being played. Community support at its best.

Reactions: djscooter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad