Sudbury Wolves 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I think this is as pro as it gets. There is no doubt his skill set is off the charts, the question is why we do not see them at this tournament so far? I think he has to call for the puck more and bare down and do what he does best and that is shoot the puck.

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
I think this is as pro as it gets. There is no doubt his skill set is off the charts, the question is why we do not see them at this tournament so far? I think he has to call for the puck more and bare down and do what he does best and that is shoot the puck.
Any also wear his mouth guard ! Just missed a shift for not wearing it. Jeepers!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Byfield good or bad in this tournament means nothing for his NHL career. Playing 11 to 12 minutes a game it's not easy to judge someones game.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Agree the question is what does he have to do to make a statement and play the way we are so use to seeing him play. What is holding him back?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Agree the question is what does he have to do to make a statement and play the way we are so use to seeing him play. What is holding him back?

just told you, playing 11 to 12 minutes a game when usually plays 20 minutes. why keep dwelling on it?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
just told you, playing 11 to 12 minutes a game when usually plays 20 minutes. why keep dwelling on it?

the results of Byfield’s 11-12 minutes do not warrant more TOI. I think he is really just not in his element trying to fit in and feed off of other very good players. When/if Byfield plays like the biggest, fastest, and most determined player on the ice he will probably be the most dominant player on the ice, and the other very good players will feed off him.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
the results of Byfield’s 11-12 minutes do not warrant more TOI. I think he is really just not in his element trying to fit in and feed off of other very good players. When/if Byfield plays like the biggest, fastest, and most determined player on the ice he will probably be the most dominant player on the ice, and the other very good players will feed off him.

When I watch him play, he is on for a quick shift with his line mates, there never seems to be any good flow or chemistry with teammates. He hasn't played a lot of minutes so far per game, so hard to judge his game. When he is on the ice, there is a-lot of scramble play and chipping in the puck. I watch him closely, can't criticize his game in my opinion, just being there is an honour, doesn't need the added pressure and criticism.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Could not agree more that is what I wanted to here your opinion and that sums it up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
When I watch him play, he is on for a quick shift with his line mates, there never seems to be any good flow or chemistry with teammates. He hasn't played a lot of minutes so far per game, so hard to judge his game. When he is on the ice, there is a-lot of scramble play and chipping in the puck. I watch him closely, can't criticize his game in my opinion, just being there is an honour, doesn't need the added pressure and criticism.

I don’t think criticism is warranted. Excuses are not warranted either, imo. If Byfield and line mates cannot make something happen in their 11-12 min, give more TOI to those that are; pretty simple really.

Reactions: justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I don’t think criticism is warranted. Excuses are not warranted either, imo. If Byfield and line mates cannot make something happen in their 11-12 min, give more TOI to those that are; pretty simple really.

agreed, that's what the coach is doing.

Reactions: dirty12

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Byfield is still despite being a returning player the youngest player rostered. He hasn't been given a real shot yet to find his game. I expect he'll eventually have that shift where things click and his confidence jumps. That's when we'll see the Byfield we all know.

Reactions: Wisdom and cub

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
I don't think there is going to be an OHL season. I expect Hutch and Stillman won't be the only ones jumping the pond to play in Europe. Any drafted players are going to be headed that way shortly...Teams need their prospects playing.
My bet is Murray, Thompson,Phillips and Byfield when he's done at WJC's head to play in Europe. I'm surprised Murray and Thomson aren't playing over there already.

I wouldn't bet my life on it but I'd put up a substantial $ bet on it.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Byfield is still despite being a returning player the youngest player rostered. He hasn't been given a real shot yet to find his game. I expect he'll eventually have that shift where things click and his confidence jumps. That's when we'll see the Byfield we all know.

Has Byfield in his 2nd WJC tournament been given less of a real shot than Tomasino who entered as an extra F? C’mon, a few months can make enough of a difference for 14-15 yr olds in high school sports, but Byfield at 19 yrs (edit: 18 yrs, 4 months, 10 days) and 6’4”, 215 lbs is hardly pre-pubescent

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Has Byfield in his 2nd WJC tournament been given less of a real shot than Tomasino who entered as an extra F? C’mon, a few months can make enough of a difference for 14-15 yr olds in high school sports, but Byfield at 19 yrs (edit: 18 yrs, 4 months, 10 days) and 6’4”, 215 lbs is hardly pre-pubescent

Like I said his tournament performance good or bad won't affect his NHL career. You seem to chime in a lot on Byfield lately, I do recall you saying Stillman wasn't a good coach but now hired as an Assistant coach with Arizona of the NHL? You seem to pick your spots to come on board, what gives? Never chimed in on Stillman progression to the NHL?

Reactions: Iloveallsports

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like I said his tournament performance good or bad won't affect his NHL career. You seem to chime in a lot on Byfield lately, I do recall you saying Stillman wasn't a good coach but now hired as an Assistant coach with Arizona of the NHL? You seem to pick your spots to come on board, what gives? Never chimed in on Stillman progression to the NHL?

apparently not easy for me not to comment on poor excuses made for poor performances team or individually.
What gives with you using posts in the wrong context and long enough ago to no longer be pertinent? In Stillman’s first season with the wolves, I stated Stillman may be a good (head) coach at some point, but he is not a good head coach at this time. In his 2nd season as head coach, I stated that the wolves coaching seems much better overall since the father-in-law joined the staff

cub

Apr 11, 2012
apparently not easy for me not to comment on poor excuses made for poor performances team or individually.
What gives with you using posts in the wrong context and long enough ago to no longer be pertinent? In Stillman’s first season with the wolves, I stated Stillman may be a good (head) coach at some point, but he is not a good head coach at this time. In his 2nd season as head coach, I stated that the wolves coaching seems much better overall since the father-in-law joined the staff

Context is that you criticized Stillman all 3 years during his tenure with the Wolves, he didn't have his father in law on coaching staff last year. Stillman makes it to the NHL, and don't hear a peep from you. I don't mind criticism but you seem to chime in on the board to give players, coaches and management a knock. I always said Stillman was a very good coach and NHL came calling, and he deserves some credit what he did for the organization. "I know good coaching" was used by you few times against me. lol.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
I noticed during Quintons shifts that he seldom gets passed to. He does pass to his team mates when he has possession. I could be wrong but Im going to watch closely to see if that the case

Reactions: justawolfan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Context is that you criticized Stillman all 3 years during his tenure with the Wolves, he didn't have his father in law on coaching staff last year. Stillman makes it to the NHL, and don't hear a peep from you. I don't mind criticism but you seem to chime in on the board to give players, coaches and management a knock. I always said Stillman was a very good coach and NHL came calling, and he deserves some credit what he did for the organization. "I know good coaching" was used by you few times against me. lol.

For sure I used ‘I know good GM’, and probably I know good coach as well. It kills me! :) LMAO every time. I made pointed criticisms of the GM the last two years. Coaches, I don’t think I really did.

If you choose, you can continue to say that from day 1 Stillman was a great head coach and the tank for Byfield was not on. But I just cannot agree having witnessed a 16 yr old 4th round picked D on PK in 3rd period of a tie in game 3 of the season while a 19 yr old NHL picked D was on the bench, then in the 4th game down one goal that same 16 yr old was on PP while Pezzetta, Sokolov, & Levin were benched.
For the record, I will never say great job coaching to last place

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I think he found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->