Sudbury Wolves 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah, the ‘67s likely lose 5-6 F to graduation; but, just one D. They will have an incredible returning group of D.
The wolves should not be too concerned about how good the east division looks right now. A lot can change. One of Ottawa, Oshawa, (outside chance of Kingston) will be awarded 2021 memorial cup which would mean pushing assets forward one year.
I think the wolves should only consider that the #2 seed can easily be had; and, that their window is closing fast. A year from now, the 2000-2002 forward group might consist of only Murray, Hutcheson, & Gihula.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Draft and develop

To what end? Contending teams consist of a minimum of 10(19-20 yr olds). Pre-season 2020, the 2001 & 2002 ohl proven forward group might consist of Murray. Butler may not show...

Last edited:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Yeah, the ‘67s likely lose 5-6 F to graduation; but, just one D. They will have an incredible returning group of D.
The wolves should not be too concerned about how good the east division looks right now. A lot can change. One of Ottawa, Oshawa, (outside chance of Kingston) will be awarded 2021 memorial cup which would mean pushing assets forward one year.
I think the wolves should only consider that the #2 seed can easily be had; and, that their window is closing fast. A year from now, the 2000-2002 forward group might consist of only Murray, Hutcheson, & Gihula.

The Wolves need goaltending and defence. This team had 8 goals scored against them twice in the Ottawa series, and that was with Lukkonen, what happens next year with a goalie slightly above average (if they get one) and the same defence? They are in trouble if this doesn't get addressed.

Best way to win is not to get scored on.

Reactions: Wolfpak

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
The Wolves need goaltending and defence. This team had 8 goals scored against them twice in the Ottawa series, and that was with Lukkonen, what happens next year with a goalie slightly above average (if they get one) and the same defence? They are in trouble if this doesn't get addressed.

Best way to win is not to get scored on.

You do realize players generally get better as they get older? Ottawa played way faster then us in that series... they are 11-0 in the playoffs so far. It’s not like we were the only team to have trouble with them. It takes time. Have some patience. It might not be our year next year but I feel like there’s been a lot of progress since Papineau has been in charge and we are trending in the right direction

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
You do realize players generally get better as they get older? Ottawa played way faster then us in that series... they are 11-0 in the playoffs so far. It’s not like we were the only team to have trouble with them. It takes time. Have some patience. It might not be our year next year but I feel like there’s been a lot of progress since Papineau has been in charge and we are trending in the right direction

This is not about not having patients, this about where the Wolves need fixing. If you are going to make a team better, you address the glaring holes in the lineup, correct?

Also, the stretch for the World Juniors the Wolves were outscored 27-13. this is where the team needs to begin.

Reactions: dirty12 and Wolfpak

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
This is not about not having patients, this about where the Wolves need fixing. If you are going to make a team better, you address the glaring holes in the lineup, correct?

Also, the stretch for the World Juniors the Wolves were outscored 27-13. this is where the team needs to begin.

It's totally a patience thing. Have patience with the defence we are developing.

Glaring holes? Ok let's discuss what we have as surplus in that case? What can we move to fill these "glaring holes" which you speak of? Are you ok with trading Phillips, Thompson or Ross?

Do we sell the farm and trade all our picks to get what you say we need?

I feel like your ready to make a huge run this season but the roster is still 1-2 seasons away from going all in when the D core is ready.

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's totally a patience thing. Have patience with the defence we are developing.

Glaring holes? Ok let's discuss what we have as surplus in that case? What can we move to fill these "glaring holes" which you speak of? Are you ok with trading Phillips, Thompson or Ross?

I feel like your ready to make a huge run this season but the roster is still 1-2 seasons away from going all in when the D core is ready.

Yes, trade away all the picks for a run. The year after trade Murray & Stratis to get them all back. It’s almost like borrowing at zero interest; so ridiculously easy.
It is likely the last season for all of Bulitka, Byfield, Carson, Levin, Robinson, McConville, Serensits. Here’s the thing; the 2001 class will consist of Murray, Ross, & Philips and the 2002 class will consist of Thompson, ...?
1-2 seasons from now will be the time for Barrie and NB. There will be little resistance for the #2 seed this coming season.

member 236327

UPL underwent successful Hip Surgery, expected to recover in 6 months.

So he was injured during the playoffs too.

Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yes, trade away all the picks for a run. The year after trade Murray & Stratis to get them all back. It’s almost like borrowing at zero interest; so ridiculously easy.
It is likely the last season for all of Bulitka, Byfield, Carson, Levin, Robinson, McConville, Serensits. Here’s the thing; the 2001 class will consist of Murray, Ross, & Philips and the 2002 class will consist of Thompson, ...?
1-2 seasons from now will be the time for Barrie and NB. There will be little resistance for the #2 seed this coming season.
Don't forget that 2 seasons from now the OHL hosts the Memorial Cup, with the front runners in the bidding for host all coming from the East.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Don't forget that 2 seasons from now the OHL hosts the Memorial Cup, with the front runners in the bidding for host all coming from the East.

Yeah, that’s a factor that I mentioned in a previous post. There’s a good chance ‘67s or Gens hold back assets to use 2020-21.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

No, I am not ready to make any such thing at all. I am merely stating the obvious. The defence is week, and beyond Lukonnen the goaltending practically non- existent.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
No, I am not ready to make any such thing at all. I am merely stating the obvious. The defence is week, and beyond Lukonnen the goaltending practically non- existent.

That's rather slick. The vast majority of us passionate and knowledgeable hockey fans here completely disagree with your statement that it is "obvious" that the defense is weak. Goaltending is something we must address.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

You mean weak. Agree to disagree about the defence. I’ll give you the goalie... for now

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's rather slick. The vast majority of us passionate and knowledgeable hockey fans here completely disagree with your statement that it is "obvious" that the defense is weak. Goaltending is something we must address.

The wolves have a few D that are pretty good for their age. The D as a unit, is average if Serensits fully recovers from a broken leg.
‘Knowledgeable hockey fans’ are aware that the wolves D is further behind that of the ‘67s, Petes, Gens now, than at season’s end. Barrie added York at the deadline, then drafted Clarke to replace graduating D. The wolves (so far) graduate Candela, are undecided on Demeo, and unsure of how Serensits recovers. The wolves D will need additions in order to compete.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
The wolves have a few D that are pretty good for their age. The D as a unit, is average if Serensits fully recovers from a broken leg.
‘Knowledgeable hockey fans’ are aware that the wolves D is further behind that of the ‘67s, Petes, Gens now, than at season’s end. Barrie added York at the deadline, then drafted Clarke to replace graduating D. The wolves (so far) graduate Candela, are undecided on Demeo, and unsure of how Serensits recovers. The wolves D will need additions in order to compete.

Ah yes because players in this league don't improve as they get older. I forgot about that :huh:

Especially guys like Thompson and Phillips who played big roles at 16 and improved tremendously from start to finish, and are both possibly looking at the 2020 NHL draft.

Reactions: hockeynorth and cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad