Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I read this post and meant to reply. I’m not sure how many years you’ve followed the league or the Wolves but it has been very common and even the norm for years for them to play three games in three or four days, often against well rested teams. It’s the nature of the league and no teams have it worse than the northern teams.
For example they often play their Sunday afternoon wrap up game at the tail end of their road trip after having played the night before. If any team would or should have complained it would be the Wolves.
Kudos to whoever is responsible for working out the schedule as it has gotten better with the new ownership, but three in threes had long been the norm. For example Kitchener will play the Wolves on Monday on the tail end of three games in less than four days and look no further that the upcoming road swing through the States for a three in three to the great benefit of Windsor in this case. Way it goes, it should even out overall but it doesn’t, mostly because of geography of course.

Wolves have had it great since almost eliminating Saturday night home games. Last season the wolves were tied for the least 3 in 3

cub

Apr 11, 2012
great first period by the Wolves. Purboo seems to look more comfortable, hopefully I don't jinx him.. Byfield line on first goal was beauty in moving the puck in zone and finishing for a goal.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Few things went wrong in this period. Purpoo being the most concerning, again.

Papineau best be on the the phone this weekend shopping for a starting goaltender. This cant go on.

Bad gamble on this trade with the Bay.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
speechless, lol. I put the jinx on Purboo, some dumb penalties to let Oshawa back in the game. Full credit to Oshawa in coming back.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Gens scored on three one-timers? One was slighted re-directed. One Purboo got over to get a piece of the puck, maybe should of had it. Leading 3-0 with 12 min. to go, then give up 5 goals ... that’s a team collapse

But discredit the D (with a lead). They are soft and lack (defensive) awareness; and, took penalties when beaten. Thompson’s got it, but can’t expect him to handle the better 19-20 yr olds at 17.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
those back to back penalties Stratis delay of game, and then Gilhula hooking, just dumb penalties being veterans shouldn't take, needed to bear down and shut it down.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Gens scored on three one-timers? One was slighted re-directed. One Purboo got over to get a piece of the puck, maybe should of had it. Leading 3-0 with 12 min. to go, then give up 5 goals ... that’s a team collapse

But discredit the D (with a lead). They are soft and lack (defensive) awareness; and, took penalties when beaten. Thompson’s got it, but can’t expect him to handle the better 19-20 yr olds at 17.

Purboo gave up 5 goals on 8 shots. A plastic goaltender cutout from walmart would have put up a better save percentage.

Carson and Stratis were also a mess as far as I'm concerned. Wolves powerplay needs to be seriously reevaluated as well. Definitely a game they should not have lost, Weeks should be getting the next start without a second thought. Hell throw in Bowen, or why not Caron? Can't possibly be worse.

those back to back penalties Stratis delay of game, and then Gilhula hooking, just dumb penalties being veterans shouldn't take, needed to bear down and shut it down.

They may be veterans based on experience, but they're bad OHL players. Gilhula can look great with the puck on his stick, but don't ask him to play any defense. Stratis is just an absolute trainwreck as well.

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Purboo gave up 5 goals on 8 shots. A plastic goaltender cutout from walmart would have put up a better save percentage.

Carson and Stratis were also a mess as far as I'm concerned. Wolves powerplay needs to be seriously reevaluated as well. Definitely a game they should not have lost, Weeks should be getting the next start without a second thought. Hell throw in Bowen, or why not Caron? Can't possibly be worse.

They may be veterans based on experience, but they're bad OHL players. Gilhula can look great with the puck on his stick, but don't ask him to play any defense. Stratis is just an absolute trainwreck as well.

I'm for Bowman. Cant do worse. Might even surprise.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Purboo is a joke
Il bet "all the money in the world we aren't winning shit with him. Yes we can talk about a thousand other things but ultimately your goalie is the last line of defence and he couldn't stop a suitcase when it counted. Cut him loose, I personally have seen enough.

Reactions: MGOBlue

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Games like this you really see who's your better players. Gilhula, Hutchison, Robertson, not. Carson gives 150 percent, but.......

Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I'm a Papineau supporter but big blunder on Purpoo. It happens but gotta be fixed and quick. I believe he will fix it. But at what cost.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Disgraceful. Say what you will about some of the soft penalty calls whatever but you need to get over that right away and focus on killing them off. Horrible work on the PK in the 3rd. Purboo needs to make a save at some point too. It's not all on him, but certainly not good enough. Oshawa are too good a team to not play a full 60 against.

Reactions: dirty12

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I’ve watched North Bay’s games. They are young yes, but they work very hard and have talent to work with. Watch some of their players develop in the coming seasons. They lost to the Petes and Gens who are much older and deeper by a lone goal, they’re not “terrible” in my mind.

Agree to disgree here. Im not talking about their future, which although I agree is bright, still doesn't mean they can't be bad right now. In my eyes the'll be battling it out with Kingston and Guelph for the #1 pick

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Games like this you really see who's your better players. Gilhula, Hutchison, Robertson, not. Carson gives 150 percent, but.......

Carson can be replaced by an OA D, imo; but, those F you mention did not impact the loss like the D. A D coughed up the puck at the offensive blue line creating a partial break away. A D took a penalty behind his goal line. A D put the puck over the glass for a delay of game. The team had too many on the ice ... this is some of what went wrong in the final 12 min..

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Carson can be replaced by an OA D, imo; but, those F you mention did not impact the loss like the D. A D coughed up the puck at the offensive blue line creating a partial break away. A D took a penalty behind his goal line. A D put the puck over the glass for a delay of game. The team had too many on the ice ... this is some of what went wrong in the final 12 min..

The PK was not good. Yes it wasn't their better 3rd periods this season but if Purpoo play wasn't so poor, we win. Period.

Other than Purboo, id look to sure up the forward position at this point. The D right now IMO isn't the pressing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad