Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Didn't mention names. I stated what they need, not that it was readily available. Where there is a will hopefully they'll be a way. Kind of a cruel twist of fate that Ukko isn't here for this year.

I think we all agree if we had Ukko we COULD be top 5 in the country but we don’t and quite frankly there is NO ONE like him playing in the OHL right now.... Can we get over this? I’ve heard enough talk about Ukko or needing to upgrading the position, especially without mentioning any names or suggestions on how to. These two kids will have to get it done! Here’s my suggestion! The organization needs to support these kids and give them confidence for a run in the playoffs. Get better every day. Forget yesterday... forget that weak goal you let in... it doesn’t matter anymore... it’s about the next opportunity. The next shot. The next game. Get better every day!!

Saying this isn’t the year to develop goalies is ridiculous! This entire league is about developmental. The better you develop, the better your team will be... Develop the tenders your scouts and management found and make it work. Are they going to be perfect? No. Will they be Ukko absolutely not! Get over it... we will need our current goalies to be better and play with confidence that they can steal a game or two when the offense falls off the cliff and we need them to. we’re scoring 5 goals a game and the team defence will improve as the year goes on I have no doubt!! This team is well coached and can make a deep run with good goaltending... it doesn’t need to be spectacular. I really like the young core right now. We can’t panic just because Byfield will be gone next year and lose the foundation we FINALLY built!

Just my opinion. My comments aren’t meant to be directed to anyone, it’s just my overall feeling about the team this year and the team going FORWARD! Ukko’s gone... Dichow likely never wearing a wolves jersey... support the kids we have in house and give them a chance to succeed with the great group of skaters we managed to put together the last three years!

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think we all agree if we had Ukko we COULD be top 5 in the country but we don’t and quite frankly there is NO ONE like him playing in the OHL right now.... Can we get over this? I’ve heard enough talk about Ukko or needing to upgrading the position, especially without mentioning any names or suggestions on how to. These two kids will have to get it done! Here’s my suggestion! The organization needs to support these kids and give them confidence for a run in the playoffs. Get better every day. Forget yesterday... forget that weak goal you let in... it doesn’t matter anymore... it’s about the next opportunity. The next shot. The next game. Get better every day!!

Saying this isn’t the year to develop goalies is ridiculous! This entire league is about developmental. The better you develop, the better your team will be... Develop the tenders your scouts and management found and make it work. Are they going to be perfect? No. Will they be Ukko absolutely not! Get over it... we will need our current goalies to be better and play with confidence that they can steal a game or two when the offense falls off the cliff and we need them to. we’re scoring 5 goals a game and the team defence will improve as the year goes on I have no doubt!! This team is well coached and can make a deep run with good goaltending... it doesn’t need to be spectacular. I really like the young core right now. We can’t panic just because Byfield will be gone next year and lose the foundation we FINALLY built!

Just my opinion. My comments aren’t meant to be directed to anyone, it’s just my overall feeling about the team this year and the team going FORWARD! Ukko’s gone... Dichow likely never wearing a wolves jersey... support the kids we have in house and give them a chance to succeed with the great group of skaters we managed to put together the last three years!
I appreciate and agree with the premise of your post, however there is nothing wrong with the notion of being on the lookout for a possible high caliber proven goalie, from wherever. It is defeatist to think otherwise. No one is saying these guys can't be developed (personally i think we should be focusing on Weeks, I like his movement) or shouldn't be given a chance but you show me one team that went to a championship with an unproven goalie, which is exactly what our guys are at this point. Also I do dispute that only good and not outstanding goaltending will needed. It must be outstanding, look at past championship teams, even Popovich was great when needed. Fact are facts, I'm not saying to not be behind them or throw in the towel but the results speak for themselves (so far anyway). We are very early in the season and our starters have each already been pulled and more than once for Purboo.
A final point. I and others have been watching this team "develop" for decades. We have every right to expect and desire a championship contender, at least once in my lifetime. I personally have invested a small fortune, not to mention untold disappointment. Leave no stone unturned in the effort to bring a championship contender, something that we diehards at least have been waiting for for what seems like eons and badly deserve.

Last edited:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I appreciate and agree with the premise of your post, however there is nothing wrong with the notion of being on the lookout for a possible high caliber proven goalie, from wherever. It is defeatist to think otherwise. No one is saying these guys can't be developed (personally i think we should be focusing on Weeks, I like his movement) or shouldn't be given a chance but you show me one team that went to a championship with an unproven goalie, which is exactly what our guys are at this point. Also I do dispute that only good and not outstanding goaltending will due. It must be outstanding. Fact are facts, I'm not saying to not be behind them or throw in the towel but the results speak for themselves (so far anyway). We are very early in the season and our starters have each already been pulled and more than once for Purboo.
A final point. I and others have been watching this team "develop" for decades. We have every right to expect and desire a championship contender, at least once in my lifetime. I personally have invested a small fortune, not to mention untold disappointment. Leave no stone unturned in the effort to bring a championship contender, something that we diehards at least have been waiting for for what seems like eons and badly deserve.

Timpano 2016-17 was partially unproved when Erie won.

Justin Nichols 2013-14 when Guelph won was unproven playing in only 24 games going into that season.

I could even argue that Sebastian Danm was unproven going into our deep run in 07.

Maybe these aren’t great examples but they are something.

I understand your frustration with wanting an OHL championship. We want the same thing.

We came close in 2007. I though 2014 was going to be our year when we loaded up and watched our future get traded away for Carrick and Faksa. Those trades costs us a lot of capital and set us back for years! You’re entitled to your opinion and I don’t disagree with your passion. You want to go all in I’m ok with that. I don’t want us to suck for the next 5 years. That’s the risk.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Justin Nichols 2013-14 when Guelph won was unproven playing in only 24 games going into that season.

I could even argue that Sebastian Danm was unproven going into our deep run in 07.

I understand your frustration with wanting an OHL championship. We want the same thing.

We came close in 2007. I though 2014 was going to be our year when we loaded up and watched our future get traded away for Carrick and Faksa. Those trades costs us a lot of capital and set us back for years! You’re entitled to your opinion and I don’t disagree with your passion. You want to go all in I’m ok with that. I don’t want us to suck for the next 5 years. That’s the risk.
I understand but no risk no reward. Nothing wrong with entertaining a calculated risk. You can't stand pat when it could be the year to really make noise. If done cleverly there is no need to "suck" for years after. None of us want that.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Where are you going to get an A goalie? Names, please.

Barrie?. Silovs, if the price is right. The colts will have ensured Greaves will not be overworked like Hunter (Petes) last season; so, they won’t need two starters after the break.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Difference is there will be less graduations, more to sell to rebuild; Murray, Ross, Philips, Purboo, Hutcheson, Gihula, Robinson, Stratis, Serensits should all return.

Last edited:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Difference is there will be less graduations, more to sell to rebuild; Murray, Ross, Philips, Purboo, Hutcheson, Gihula, Robinson should all return

Just so I understand where you’re going with this.

Step 1: Go all in this year at all cost.

Step 2: sell some of names above to rebuild after the season

Step 3: compete again in 2021-22?

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Keep winning and players will waive their no trade contracts at the trade deadline to come here if Paps decides to go all in. Who would not want to be part of the Wolves if they decide to go for it. After Christmas could be a whole new look. You don't want to tweak too early and burn cards that can be more useful down the road.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just so I understand where you’re going with this.

Step 1: Go all in this year at all cost.

Step 2: sell some of names above to rebuild after the season

Step 3: compete again in 2021-22?

Get what can be had for a couple of the OA next pre-season.
Be quite competitive until trade deadline then sell finishing 5-6.
Down year would be ‘21-‘22.
Compete in ‘22-‘23.

The wolves would return almost the exact same for Murray & Philips or Ross as it would cost for Tucker & Silovs or Peckar; or, similar for any team looking to sell now to take a run in ‘21.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Huge game Friday vs Oshawa! Oshawa is crazy good right now!

WJ
No doubt they’re a good team and their record shows that out but take into consideration who they’ve played so far. Kingston twice, North Bay, Mississauga, Hamilton, Niagara and Saginaw. Outside of Saginaw I think it’s safe to say none of these teams are expected to be relevant. I hope the Wolves are as pumped as they should be to knock em off and hopefully they’ll get OHL level goaltending because they will need it.

Last edited:

three dog night

May 3, 2014
No doubt they’re a good team and their record bears that out but take into consideration who they’ve played so far. Kingston twice, North Bay, Mississauga, Hamilton, Niagara and Saginaw. Outside of Saginaw I think it’s safe to say none of these teams are expected to be relevant. I hope the Wolves are as pumped as they should be to knock em off and hopefully they’ll get OHL level goaltending because they will need it.
Niagara took them to overtime I know Noel and MacClean did not play but Noel doesn’t do to much against us most of the time he in the box.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
No doubt they’re a good team and their record bears that out but take into consideration who they’ve played so far. Kingston twice, North Bay, Mississauga, Hamilton, Niagara and Saginaw. Outside of Saginaw I think it’s safe to say none of these teams are expected to be relevant. I hope the Wolves are as pumped as they should be to knock em off and hopefully they’ll get OHL level goaltending because they will need it.

Wolves will be ready, I guarantee that. They are well prepared. Right now, goaltending is the real worry IMO. But I think by Christmas if it's a big issue with (musical chairs) them climbing the standings, then they will need to address it, again. Perhaps outside of the OHL. Mario Culina type of situation.

I'm not certain the two are capable of stealing any games for this team. You just dont have that feeling. The wolves won't win every game obviously but there will be times they don't have there A game and will need help.

I'll say this, if these two are the tandem for the season , playing well, and leading us into the playoffs , I'll gladly eat Crow, gladly!

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Posted this in the Byfield discussion - curious as a Fronts fan - could Bonello be an option? I realize you already have 3 OAs, but I'm wondering if the upgrade would be worth it?

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Wolves will be ready, I guarantee that. They are well prepared. Right now, goaltending is the real worry IMO. But I think by Christmas if it's a big issue with (musical chairs) them climbing the standings, then they will need to address it, again. Perhaps outside of the OHL. Mario Culina type of situation.

I'm not certain the two are capable of stealing any games for this team. You just dont have that feeling. The wolves won't win every game obviously but there will be times they don't have there A game and will need help.

I'll say this, if these two are the tandem for the season , playing well, and leading us into the playoffs , I'll gladly eat Crow, gladly!

Culina was available because he was an overager. Which one are you giving up? Carson?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
How good is he?
He keeps them in games they have absolutely no business being, his numbers will look like crap but that's strictly because the team in front of him is absolute garbage. I'd say he's definitely on the upper tier of Eastern goalies.

There was another thread about each team's best player, and he was pretty much unanimously Kingston's pick - but again Kingston is garbage

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I just don't see the wolves giving up on any of their current overagers. Levin has been our second best player, Bulitka has chemistry with Byfield and Carson is the capatin.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I just don't see the wolves giving up on any of their current overagers. Levin has been our second best player, Bulitka has chemistry with Byfield and Carson is the capatin.
Good point, have to be a nineteen year old unless it’s “an offer they can’t refuse”.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Captains can be traded...Pezetta..
We have two captains..I don't think they will but anything could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad