Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
expecting really good game friday. Oshawa beat a very good Saginaw team on sunday and they have just added for the last two games, Seron Noel and Captain back on sunday Maclean. Yes we have played weaker teams but you have to win those as well. I would say the Niagara game was also a tough game playing in that building and Niagara has some of their big players still. (assume they will be dealt by Jan)
Oshawa is definitely bidding on Memorial Cup next year but this years team is pretty strong. Our concern was in net but its looking like a steal getting Maclean from Owen Sound for nothing. His confidence is building. Oshawa has solid defense and three solid scoring lines. 4th line with young energy guys mostly.

The East should come down to Ottawa, Sudbury, Peterborough and Oshawa but i like how our GM makes moves and makes the team better.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
expecting really good game friday. Oshawa beat a very good Saginaw team on sunday and they have just added for the last two games, Seron Noel and Captain back on sunday Maclean. Yes we have played weaker teams but you have to win those as well. I would say the Niagara game was also a tough game playing in that building and Niagara has some of their big players still. (assume they will be dealt by Jan)
Oshawa is definitely bidding on Memorial Cup next year but this years team is pretty strong. Our concern was in net but its looking like a steal getting Maclean from Owen Sound for nothing. His confidence is building. Oshawa has solid defense and three solid scoring lines. 4th line with young energy guys mostly.

The East should come down to Ottawa, Sudbury, Peterborough and Oshawa but i like how our GM makes moves and makes the team better.

This will be an interesting match up. Oshawa has a nice looking line-up. What Oshawa will quickly realize is that Byfield and Levin are on another level this season, and seem to be able to generate offense at will. Noel sure would look nice on a line with Byfield come the deadline. McCallum plus picks

Reactions: dirty12

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
This will be an interesting match up. Oshawa has a nice looking line-up. What Oshawa will quickly realize is that Byfield and Levin are on another level this season, and seem to be able to generate offense at will. Noel sure would look nice on a line with Byfield come the deadline. McCallum plus picks
Noel wont be traded unless things went south hard.

Sudbury for sure will be a top team this year, bet you wish you still had top goalie, Pekka on this team this year :nod:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Should be a great game.

Gens fan making the trip.

Best local pub for a pre game meal and pint?

:)

Townehouse (beside arena). But be there 5:00-5:30 as it gets brutally slow for food nearer to game time.
Hard Rock 41 - Gastropub is great too, but 10 min. walk or 2 min. cab ride from arena. I suppose (if not a bus trip) that you could just park for free at the Clarion hotel (same building); eat, drink, & go

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatanathol and WaW

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Just thinking out loud...I wonder if anyone has ever complained to the league about the fact that most of our Friday night home games are against teams that played in North Bay the Thursday night before. It actually on the face of it seems rather unfair for everyone involved except for us, lol.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I'm fairly certain there would be data out there that would support the home team who did not play the the night prior has more of an advantage than usual when playing a road team on the back end of a back-to-back.

Not that I'm complaining or specifically implying anything about tomorrow night's game (since Oshawa area a great team and I'm sure something like this won't really phase them), and there are plenty of legitimate reasons as to why this is the arrangement, but it always felt ridiculous from a competitive standpoint to me nonetheless.

I know this isn't the NHL, but the Ottawa Senators would absolutely flip their shit if teams that played in Toronto Saturday night always played in Ottawa the Friday night first lol.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just thinking out loud...I wonder if anyone has ever complained to the league about the fact that most of our Friday night home games are against teams that played in North Bay the Thursday night before. It actually on the face of it seems rather unfair for everyone involved except for us, lol.

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I'm fairly certain there would be data out there that would support the home team who did not play the the night prior has more of an advantage than usual when playing a road team on the back end of a back-to-back.

Not that I'm complaining or specifically implying anything about tomorrow night's game (since Oshawa area a great team and I'm sure something like this won't really phase them), and there are plenty of legitimate reasons as to why this is the arrangement, but it always felt ridiculous from a competitive standpoint to me nonetheless.

I know this isn't the NHL, but the Ottawa Senators would absolutely flip their **** if teams that played in Toronto Saturday night always played in Ottawa the Friday night first lol.

The few and far between Wednesday and Saturday games was a good change for the wolves. Last couple of years have been a great advantage with teams visiting Friday after a Thursday stop in Barrie or NB; and, Sunday afternoons after a stop in Barrie, (sometimes Soo) Saturday night.

Reactions: WaW

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
The few and far between Wednesday and Saturday games was a good change for the wolves. Last couple of years have been a great advantage with teams visiting Friday after a Thursday stop in Barrie or NB; and, Sunday afternoons after a stop in Barrie, (sometimes Soo) Saturday night.

Ill say one thing about Saturday though, the few 4:00 pm Saturday games we had in the first half of last season had good attendance and wicked atmosphere. I think that's a potential goldmine of a start time from a business perspective, although isn't the most ideal competitively after a Friday nighter

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Ill say one thing about Saturday though, the few 4:00 pm Saturday games we had in the first half of last season had good attendance and wicked atmosphere. I think that's a potential goldmine of a start time from a business perspective, although isn't the most ideal competitively after a Friday nighter

Saturday 4pm games are great for the kids and young families but not so much for those that work until 6 or later. The odd Sudbury Saturday night games are still the way to go for full houses imo.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
So Oshawa used Andrew MacLean last night, just like PBO used Hunter Jones in NB last Thursday. We might get Oshawa's backup as well.

I don't agree with this strategy since North Bay are terrible, but I won't complain.

Reactions: Uncle

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
So Oshawa used Andrew MacLean last night, just like PBO used Hunter Jones in NB last Thursday. We might get Oshawa's backup as well.

I don't agree with this strategy since North Bay are terrible, but I won't complain.

In their only other 2-in-2 this season, Walters had MacLean start both games.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
In their only other 2-in-2 this season, Walters had MacLean start both games.

Interesting. We frequently did that with Ukko last year, but early in the season I find teams usually like to see what they have in their backup during back to backs. Will be interesting to see if it's MacLean again tonight or not.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Interesting. We frequently did that with Ukko last year, but early in the season I find teams usually like to see what they have in their backup during back to backs. Will be interesting to see if it's MacLean again tonight or not.

I assume they would've gone Paputsakis vs NB if he was getting a game this weekend. I'd assume it'll be MacLean tonight

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

I know this isn't the NHL, but the Ottawa Senators would absolutely flip their **** if teams that played in Toronto Saturday night always played in Ottawa the Friday night first lol.
I read this post and meant to reply. I’m not sure how many years you’ve followed the league or the Wolves but it has been very common and even the norm for years for them to play three games in three or four days, often against well rested teams. It’s the nature of the league and no teams have it worse than the northern teams.
For example they often play their Sunday afternoon wrap up game at the tail end of their road trip after having played the night before. If any team would or should have complained it would be the Wolves.
Kudos to whoever is responsible for working out the schedule as it has gotten better with the new ownership, but three in threes had long been the norm. For example Kitchener will play the Wolves on Monday on the tail end of three games in less than four days and look no further that the upcoming road swing through the States for a three in three to the great benefit of Windsor in this case. Way it goes, it should even out overall but it doesn’t, mostly because of geography of course.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

I’ve watched North Bay’s games. They are young yes, but they work very hard and have talent to work with. Watch some of their players develop in the coming seasons. They lost to the Petes and Gens who are much older and deeper by a lone goal, they’re not “terrible” in my mind.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’ve watched North Bay’s games. They are young yes, but they work very hard and have talent to work with. Watch some of their players develop in the coming seasons. They lost to the Petes and Gens who are much older and deeper by a lone goal, they’re not “terrible” in my mind.

Agree with this. Last night NB played very well and limited the Gens chances really effectively. If they had a better goalie who could’ve gotten a big stop when they needed it, they easily could’ve won

His ideology might be outdated but Stan is still a very good teacher and coach. Has his team playing hard and responsible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad