Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
On positive note, Loponen showed some promise especially on offensive side with two goals, still needs to work on defensive game a little. Thompson is a stud in my opinion, he plays well in both ends of the ice well. The good sign we can play with any team even when goaltending is question. Some more tweaking we will be tough team to beat.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The PK was not good. Yes it wasn't their better 3rd periods this season but if Purpoo play wasn't so poor, we win. Period.

Other than Purboo, id look to sure up the forward position at this point. The D right now IMO isn't the pressing issue.

Mostly disagree. Purboo failed to make a few UPL type game savers; but it was miscues that caused the 2 on 1 and partial break and delay of game and too many men, & soft play and poor defensive awareness by the D that played a larger role in the collapse after leading 3-0 with 12 min. to go.
Go get a 19 or 20 yr old D that can calmly play with a lead.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
On positive note, Loponen showed some promise especially on offensive side with two goals, still needs to work on defensive game a little. Thompson is a stud in my opinion, he plays well in both ends of the ice well. The good sign we can play with any team even when goaltending is question. Some more tweaking we will be tough team to beat.
Bang on cubby.

Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Mostly disagree. Purboo failed to make a few UPL type game savers; but it was miscues that caused the 2 on 1 and partial break and delay of game and too many men, & soft play and poor defensive awareness by the D that played a larger role in the collapse after leading 3-0 with 12 min. to go.

Did you wear shades in the third period?

Purpoo was not there when called upon.

Go have a beer brother, good night

cub

Apr 11, 2012
what options are out there in acquiring a veteran goalie in the OHL?, there doesn't seem to be much out there.

On a sad note, Hutchinson has missed an empty net against Petes, and got a goal called back for him being offside, talk about bad luck. lol.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
If we flip a coin for every shot on net, we probably win the game. That's bad.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Need a goalie. Even an average goalie would have saved three out of the five goals with the fifth one being the worst.PK needs work as well and there were some bone headed plays in the third but making average stops is necessary. Play Weeks for a stretch and see if he can do the job. Oshawa is a really good team but were ripe for the picking tonight

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
After watching this 3rd period mess tonight, I have to maintain my thought that moving Stratis would or could net us a solid stay at home dman or the goalie we clearly need. He's not really making a difference to our back line at the moment. Making him available would, at the very least, get us in the ballpark for the piece(s) we currently need. Purboo might be a nice kid but it's obvious he's not the pressure resistant guy we need back there. Weeks could be but that would be asking a bit much from him at this point. We had periods of excellence in the early going so there were a lot of positives before the collapse.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
After watching this 3rd period mess tonight, I have to maintain my thought that moving Stratis would or could net us a solid stay at home dman or the goalie we clearly need. He's not really making a difference to our back line at the moment. Making him available would, at the very least, get us in the ballpark for the piece(s) we currently need. Purboo might be a nice kid but it's obvious he's not the pressure resistant guy we need back there. Weeks could be but that would be asking a bit much from him at this point. We had periods of excellence in the early going so there were a lot of positives before the collapse.

I felt bad for the kid. But he's just not a quality goalie especially where the wolves want to go and are heading.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I have stated it before. Strengthen our defensive core with a solid left handed defender. It will ease some of the immaturity and soft play back there. Purboo was a concern coming in from the Bay with limited OHL games as a veteran. I know there isn't a lot of options out there but this was the concern back in May. And drafting a goalie in the Import draft was easily predicted but he didn't show. One thing is certain this team will not have the confidence in their goaltending and it might lead to a less inspired effort as seen tonight. Teams already know if you are behind vs Sudbury don't give up because their goalies will not make the big saves to preserve a victory.

It will be very interesting to see how our GM addresses this issue. I have personally seen enough and you cannot wait for Purboo to improve it won't happen. He has some major deficiencies in his game which cannot be fixed at this juncture of his OHL career. Time to move on from him as soon as possible. I don't buy the excuse the Sudbury Star article on the goaltending. Its like it was written that we know we are going to lose games because of goaltending.

Now aside from our goalie problems what about the horrible penalties taken at very bad times in this game. Hooking penalties are lazy penalties. You lose a battle you get back into the play not hook the player in the offensive zone. It horrible hockey sense. It hurts your team and its selfish. Carson had a horrendous game and his give away in the offensive zone was deadly especially when everyone is on the rush. Our face-offs in the defensive zone on the PK was not good and it cost us.

Not to take anything away from Oshawa because you have to be a good team to come back as they did and still work for the full 60 even when they were down late in the game.

WJ

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Also on the Generals: I despise alot of things about them. I know London have been more dominant in recent history, but the Gens sorta remind me of the New England Patriots. Hate alot of the shit they get away with on the ice, hate their coaching staff, culture, annoying fanbase, etc...but I would take everything about how that franchise is run, team is coached, players are developed over what we do in a heartbeat, and I sure as hell respect their model. That was a classic Gens performance in the 5 or so minutes out of the 60 that they actually showed up to play and won the game. Do what you have to to scrape by against a good team on the road. Business as usual, keep on trucking along, keep racking up the wins.

And no, i will not be entertaining any debate discussion with regard to my proclamation that we have a good team.:thumbu:

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Also on the Generals: I love alot of things about them. I know London have been more dominant in recent history, but the Gens sorta remind me of the New England Patriots. Love alot of the **** they get away with on the ice, love their coaching staff, culture, awesome fanbase, etc...but I would take everything about how that franchise is run, team is coached, players are developed over what we do in a heartbeat, and I sure as hell respect their model. That was a classic Gens performance in the 5 or so minutes out of the 60 that they actually showed up to play and won the game. Do what you have to to scrape by against a good team on the road. Business as usual, keep on trucking along, keep racking up the wins.

And no, i will not be entertaining any debate discussion with regard to my proclamation that we have a good team.:thumbu:

To your last sentence of this, I don't see how anyone could say the SBY teams isn't good. They dominated the #1 team in the country for 45-50 minutes tonight and clearly has an offence that is going to score a ton of goals all year. OSH, SBY, PBO are all extremely legit this year and any one of those 3 could win the whole league if they make some shrewd moves going forward

jrwhopper

May 28, 2015
To your last sentence of this, I don't see how anyone could say the SBY teams isn't good. They dominated the #1 team in the country for 45-50 minutes tonight and clearly has an offence that is going to score a ton of goals all year. OSH, SBY, PBO are all extremely legit this year and any one of those 3 could win the whole league if they make some shrewd moves going forward

If we had even decent goaltending the last 12 minutes, Wolves give the Gens their first loss tonight.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Goaltending was a huge problem however last night was a team effort in how to lose a game. Carson has multi point nights when he plays against lower skilled lines. Last night he was matched up against their scoring line and he did not play well. Gilhula takes a penalty in the offensive zone and at a crucial time in the game (hmm when has he done that) and doesnt seem to understand that there is a defensive side of the game at all. He loves the glory but doesnt want to work. Murray was asleep the whole game. Stratis ...control the puck at the line and get in the game. Serentis seems physically weak out there. He tries hard but is just bouncing off guys. PP needs to put the puck in the net. At times they moved it well but just didnt score. Penalty kill could tighten things up however this is where the goalie needed to save even two of those goals. Bottom line some key players decided they won that game in the 2nd and instead of playing defensive shut down hockey in the 3rd, they decided to play high risk stupid hockey. Just a huge disappointment.

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Also on the Generals: I despise alot of things about them. I know London have been more dominant in recent history, but the Gens sorta remind me of the New England Patriots. Hate alot of the **** they get away with on the ice, hate their coaching staff, culture, annoying fanbase, etc...but I would take everything about how that franchise is run, team is coached, players are developed over what we do in a heartbeat, and I sure as hell respect their model. That was a classic Gens performance in the 5 or so minutes out of the 60 that they actually showed up to play and won the game. Do what you have to to scrape by against a good team on the road. Business as usual, keep on trucking along, keep racking up the wins.

Have to disagree on a couple of your points. This team since being run by a top owner has changed. London is the New York Yankee team of the league. I hate how London has seemed to be on another level for so long and everyone trying to catch up.
Tullio in Oshawa runs the organization differently since he became owners. The players rave about him as an owner. They play extremely hard for him, coaches, fans. Pride of once a General always a General is real.
Sure are there some fans on social media that can be a little over the top and rub others the wrong way, you bet. But they don’t represent the entire organization. This teams fans travel to see their team in every building. Even the Memorial Cup in 2015 had probably 6000 fans drive 8 hours to see them win.
Oshawa with a great owner and solid GM and arena and fan base has finally in last ten years become a place players desire to play.

London will always be the standard leader and I’m not a fan of the Hunters but Oshawa has moved into the discussion of being a strong organization to play in.

Sudbury has a really good team and for sure if you had Pekka still , you would be top team in league. We miss Keyser from last year too but I think our Gm found a pretty good goalie in Maclean from Owen Sound who was available.
Oshawa could have shut it down and took the first loss easily but they willed that win in the third and didn’t give up.
Just my opinion :thumbu:

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Have to disagree on a couple of your points. This team since being run by a top owner has changed. London is the New York Yankee team of the league. I hate how London has seemed to be on another level for so long and everyone trying to catch up.
Tullio in Oshawa runs the organization differently since he became owners. The players rave about him as an owner. They play extremely hard for him, coaches, fans. Pride of once a General always a General is real.
Sure are there some fans on social media that can be a little over the top and rub others the wrong way, you bet. But they don’t represent the entire organization. This teams fans travel to see their team in every building. Even the Memorial Cup in 2015 had probably 6000 fans drive 8 hours to see them win.
Oshawa with a great owner and solid GM and arena and fan base has finally in last ten years become a place players desire to play.

London will always be the standard leader and I’m not a fan of the Hunters but Oshawa has moved into the discussion of being a strong organization to play in.

Sudbury has a really good team and for sure if you had Pekka still , you would be top team in league. We miss Keyser from last year too but I think our Gm found a pretty good goalie in Maclean from Owen Sound who was available.
Oshawa could have shut it down and took the first loss easily but they willed that win in the third and didn’t give up.
Just my opinion :thumbu:

MacLean is ok. He did not stop any good shots last night either. Essentially a pass from far left point to right lower corner...traffic, yes. A good shot alone on the goalie coming in from the point on PP...just got beat. A wicked wrist shot from near outside hash of face off circle over the shoulder... not good. A rebound/loose puck from 18 inches that MacLean looked to have squared off was chipped in while he made himself small in an attempt to cover the puck...again not good, a cheapie for the first goal of the game.

Momentum changed when the 4-0 goal was offside. Gens got some life. The wolves panicked. At that point the Gens top two lines were too much for the defensively lacking D and G unsure of himself even though stopping first 20 shots of the game.

Last edited:

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018

Those were not "UPL type game savers" they were standard saves on easy shots that any OHL goalie should make. I thought the Wolves played a good game overall, not sure how people can say otherwise. Of course there are things they can work on and it ended badly, but it's still early on the season and there are definitely positives you can take from the game. People can over-analyze all they want, but the bottom line is, team played well enough to be in a great position to win. All he had to do was make a couple simple saves down the stretch and they had it, but he fell apart instead. It is what it is. Time to move on to the next one, but I see that game as a positive even if I'm in the minority. Oshawa are a very good team and a contender, and Sudbury showed they can be every bit as good.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Those were not "UPL type game savers" they were standard saves on easy shots that any OHL goalie should make. I thought the Wolves played a good game overall, not sure how people can say otherwise. Of course there are things they can work on and it ended badly, but it's still early on the season and there are definitely positives you can take from the game. People can over-analyze all they want, but the bottom line is, team played well enough to be in a great position to win. All he had to do was make a couple simple saves down the stretch and they had it, but he fell apart instead. It is what it is. Time to move on to the next one, but I see that game as a positive even if I'm in the minority. Oshawa are a very good team and a contender, and Sudbury showed they can be every bit as good.

Wolves played like a contender on home ice until disallowed off-side goal; then, completely collapsed when Gens applied pressure. Positives, sure. But negatives too; and not just goal tending. None of Stratis, Phillips, Ross, Loponen can be relied on to close out a game without the addition of a 19-20 yr old calming presence.
Thompson is not that guy for this season, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad