Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
MacLean is ok. He did not stop any good shots last night either. Essentially a pass from far left point to right lower corner...traffic, yes. A good shot alone on the goalie coming in from the point on PP...just got beat. A wicked wrist shot from near outside hash of face off circle over the shoulder... not good. A rebound/loose puck from 18 inches that MacLean looked to have squared off was chipped in while he made himself small in an attempt to cover the puck...again not good, a cheapie for the first goal of the game.

Momentum changed when the 4-0 goal was offside. Gens got some life. The wolves panicked. At that point the Gens top two lines were too much for the defensively lacking D and G unsure of himself even though stopping first 20 shots of the game.

They never panicked. Their goaltending was atrocious

Reactions: MGOBlue

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I have stated it before. Strengthen our defensive core with a solid left handed defender. It will ease some of the immaturity and soft play back there. Purboo was a concern coming in from the Bay with limited OHL games as a veteran. I know there isn't a lot of options out there but this was the concern back in May. And drafting a goalie in the Import draft was easily predicted but he didn't show. One thing is certain this team will not have the confidence in their goaltending and it might lead to a less inspired effort as seen tonight. Teams already know if you are behind vs Sudbury don't give up because their goalies will not make the big saves to preserve a victory.

It will be very interesting to see how our GM addresses this issue. I have personally seen enough and you cannot wait for Purboo to improve it won't happen. He has some major deficiencies in his game which cannot be fixed at this juncture of his OHL career. Time to move on from him as soon as possible. I don't buy the excuse the Sudbury Star article on the goaltending. Its like it was written that we know we are going to lose games because of goaltending.

Now aside from our goalie problems what about the horrible penalties taken at very bad times in this game. Hooking penalties are lazy penalties. You lose a battle you get back into the play not hook the player in the offensive zone. It horrible hockey sense. It hurts your team and its selfish. Carson had a horrendous game and his give away in the offensive zone was deadly especially when everyone is on the rush. Our face-offs in the defensive zone on the PK was not good and it cost us.

Not to take anything away from Oshawa because you have to be a good team to come back as they did and still work for the full 60 even when they were down late in the game.

WJ

A big concern is that these turnovers and lazy penalties are being taken by the 19 and 20 year old veterans who definitely know better

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Completely disagree. 3-0 with 11+ min to go and lose, that is a monumental collapse that happens only a few times per season league wide. Pressure that the defense & goalie in particular could not handle. A partial breakaway, 2 on 1, 3 PPG allowed in 8 min.!
That’s not calm, cool, collected play.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Completely disagree. 3-0 with 11+ min to go and lose, that is a monumental collapse that happens only a few times per season league wide. Pressure that the defense & goalie in particular could not handle. A partial breakaway, 2 on 1, 3 PPG allowed in 8 min.!
That’s not calm, cool, collected play.

Here's a question for you, if wolves had better goaltending last night they win or lose?

Pick one

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
LOL

Your halarious! How I knew you would say that!

You need to be honest with yourself my friend. Take good care.

Being completely honest. You can choose not to single out your favourite scapegoat as the reason the wolves blew a 3-0 lead with 5/6 of the game played. There was not a D that could handle the pressure of the determined Gens forwards, right?

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Being completely honest. You can choose not to single out your favourite scapegoat as the reason the wolves blew a 3-0 lead with 5/6 of the game played. There was not a D that could handle the pressure of the determined Gens forwards, right?

There was no pressure.

Pp goals and the ability to make a timely stop.

Next question, would Purpoo be the starting goaltender on your team?

Pick one

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There was no pressure.

Pp goals and the ability to make a timely stop.

Next question, would Purpoo be the starting goaltender on your team?

Pick one

Ok, no pressure felt by the D. It was Purboo that caused the D to cough up the puck at the opposition blue line creating a partial break away first Gens goal up 3-0 with 11 min. remaining. Purboo was the reason the Gens scored on a 2 on 1 starting in the Gens end. One D back on PK protecting a lead is ok. It was Purboo that caused a D to hook in the opposition zone, a D to trip/hook behind his own goal line, a D to shoot the puck over the glass, and almost certainly Purboo was the reason for too many men.
Pressure felt does not cause penalties, poor goaltending does I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyHell

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Ok, no pressure felt by the D. It was Purboo that caused the D to cough up the puck at the opposition blue line creating a partial break away first Gens goal up 3-0 with 11 min. remaining. Purboo was the reason the Gens scored on a 2 on 1 starting in the Gens end. One D back on PK protecting a lead is ok. It was Purboo that caused a D to hook in the opposition zone, a D to trip/hook behind his own goal line, a D to shoot the puck over the glass, and almost certainly Purboo was the reason for too many men.
Pressure felt does not cause penalties, poor goaltending does I guess

Epic fail. You didn't answer the question.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'm hearing a little rumbling that UPL could possibly return to the Wolves, I can't see it. But apparently he has not returned from surgery, when he does return, they might not throw him in AHL right way, and send him to play games in the OHL. Again, this is a rumour, just an interesting one to share on the board.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I'm hearing a little rumbling that UPL could possibly return to the Wolves, I can't see it. But apparently he has not returned from surgery, when he does return, they might not throw him in AHL right way, and send him to play games in the OHL. Again, this is a rumour, just an interesting one to share on the board.
I’ve heard the same from my source but had been weary of posting it cause I didn’t want to get called out if wrong. Source said UPL may very well be back here this season or Dichow *may* end up over here at some point but that ones less likely then UPL. Sounds to me like this UPL thing has some serious smoke to it and if so... WOW. However would mean we’d have to move an OA which makes it seem less likely to me.

Reactions: cub

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can an NHL/AHL club loan an OA to his former junior team, then recall that player for more than a emergency call up?
If so, this rumour has some merit. Otherwise it would be tough to send a player back to a level that he completely dominated.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I’ve heard the same from my source but had been weary of posting it cause I didn’t want to get called out if wrong. Source said UPL may very well be back here this season or Dichow *may* end up over here at some point but that ones less likely then UPL. Sounds to me like this UPL thing has some serious smoke to it and if so... WOW. However would mean we’d have to move an OA which makes it seem less likely to me.
Are you kidding man? We would move an OA without a second thought if UPL came back.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Can an NHL/AHL club loan an OA to his former junior team, then recall that player for more than a emergency call up?
If so, this rumour has some merit. Otherwise it would be tough to send a player back to a level that he completely dominated.

No

Reactions: dirty12

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If he comes back do we completely load up?
Like deal away whatever we need to grab the top guys on the market to take a monster run a la Guelph.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

MacLean stopped 31/35 which is far from “atrocious” lol. Also, his .911 save % this season is 4th in the OHL among goalies playing 5 games. And the only ones ahead of him are Andree/Jones/Popovich, who I think are clearly the 3 best goalies in the league. Again, “atrocious” is just trying to act like you’re not the only one with goaltending problems lol. MacLean has been a top 5 goalie in the whole league thus far

cub

Apr 11, 2012
MacLean stopped 31/35 which is far from “atrocious” lol. Also, his .911 save % this season is 4th in the OHL among goalies playing 5 games. And the only ones ahead of him are Andree/Jones/Popovich, who I think are clearly the 3 best goalies in the league. Again, “atrocious” is just trying to act like you’re not the only one with goaltending problems lol. MacLean has been a top 5 goalie in the whole league thus far

he was talking about Purboo.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

Ask before you speak. I was referring to the wolves. Take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->