Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I am not a real Wolves follower so I really don’t know this answer but what does next season look like? I really think that you will see Byfield back. Even though all of his skills and physical attributes will have him drafted high I think his game still needs developed. No disrespect to his teammates but unlike say a Lafrieniere he needs true elite talent around him to shine IMO in what I have seen of him? His WJC sadly was a bit of a bust however in his defence he was never seen as a key piece and as such saw scraps of ice time. If he returns next year to the WJC totally different story. Good Luck the rest of the way.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am not a real Wolves follower so I really don’t know this answer but what does next season look like? I really think that you will see Byfield back. Even though all of his skills and physical attributes will have him drafted high I think his game still needs developed. No disrespect to his teammates but unlike say a Lafrieniere he needs true elite talent around him to shine IMO in what I have seen of him? His WJC sadly was a bit of a bust however in his defence he was never seen as a key piece and as such saw scraps of ice time. If he returns next year to the WJC totally different story. Good Luck the rest of the way.

the defence and goaltending will be essentially the same just one season more experienced; so, I think the wolves can be mediocre despite graduating 5 of the top 6-7 forwards. I don’t see Byfield (top 3 pick in supposed loaded draft) returning.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Could not agree more however I do think Hunter saw him as a key piece as he started out on the second line. Sadly the Russian game where he went -4 I think sealed his fate. Byfield seemed to lack the confidence with the puck to do what he does best and that is quite understandable given his age. Being a short tournament, the coaching staff were not afforded the time to try and build his confidence with regards to ice time. That said, we won gold and that was the goal. The Q will be back next tournament in Canada and surely will be a driving force towards a repeat. The experience alone was a plus and I don't think his draft rankings were effected in any way. He should go second if he does not falter the rest of the way.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Could not agree more however I do think Hunter saw him as a key piece as he started out on the second line. Sadly the Russian game where he went -4 I think sealed his fate. Byfield seemed to lack the confidence with the puck to do what he does best and that is quite understandable given his age. Being a short tournament, the coaching staff were not afforded the time to try and build his confidence with regards to ice time. That said, we won gold and that was the goal. The Q will be back next tournament in Canada and surely will be a driving force towards a repeat. The experience alone was a plus and I don't think his draft rankings were effected in any way. He should go second if he does not falter the rest of the way.
Understanding the NHL is a younger mans league now adays do you see him sticking in the NHL though? Agreed recently the 1-6 picks or so normally stay but at this point what I have seen of him he really looks like he needs another season in the OHL. Of course AHL is not an option for him being drafted from the OHL. Certainly who picks him will be a factor as well. Curious on your thoughts and those who have seen play more then myself?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At his best, Levin has elevated Byfield’s play. At times, the wolves’ rugged wingers have created room for Byfield to work. Mostly though, at 17 Byfield is able to carry the wolves. At 6’4” 215 lbs with 31 goals in 38 games and #3 in pts/game there will be nothing left for Byfield to gain from another OHL season. Dominating both ends of the ice will just be easier. He will not improve as a distributor at this level because he can just take it to the net nearly at will now.

Reactions: djscooter

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
With the possible exception of the GM, I don’t think anyone believes the GM built a winner. However, there are some that will not in any way fault the GM for bungling (his) tank/rebuild and (his) target year to contend.
I agree..Barclay Branch would get ripped on this thread and yet Flint seems to be doing very well. I keep hearing players do not want to report..how is this still in the conversation? How do you have the best goalie in the world last year and one of the top junior players in the world this year and still can't go all in..that my friends is mis-management. I dont believe for one second the coaching staff was asking for a LW trade at the deadline. This is nothing about any players this is about addressing the need. People are acting like the goalie situation wasn't glaring and just happened..why waste any picks on Purboo..use whatever you can for D,goalie RW. Those deals needed to be in play before the deadline ..that is for sure....I know here come the armchair comments...

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolves need to find some consistency in their play. Losing to North Bay and to Guelph at home the last two games isn’t confidence boosting. And some players need to play hard every game not every second or third game. You would figure with the new additions and running a full roster the team would start building a winning streak towards the playoffs. Don’t look back right now but Mississauga, Barrie are nipping away at their 2nd spot in the Eastern Conference. Tomorrow’s game is huge and I’m not sure the Wolves can beat them the way they have been playing. This team is not even close to what they were after the deadline last year at this point. Hope they find it in them to start playing for each other, cause they are not at the moment.

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
At his best, Levin has elevated Byfield’s play. At times, the wolves’ rugged wingers have created room for Byfield to work. Mostly though, at 17 Byfield is able to carry the wolves. At 6’4” 215 lbs with 31 goals in 38 games and #3 in pts/game there will be nothing left for Byfield to gain from another OHL season. Dominating both ends of the ice will just be easier. He will not improve as a distributor at this level because he can just take it to the net nearly at will now.
I just don't see that same Byfield domination against bigger and stronger teams outside the weakest division in the league. If he was playing in the west and putting up the same numbers playing with and against better players I would be more convinced that the jump to the next level was a given. He without doubt will be a franchise player in the NHL however, will another year in junior or going directly to the show be in the quickest and in the best interest of the player. I guess it all comes down to who drafts him, how deep their farm is and how he competes with the games he is allowed to play before having to be returned to his former club. Everyone has an opinion however people I have spoke to who have seen him play in their barns seem to say the same thing, maybe he did not have his best game. The guys at the next level get paid the big bucks to make those kind of decisions however we are still entitled to our own which should not be taken as questioning how great he really is. I am his biggest fan and I just want what is best for him and I don't want to see him rushed and put in a position he may not be ready for.

Reactions: justawolfan

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I just don't see that same Byfield domination against bigger and stronger teams outside the weakest division in the league. If he was playing in the west and putting up the same numbers playing with and against better players I would be more convinced that the jump to the next level was a given.

By my quick math vs the Western Conference
15gp 9g 18a

1.8PPG, Sounds like he's dominant against the west as well as the east?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I agree..Barclay Branch would get ripped on this thread and yet Flint seems to be doing very well. I keep hearing players do not want to report..how is this still in the conversation? How do you have the best goalie in the world last year and one of the top junior players in the world this year and still can't go all in..that my friends is mis-management. I dont believe for one second the coaching staff was asking for a LW trade at the deadline. This is nothing about any players this is about addressing the need. People are acting like the goalie situation wasn't glaring and just happened..why waste any picks on Purboo..use whatever you can for D,goalie RW. Those deals needed to be in play before the deadline ..that is for sure....I know here come the armchair comments...

My god...I can't believe we STILL have Barclay Branch apologists here. He is absolutely terrible. I don't know what it will take for the Branch lovers to admit they were wrong.

Flint are NOT doing as "well" as some of you may think. Flint are having a decent season with a ton of 19 year olds on their roster. They are graduating between 11-13 players, that is significant. And despite that, they are basically locked into a first round matchup where they will certainly be underdogs. They might win in the first round, but that'll most likely be it for them unless you're foolish enough to believe they are a real contender in the west. Then next year, they'll be right back down to near the bottom of the West. Oh, and the foundation of this team, the drafts that produced the bulk of these players pre-date Barclay Branch.

That is not at all the sign of a competent GM. Move on, admit it. Barclay Branch is an absolute joke of an executive.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
The owner is the city of Sudbury. There seems to be some misconception that Dario Zulich is the owner. The tax payers of the city will own the rink.

Who owned the land prior to the decision being made? Which company is bidding on the construction project? The city owns the land now because Zürich sold it to them for a pittance

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
So what agent?...what team? what was the deal that they were offering? Im sure agents call various teams all the time.
Please be specific in your comment...Thanks in advance

Agents call teams all the time and they have clients on various teams. This is standard.

The goalies available were not improvements on what they had or would have taken an overpay to get them. Daws was the only goalie thought to be available that might have made a difference but an overpay was the only way Guelph was trading him. I would guess based on the trades made that Papineau thinks no one is beating Ottawa this year but that conference finals are within reach.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
My god...I can't believe we STILL have Barclay Branch apologists here. He is absolutely terrible. I don't know what it will take for the Branch lovers to admit they were wrong.

Flint are NOT doing as "well" as some of you may think. Flint are having a decent season with a ton of 19 year olds on their roster. They are graduating between 11-13 players, that is significant. And despite that, they are basically locked into a first round matchup where they will certainly be underdogs. They might win in the first round, but that'll most likely be it for them unless you're foolish enough to believe they are a real contender in the west. Then next year, they'll be right back down to near the bottom of the West. Oh, and the foundation of this team, the drafts that produced the bulk of these players pre-date Barclay Branch.

That is not at all the sign of a competent GM. Move on, admit it. Barclay Branch is an absolute joke of an executive.
My point with Barclay Branch is he was ripped on this board. I at times was someone who questioned him but now when I question this management I get ripped. Your arguement with Flint having older players pretty much is the point. You can't challenge for a championship if you don't go all in. Going all in means exactly that. It is a gamble. It is done with good 19 year olds.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Agents call teams all the time and they have clients on various teams. This is standard.

The goalies available were not improvements on what they had or would have taken an overpay to get them. Daws was the only goalie thought to be available that might have made a difference but an overpay was the only way Guelph was trading him. I would guess based on the trades made that Papineau thinks no one is beating Ottawa this year but that conference finals are within reach.
So why not go for a defenseman or RW? Would that not have made more of an impact for this team?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
So why not go for a defenseman or RW? Would that not have made more of an impact for this team?
Because the Wolves will always be mediocre. The management will always straddle the fence when deciding which way to go year after year! It has always been the way in Sudbury!

If you go for it you don’t make deals last year and save your pics and build for this year.

Kitchener picked up a goalie, and Hawel early in the season for decent prices and that is after they made the decision last season not to deal Yantis, and Merilas. Then they make the splash to get Noel and Wale this after firing their coach in late November. And if you recall they picked up Stepian from Saginaw who became a good player that was used in a deadline deal to get Noel. Remember it was only two seasons ago Kitchener was there competing with Stanley, and company. Some teams just know how the cycle works and Sudbury still hasn’t been able to figure it out even when you have K. Mackenzie a guy that has been around since Dipietro. This organization has no plan no does never will as long we don’t have the right hockey people in place. And you can’t blame being a Northern Ontario team as an excuse because the Soo and North Bay has had more playoff runs than Sudbury in the last decade. So as a season ticket holder I don’t hold my breath anymore. This maybe my last season. I will buy at the gate when I want to go. It’s just too painful to watch the shenanigans year in year out. And many people have not come back to the arena as a season ticket holder over the years. The loyal pac is slowly disappearing.

And for the last time I will say this season Papineau waited too long to make moves. Knowing Byfield being here in his second season and may be his last and the vets you had returning he needed to start in the offseason to add to it. We knew what kind of players we had and if any position needed to be improved on then you do it. If defence was too young then you find a vet to provide leadership! If goaltending was a question mark then you ensure you have it secured with someone with years of experience even though you gambled with your number one import pick being a goalie reporting. Just too many mistakes made and people in this forum said to trust Papineau that he would make deals. Well Chenier, Pekar and Jacklin are not the three guys that would put this team over the top to win a second round or possibly even a first! Let many in OHL circles scratching their heads why make a sideway move and give up 5 picks for an import player. I really think the players may feel the same way as some fans do and hence the way they are playing. I think this team is capable of more but every team is fighting for position and seem to have elevated their game. Sudbury along with the Pete’s seem to be trending the wrong way after the deadline. Is it coaching? Or everything I mentioned above. Who knows. But I do know the best decision Sudbury Wolves have made was to not include the first two playoff games with season ticket packages. I think we can all understand why!

WJ

Reactions: hockieguy

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
My point with Barclay Branch is he was ripped on this board. I at times was someone who questioned him but now when I question this management I get ripped. Your arguement with Flint having older players pretty much is the point. You can't challenge for a championship if you don't go all in. Going all in means exactly that. It is a gamble. It is done with good 19 year olds.

It's fine to criticize Papineau and co. since the team was expected to do better than we've seen so far this season, but to compare him to Branch, who by every objective way of looking at things, might be the worst OHL GM we've ever seen, is crazy.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

that is not accurate. Flint will certainly graduate Dellandrea and three OAs. Four 2000 born will no doubt be back in the OHL and there is a reasonable chance that Busby & Tucker are returned at some point next season as well.
Near the bottom next season? On top of some very good OAs, the firebirds return Kolyachonok, Oksentyuk, Keppen, Morgan, Cavallin, Gretz, & Pierce as 19 yr olds.
The players brought in by Branch and on the current roster are Roberts, Bangs (retired concussions), McCourt, Kolyachonok, Pierce, Morgan, Oksentyuk, Lalonde, Popovich, Tucker, Piercy, Yule as well as all the signed ‘02 & ‘03 born.

Reactions: HockeyHell

cub

Apr 11, 2012
All the experts are out hard posting today, who would have guessed we lost yesterday. All these Hindsight Managers please put in your resume, obviously so knowledgeable. Some of you experts, please stop writing a novel when you post, it's not even worth the read.

Reactions: Wisdom

cub

Apr 11, 2012
It's fine to criticize Papineau and co. since the team was expected to do better than we've seen so far this season, but to compare him to Branch, who by every objective way of looking at things, might be the worst OHL GM we've ever seen, is crazy.

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: plus Flint is in cahoots with Guelph and London. BB is not pulling trigger on deals, it's Joe Stefan, but so many here wouldn't know that.

Reactions: WaW

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Interesting poll on the OHL website asking which current second place team is likely to finish first in their division. Currently 64% are picking Mississauga as that team. Statement game tomorrow and the Wolves aren’t exactly going in on a roll.

Reactions: yalbmert25

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
All the experts are out hard posting today, who would have guessed we lost yesterday. All these Hindsight Managers please put in your resume, obviously so knowledgeable. Some of you experts, please stop writing a novel when you post, it's not even worth the read.
I hear ya. Keep rehashing the same topics over and over and over again. Somehow hoping Dario will give them a call

Reactions: Wisdom

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: plus Flint is in cahoots with Guelph and London. BB is not pulling trigger on deals, it's Joe Stefan, but so many here wouldn't know that.

cahoots, oh no! :) And cub says not many would know the assistant makes the trades in Flint which makes sense because only cub would believe that the assistant has final say over GM/VP of hockey operations.
It really is unfortunate that Papineau has so far been unable to forge working relationships with other GMs.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Hindsight Manager Master put in your resume in, you have a great relationship with BB and other managers. Papineau is three years into his job, and doing great. I'm not going continue to debate this, because he has been criticized from the get go when started job. Took a 17 Win team in his first year to a 43 win team in second year. Currently in first place in division, but not good enough for many posters, this makes me laugh, like the guy with the painted face, red nose and oversize polka dotted tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad