Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
So which one of you guys were in the room when the trade was on. Do you know first hand that the wolves tried or didn't try to improve goaltending. Do you know what teams would or would not do deals with Sudbury. Your comments would carry so much more weigh if you can confirm your claims that management sat around and did nothing. You complain when a trade is made...you complain when a trade isn't made. Guelph played well from what I saw and Sudbury was having a bad game. A few more bounces going the wolves way and the game would have been a lot closer. Quit whining.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
So which one of you guys were in the room when the trade was on. Do you know first hand that the wolves tried or didn't try to improve goaltending. Do you know what teams would or would not do deals with Sudbury. Your comments would carry so much more weigh if you can confirm your claims that management sat around and did nothing. You complain when a trade is made...you complain when a trade isn't made. Guelph played well from what I saw and Sudbury was having a bad game. A few more bounces going the wolves way and the game would have been a lot closer. Quit whining.

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I can tell you for free, Sudbury was contacted by an agent about their goaltending and was told they were standing pat with the guys they had.
It won't matter what you say...there are a select group on here who cannot handle the truth. You either were committed to going all in or you were not. I believe this GM thinks he has built a winner. Unfortunately he and a couple on this board maybe the only ones. I am still holding out for a deep play off run only because we the fans deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
I can tell you for free, Sudbury was contacted by an agent about their goaltending and was told they were standing pat with the guys they had.
So what agent?...what team? what was the deal that they were offering? Im sure agents call various teams all the time.
Please be specific in your comment...Thanks in advance

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
So what agent?...what team? what was the deal that they were offering? Im sure agents call various teams all the time.
So you think people should get on here and reveal information about current team players or their agents so you can feel confident in your opinion that this management team did all they could with the options that were out there?? Oh ok..

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
As many posters like to say lets just focus on what was on the ice. Besides the glaringly obvious problems that were not addressed at the trade deadline, I thought that the Gilhula, Robinson and Hutchison line were able to expose the lack of depth in the third and fourth line on Guelph's team. Unfortunately Gogolev,Hillis and Dawes elevated their game as the game went on which exposed our weaknesses. Shout out to Roach who played well for Guelph. Was he a Sudbury prospect at one time?

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
The delay is some downtown people don't want to accept that the city council turned down a proposed downtown location first before they voted to accept the owners preferred location so they have thrown up every road block to construction that they can because they want to feel important and get their names in the paper. This should end in May when the injunctions are ruled to be unfounded and construction can begin.

The owner is the city of Sudbury. There seems to be some misconception that Dario Zulich is the owner. The tax payers of the city will own the rink.

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
Yes. Do you like the truth or something that someone throws out there in hopes that it sticks?

Last edited:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

Wisdom, the Wolves did contact teams looking for a goalie. Unfortunately, with the goalies that were available, the Wolves did not have the assets to make a deal. There wasn't a lack of trying, this was more a "price" issue and the Wolves did not have the right number of picks and players to make a deal. It is as simple as that.

The trade deadline is gone. This is the Sudbury Wolves for the rest of the year. I stated it before that neither of the trades made this team any better. This may not be the situation closer to the playoffs, but at the moment, they are close to a .500 team, and that is not nearly enough to win anything beyond 1 or 2 rounds. That is reality.....

Reactions: jeepguy

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

He will have nothing to say, or make something up. In other words. he knows nothing.

If the wolves were unbeaten since the trade, scoring goals, tenders strong between the pipes, you wouldn't be hearing a peep.

Reactions: Wisdom

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Failed to see the humour

he’s clearly not a wolves fan if he thinks it’s funny that the GM is losing his mind in his box when the team is losing. I guess he would want Papineau to be smiling and laughing while the team is losing.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
he’s clearly not a wolves fan if he thinks it’s funny that the GM is losing his mind in his box when the team is losing. I guess he would want Papineau to be smiling and laughing while the team is losing.
Oh I know what he was doing. He was poking fun. Got a kick out of him blowing a gasket. Was just letting home know, I didn't find it funny.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Wisdom, the Wolves did contact teams looking for a goalie. Unfortunately, with the goalies that were available, the Wolves did not have the assets to make a deal. There wasn't a lack of trying, this was more a "price" issue and the Wolves did not have the right number of picks and players to make a deal. It is as simple as that.

The trade deadline is gone. This is the Sudbury Wolves for the rest of the year. I stated it before that neither of the trades made this team any better. This may not be the situation closer to the playoffs, but at the moment, they are close to a .500 team, and that is not nearly enough to win anything beyond 1 or 2 rounds. That is reality.....

that’s contradicting to what the other poster that said we were standing pat with the guys they had.

on another note, if we didn’t have the draft picks required to upgrade the goaltending situation then Paps prolly made the right decision.

We still have 3 2nd, 2 3rd, 7 4th right now.
Plus the 3rd we gave up for Chenier and the 2 2nd and 3rd for Pekar. Plus all the 5-8 draft picks we have.

if that isn’t enough for DAWES I’m Darn happy we didn’t make that deal!! if you think 5 2nd and 4 3rds isn’t enough picks your drinking some serious anti kool-aid!
Thank god we didn’t give all those picks for a tender!!

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I believe the Wolves were destined for a second round departure come playoff time prior to the trade deadline with what they had and who they would likely face the Petes. Any thought of going all in, whatever that means, with the assets they were willing to move I don't think would have changed that scenario. Paps priority was winning the conference, with the pieces he added this is realistically all that could be achieved considering the moves other teams made within the division. Byfield is a gem however he alone leading this team to the promised land is wishful thinking. He is just not quite there yet and his learning curve is still just that. Secondary players have to step up and we have seen this just not on a regular basis's. Gilhula has really advanced his compete level and he is being rewarded for it. Goal tending has improved somewhat but how much more can they is the question. Paps I believe had faith that his team had the ability to give more and this was indicative on how aggressively he approached the trade deadline. Just a thought.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He will have nothing to say, or make something up. In other words. he knows nothing.

If the wolves were unbeaten since the trade, scoring goals, tenders strong between the pipes, you wouldn't be hearing a peep.

but the wolves are not even consistently beating teams equal or below them in the standings after ‘adding’ at the deadline.

that’s contradicting to what the other poster that said we were standing pat with the guys they had.

on another note, if we didn’t have the draft picks required to upgrade the goaltending situation then Paps prolly made the right decision.

We still have 3 2nd, 2 3rd, 7 4th right now.
Plus the 3rd we gave up for Chenier and the 2 2nd and 3rd for Pekar. Plus all the 5-8 draft picks we have.

if that isn’t enough for DAWES I’m Darn happy we didn’t make that deal!! if you think 5 2nd and 4 3rds isn’t enough picks your drinking some serious anti kool-aid!
Thank god we didn’t give all those picks for a tender!!

There is a difference between throwing every available asset at a player and a GM that is willing and able to agree on an acceptable price to fill team needs. Papineau was willing to give up what might be a new high for a rental import; but unable to acquire an OA D or RW? Those were needs. Another LW to upgrade the 8 left shot forwards that are team’s best forwards was not at all a need.

Reactions: hockieguy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I believe the Wolves were destined for a second round departure come playoff time prior to the trade deadline with what they had and who they would likely face the Petes. Any thought of going all in, whatever that means, with the assets they were willing to move I don't think would have changed that scenario. Paps priority was winning the conference, with the pieces he added this is realistically all that could be achieved considering the moves other teams made within the division. Byfield is a gem however he alone leading this team to the promised land is wishful thinking. He is just not quite there yet and his learning curve is still just that. Secondary players have to step up and we have seen this just not on a regular basis's. Gilhula has really advanced his compete level and he is being rewarded for it. Goal tending has improved somewhat but how much more can they is the question. Paps I believe had faith that his team had the ability to give more and this was indicative on how aggressively he approached the trade deadline. Just a thought.

Unless the GM was ignorant of the team’s short comings, I call bull****! Adding an OA and decent 19 yr old RW and D instead of Chenier, (along with Pekar) would have been a massive upgrade to wolves and more improvement than any other wannabe contender at the deadline. There is no better time to be aggressive than when the 2-seed is there for the taking.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockieguy

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It won't matter what you say...there are a select group on here who cannot handle the truth. You either were committed to going all in or you were not. I believe this GM thinks he has built a winner. Unfortunately he and a couple on this board maybe the only ones. I am still holding out for a deep play off run only because we the fans deserve it.

With the possible exception of the GM, I don’t think anyone believes the GM built a winner. However, there are some that will not in any way fault the GM for bungling (his) tank/rebuild and (his) target year to contend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad