Brock Boeser out indefinitely with blood-clotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
“A blood clotting issue” does not necessarily mean he has blood clots. It could be exact opposite issue called ITP where your blood doesn’t clot because of low blood platelets.

Edit: I retract my statement. Someone came out and specifically said blood clot. I was only basing my thought on the initial report.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
And that's not adding the addition risk from things like blood doping, steroids, or other performance enhancing efforts (which to be clear, I am NOT suggesting to be the case here, but is a reality across sports of all kind at the elite level).

not pointing fingers here but epo is incredibly common in elite athletes and also a contributing factor in blood clots

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
“A blood clotting issue” does not necessarily mean he has blood clots. It could be exact opposite issue called ITP where your blood doesn’t clot because of low blood platelets.

That’s what I was wondering at first as well, but it seems confirmed it was a blood clot. I looked up past players who’ve had clots and they all seem to use similar “blood clotting issue” language. Not sure if there’s a specific reason for that instead of saying the player has a blood clot.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
That really sucks he couldn't play.

I wanted Oilers to win - but doesn't matter, Boeser has been tremendous in these playoffs and he earned the right to play game 7. It's gotta really, really suck when you have to sit on the sidelines like that last minute.

You never want to see a key play injured in decision making games like that.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not saying it’s the jab, but is it possible blood clotting is linked to injuries and travel?

Not making any excuses here for Boeser or Vancouver but overall in general for the health of these players maybe something needs to be tweaked in terms of scheduling and how many games they play in a season plus the travel in the playoffs.

Something to consider the last thing we want is something to go undiagnosed leading to a player retiring and or death.

More hockey players being diagnosed with blood clots than ever

Reactions: EichHart

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not saying it’s the jab, but is it possible blood clotting is linked to injuries and travel?

Not making any excuses here for Boeser or Vancouver but overall in general for the health of these players maybe something needs to be tweaked in terms of scheduling and how many games they play in a season plus the travel in the playoffs.

Something to consider the last thing we want is something to go undiagnosed leading to a player retiring and or death.

At least this article came out in 2015. I wonder if Boeser blocked a shot or injured his legs during thw playoffs which caused this.

Reactions: crazychimp

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
At least this article came out in 2015. I wonder if Boeser blocked a shot or injured his legs during thw playoffs which caused this.
Could be, I wonder what the link actually is because goalies are getting them too. Either way it is scary and more research should be done.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Worst possible timing, hope he has a great recovery, has turned into a great 2-way player, 50 next season!

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
lots of athletes like Venus Williams and Chris Bosh have recovered from provoked blood clots. taking an impact and flying a lot have impacts on this.

I discovered i had a rare blood disorder at age 40 when my body randomly started creating blood clots that traveled through my leg (deep vein thombrasis) and heart and then into my lungs (pulmonary embolism). this was an unprovoked clotting.

if Boeser has the former, he should conceivably recover fine. If he has something like i have (factor V leiden), he would have to remain on blood thinners for life (like me) and he would be not able to play a contact sport like hockey.

I'm hoping he had some provoked clotting and that he will be fine in time.

• Wow
Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Hate to say it but I think EPO usage and PED usage is the cause for some of these cases (not singling out any one person).

Hockey players were blocking shots and flying all the time in the 90s and 2000s too, it seems awfully sus that the rate of clots have increased a lot in just the last 10 years.

I think all of Miami Heat's big three (LeBron, Wade, Bosh) were doping (in LeBron's case continue to), Bosh just developed blood clots because of it.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hate to say it but I think EPO usage and PED usage is the cause for some of these cases (not singling out any one person).

Hockey players were blocking shots and flying all the time in the 90s and 2000s too, it seems awfully sus that the rate of clots have increased a lot in just the last 10 years.

I think all of Miami Heat's big three (LeBron, Wade, Bosh) were doping (in LeBron's case continue to), Bosh just developed blood clots because of it.
Also true the amount of damage a player takes in a sport like hockey plus the travel and the intensity of the playoffs I would say a majority of them have to be using something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad