Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Just giving thoughts to the season thus far. Honestly, I'm lost for words after tonight's results. I'm trying to stay optimistic but this team makes it hard. This team is seriously flawed. The inability for players on this team to complete tasks that are assigned. Who's at fault? Is it hockey IQ, and or the players not good enough to carry out the game plan, or both. Prior to tonight, you've playing better of late, your facing a top team, at home, your rested, and at one point you trail 5-0 on home ice. Excuseable. I for one will be listening intently to the season ending press conference if they decide to have one this season. I believe they had one last season if my memory serves me correct.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Well Ross and Phillips were just as awful tonight! I think Samuelsson is our best defender in the team at this point. And I believe you thought he wasn’t going to last pass Christmas. Tonight’s loss pinned on a lack of goaltending and Ross and Phillips terrible showing. Otherwise I thought the rest of team showed some resilience. That Saginaw team is just too deep offensively!

WJ
Yes i sure did think he was gone by Christmas. And I've also made mention of his turnaround. I'm sure you've seen that post as well Mr. intuitive. However if Adam is your best dman, that's not a good thing. Think about it. Still waiting on your boy Butler to get a call up. Bedtime...

Reactions: hockieguy

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Not my boy
Yes i sure did think he was gone by Christmas. And I've also made mention of his turnaround. I'm sure you've seen that post as well Mr. intuitive. However if Adam is your best dman, that's not a good thing. Think about it. Still waiting on your boy Butler to get a call up. Bedtime...

Not my boy! Maybe Papineau and the coach/scout that wasted a pick on him. I couldn’t care two craps if he plays here ever. He’s an obvious bust. But then again will only be 18 next season. Same age as Manikis and Robinson in their first year with the Wolves!

WJ

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Not my boy

Not my boy! Maybe Papineau and the coach/scout that wasted a pick on him. I couldn’t care two craps if he plays here ever. He’s an obvious bust. But then again will only be 18 next season. Same age as Manikis and Robinson in their first year with the Wolves!

WJ

:punk:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Just giving thoughts to the season thus far. Honestly, I'm lost for words after tonight's results. I'm trying to stay optimistic but this team makes it hard. This team is seriously flawed. The inability for players on this team to complete tasks that are assigned. Who's at fault? Is it hockey IQ, and or the players not good enough to carry out the game plan, or both. Prior to tonight, you've playing better of late, your facing a top team, at home, your rested, and at one point you trail 5-0 on home ice. Excuseable. I for one will be listening intently to the season ending press conference if they decide to have one this season. I believe they had one last season if my memory serves me correct.
Good post my friend. Not often can I sense your frustration. It is literally mind blowing that Saginaw scored 4 goals on like six shots. What did I say?! What have I been saying all year! Truly.embarrasing, ,hope Purboo has a plan B cause it ain’t going to be in hockey.I don’t want to pick on a kid but two things: This is an example of the abject failure of Papineau to secure a goalie that could at least keep the team in the game. Oh and number two, Giroux was like what a fourth round pick?? Pathetic. Unless you’re related to or sleeping with management or are an insider (which sadly greatly detracts from our ability to have any real meaningful discussion) you can’t but be disgusted by the results. It’s not lack of talent. They have no fawking goalie!! The defence is brutal, the try Hail Mary plays. Fire the lot of them.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Purboo- part of his issues is his inability to track pucks. On the first goal he didn't even react to the first shot until it hit the boards behind him. Then he was out of the position to face the shot off the boards which went in the net. Very unfortunate. But, he wasnt the only one that wasn't good tonight. This loss falls on everyone involved.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Goaltending was bad at both ends the difference being Saginaw did not even consider replacing Fraps with their ace when the Wolves were staging a come back. Would really like an update on Byfield. How long does a day to day wrist injury take to heal, especially when you are practicing with the team. Hope that is all it is.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Good post my friend. Not often can I sense your frustration. It is literally mind blowing that Saginaw scored 4 goals on like six shots. What did I say?! What have I been saying all year! Truly.embarrasing, ,hope Purboo has a plan B cause it ain’t going to be in hockey.I don’t want to pick on a kid but two things: This is an example of the abject failure of Papineau to secure a goalie that could at least keep the team in the game. Oh and number two, Giroux was like what a fourth round pick?? Pathetic. Unless you’re related to or sleeping with management or are an insider (which sadly greatly detracts from our ability to have any real meaningful discussion) you can’t but be disgusted by the results. It’s not lack of talent. They have no fawking goalie!! The defence is brutal, the try Hail Mary plays. Fire the lot of them.
This was an interesting game because this tested the "we will outscore" the opponent if can't stop pucks plan. Frankly, both teams look like that was the plan of attack. If Byfield had been in the line up, the out come might have swung in the Wolves favour. But maybe if the D in front of the goalie tightened things up just a little..that game could have turned around. Also if you are a forward on the ice for 7 goals then you have zero players trying to stop goals from being scored.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
what a shame BB never drafted this kid, when he had the chance. It would of helped with attendance.

Reactions: yalbmert25

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Not my boy

WJ

I saw Butler play late this fall and his skating has not improved enough to be an OHL player at this point.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

#5 has mobility issues. Any team with a little speed blows by him with very little trouble. I believe the 67s will expose that with their speed. The Wolves can score, that's never been a question, so this team is going to have to do what the Oilers did in the 80s and outscore the team they're playing with hopes the goalie can stop the one shot he has too to get the "W"...… The exclamation point is North of the redline...…

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Lol...

It’s so hard to be a fan of this team. I guess fans in Kingston and Sarnia can relate, as I think they’ve been just as bad historically. (Well, at least they have nice arenas to live their misery).

I wonder what it’s like to cheer for a team that is in the hunt every year, or at least has a decent go every couple seasons. We will never have nice things here.

Gotta laugh at fans of other teams that cry because their team isn’t the London Knights. Imagine if their team was the Sudbury Wolves...

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
the one that got away.

This one is 100% Barclay Branch’s fault. Went against his scouts in order to pick Gilhula who I don’t notice at all most nights unless he’s losing another puck battle. Damien had a good night against the Wolves as usual.

Last edited:

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
67’s fan coming in peace. What can we expect Sunday? A repeat of the last time the teams met in Ottawa during our school day game? You seem to be struggling a little with keeping pucks out of your net lately... although you don’t seem to have a problem filling the other team’s cage either. Could be interesting, to say the least (Byfield vs. Rossi/Quinn). :)

Probably expect Byfield to be out for this one as well. Expect our forwards to score and by physical, our defence to make glaring errors at the worst possible times and for our goalie, whoever it is, to let in at least one soft backbreaking goal.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
what a shame BB never drafted this kid, when he had the chance. It would of helped with attendance.

Giroux has lit us up almost every time he's played in Sudbury! I really, really wanted the Wolves to draft him that year! Gilhula was hurt most of his draft year.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
10-6. Goaltending again. On you Papineau!!!!!!

While everyone including the players are very aware of the goaltending issues, I won’t pin it all on Purboo and Weeks tonight. The first two were awful but the remainder were tap ins, odd man rushes and breakaways caused by inept defensive pinches and reads.

Reactions: justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Goaltending was bad at both ends the difference being Saginaw did not even consider replacing Fraps with their ace when the Wolves were staging a come back. Would really like an update on Byfield. How long does a day to day wrist injury take to heal, especially when you are practicing with the team. Hope that is all it is.

I'm thinking Byfield injury maybe some kind of concussion protocol or shoulder. I seen some pics at arena on Byfield, there isn't any evident bandage to his wrist. I don't know for sure, just a hunch I'm feeling.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Probably expect Byfield to be out for this one as well. Expect our forwards to score and by physical, our defence to make glaring errors at the worst possible times and for our goalie, whoever it is, to let in at least one soft backbreaking goal.
Too bad Byfield might be out, just love to see the kid. Was also looking forward to seeing how you guys looked post deadline but from your description they don' t appear to have addressed needed issues. Was also gonna say you guys have a good shot to beat us as we have not been playing very well lately and we're down 2 top four D and a top 6 forward. However if Byfield is out it kind of evens out.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Can the Wolves still bring up Bowen? Believe it or not it’s being discussed.

If he was re-signed by Feb.10 after his release to go try the Q, then yes I believe. If he is on the protected list, he can be re-called for ‘emergency’ starts but ineligible for playoffs.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I'm thinking Byfield injury maybe some kind of concussion protocol or shoulder. I seen some pics at arena on Byfield, there isn't any evident bandage to his wrist. I don't know for sure, just a hunch I'm feeling.
I agree he looks good in the stands , no bandages, there has to be more to it. Scouts would like to see him against the better teams and that looks like it won't happen. Wonder what effect this will have regarding his rating ?

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I agree he looks good in the stands , no bandages, there has to be more to it. Scouts would like to see him against the better teams and that looks like it won't happen. Wonder what effect this will have regarding his rating ?

It's looking more and more like he'll be back next season for several reasons.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Too bad Byfield might be out, just love to see the kid. Was also looking forward to seeing how you guys looked post deadline but from your description they don' t appear to have addressed needed issues. Was also gonna say you guys have a good shot to beat us as we have not been playing very well lately and we're down 2 top four D and a top 6 forward. However if Byfield is out it kind of evens out.

We needed a better goalie and a leader on defense. Didn’t happen but we did get better up front as even without Byfield they can score. Could be another high scoring game here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad