Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
When will Sudbury be true contenders? Any guesses folks?
How long until we make the finals again or win a Championship? Is 2024 the goal for Dario and Paps?

After the last two trade deadlines, it won't be for a few tears. Too many assets were given away with not much coming back. At this point, there isn't a lot returning from the trades that were made. Barrie did it correctly, this organization is loaded for bear with assets and are way ahead of the Wolves in their rebuild. The Colts are ready for their run build up in 2021- 2022 and 2022-2023. The Wolves would have been better selling Lukkonen last year or Byfield this year.

Reactions: HockeyHell

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Does anyone seem to think like I do that Quinton looks tired? He just does not seem to have that same jump. He just seems to be trying too hard. Please I am not knocking him, but all the press of late and all the hype may be to overwhelming. What do others think?

Yes he does. Just like Lukkonen did last year. The Wolves relied way too much on Lukkonen last year, and Byfield this year. I can only imagine the pressure on this kids shoulders, and for him to know that he has zero chance of getting a shot at a title in the OHL after the deadline is a letdown on its own. Look at it through his lens, he knows the Wolves aren't going anywhere, and his spot in the NHL draft is pretty much locked in, so, what is he playing for. Nadda

Regardless of the fans and book keeper's opinion, Byfield should have been moved for this awesome player to have a chance at winning the OHL title. He can change a game, but the Wolves trading him would've change the fabric of the league for the Wolves betterment.

Reactions: HockeyHell

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
My goodness some of you guys have high and lows Stay even keel. After a loss it's doom and gloom. Youcarry some heavy hearts and get crushed. Let's be honest here, what percentage actually thought we'd win tonight, exactly! In the back of your head you knew they would lose and now crying cause they got beat. Maybe a little less emotionally involved, and you'll be alright. It is what it is. This team has some flaws that they will struggle with it from period a to period game to game. Just except it
That's your opinion, but why every lost we have to resort in rehashing the same crap all the time.. How about critiquing the game and give an opinion. This ownership, management and coaching bashing gets tiresome, it's Groundhog Day every day. It is actually embarrassing how people on here are so quick to crap on the team every lost, but when they win very silent.

Many other boards you rarely hear feuding but support their team, the Sudbury board is a total embarrassment. I understand the frustration, but constant whining gets exhausting. Same guys say the same crap on every post, bring something else to the game, anybody can criticize deals after the fact, but at the time we're totally legit. Let's move on from the negativity, and move to some constructive criticism.

GMs and coaches that have OHL and memorial cup appearances get bashed mercilessly on this board.
You suggest the GM/coach of a team that (purposely all-in tanked) and now gifted the two seed despite awful Nizhnikov, Stratis, Sokolov deals and ill-timed Ruzicka, DeMeo trades be immune to criticism for not being all-in now? The proceeds of the tank are used, plus more.
This was the year to be all-in.
A gift two seed for a team graduating too many to be relevant for at least a few seasons in a year that no team added more than a big piece and a depth piece at the deadline. It was the perfect time for a team that has not won a single game in round two since 2007 to do everything possible to win.
Instead, the GM shows his mettle by stating that he likes the team and adding more would guarantee nothing. He stated this knowing every informed OHL fan knows not adding more guarantees the wolves will win nothing,

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Maybe just maybe Papineau has a gut feeling that his chances of his star player returning next season were greater than moving him at the deadline for a shot at the future. Watching the game last night the positives out weighed the negatives, Purboo was good, Levin was a force and we had great scoring chances sadly missing on most. We stayed with London for the most part. This team is more than capable of over achieving come playoff time with what we have now. They just have to find their balance which will only come with practice and applying what they are working on in practice. On a side note, Sammy had his first fight and Stillman was a spark plug all game always in the mix.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Forgot to mention that Purboo skated off the ice with 3 minutes left in the warmup, the first player off the ice. Is that normal? It made me think that either he wasn't feeling well or Weeks was going to start. Seems like no big deal in hindsight given that Purboo started and played well.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maybe just maybe Papineau has a gut feeling that his chances of his star player returning next season were greater than moving him at the deadline for a shot at the future. Watching the game last night the positives out weighed the negatives, Purboo was good, Levin was a force and we had great scoring chances sadly missing on most. We stayed with London for the most part. This team is more than capable of over achieving come playoff time with what we have now. They just have to find their balance which will only come with practice and applying what they are working on in practice. On a side note, Sammy had his first fight and Stillman was a spark plug all game always in the mix.

It’s just too bad Papineau would not or could not add to a team possessing the 2 seed and capable of surprising come playoff time so that it could have a reasonable chance come round two. Imagine that coupled with a surprise return of the wolves star player

Reactions: yalbmert25

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I was at this game and well... I don't see it. Knights dominated. Sudbury put up the white flag early. Team needed this kick in the you know what if they plan on truly contending. Playing against weaker teams in their division might be giving them a false sense of skill. I dunno, it was bad tonight.
This says a lot. In the Western Conference Sudbury is on the outside of the playoff picture right now.
Another poster mentioned Byfield looked tired last night and that was kind of the vibe I got although I've only seen him live here and in the OHL - Russia series.
But for a player of his calibre he looked either tired or sick and tired...
Levin's goal was a beauty!

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This says a lot. In the Western Conference Sudbury is on the outside of the playoff picture right now.
Another poster mentioned Byfield looked tired last night and that was kind of the vibe I got although I've only seen him live here and in the OHL - Russia series.

But in the east, by some incredible stroke of luck and/or fortunate timing the wolves have the 2 seed. That is what matters. Could you imagine any other franchise not winning a single game in round two of the playoffs since 2007 not doing everything possible to capitalize? Especially after missing the playoffs all together 3 out of 4 seasons, including such a blatant in your face OHL -switch to a lottery format- we’re tanking for Byfield.
Levin has come a long way. It’s nice to see for a kid that wants it so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: sbpointer

cub

Apr 11, 2012

Thanks Tips, we wouldn't have known this without your help.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Watching games the last few weeks, it really becomes apparently the Wolves need to revisit their priorities when they're scouting. The OHL has become a real fast league, and the wolves have to be the slowest team in the OHL overall. They have a couple burners like Byfield and Robinson, but beyond that a lot of cement feet and they just get outskated constantly.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I was quite impress on the London Knights on televised production of the game, it was professionally done, similar to a NHL production. The game had so much lighting, nice and clear, the play by play announcer was great, the game was joy to watch.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
But in the east, by some incredible stroke of luck and/or fortunate timing the wolves have the 2 seed. That is what matters. Could you imagine any other franchise not winning a single game in round two of the playoffs since 2007 not doing everything possible to capitalize? Especially after missing the playoffs all together 3 out of 4 seasons, including such a blatant in your face OHL -switch to a lottery format- we’re tanking for Byfield.
Levin has come a long way. It’s nice to see for a kid that wants it so much.

This may be the reason why the Wolves haven't had success since 2007. The management team is making errant decisions based on fans demands. The goal isn't round two, the goal is to win the OHL championship. To get to the championship, the team has to make smart tough decisions. This bring in stability, consistency and leads to winning everything. A team will be hard pressed to accomplish this if their decisions are knee jerk reaction to outside pressures.

Ask yourself these 3 questions today. Was keeping Lukkonen or Byfield the right thing to do for the Wolves, not the fans? Are the Wolves closer to winning a championship now that Pekar and Chenier have been added to the roster for the next 24 games? Are the Wolves in a better position to win next year as a result of the tradeline deals?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I was quite impress on the London Knights on televised production of the game, it was professionally done, similar to a NHL production. The game had so much lighting, nice and clear, the play by play announcer was great, the game was joy to watch.
You beat me to it

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This may be the reason why the Wolves haven't had success since 2007. The management team is making errant decisions based on fans demands. The goal isn't round two, the goal is to win the OHL championship. To get to the championship, the team has to make smart tough decisions. This bring in stability, consistency and leads to winning everything. A team will be hard pressed to accomplish this if their decisions are knee jerk reaction to outside pressures.

Ask yourself these 3 questions today. Was keeping Lukkonen or Byfield the right thing to do for the Wolves, not the fans? Are the Wolves closer to winning a championship now that Pekar and Chenier have been added to the roster for the next 24 games? Are the Wolves in a better position to win next year as a result of the tradeline deals?

I’ll go with keeping UPL was good for the team. Adding Ruzicka & Demeo though, that was a complete was waste of assets knowing the team was built for 2019-20.
Keeping Byfield was absolutely the right thing to do. Not being committed to win with him and a 2nd line player like Levin when the two seed is gifted is a crime, imo. I think you need to consider when will be the next real opportunity to re-write the history of the wolves losing ways.
Selling to be in a better position next season could not have happened. Best case scenario do the Byfield to Saginaw trade for Cardwell, Punnet, picks. That was the only meaningful sell move the wolves had. Do you see the wolves as better than Miss, Barrie with Suzuki still in the fold, Oshawa? Heck, would the wolves be in a better position than KGN, NB, Nia, Ham going forward?
There is just no way anyone will convince me the wolves management did not choke on an opportunity this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: howlman

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
I’ll go with keeping UPL was good for the team. Adding Ruzicka & Demeo though, that was a complete was waste of assets knowing the team was built for 2019-20.
Keeping Byfield was absolutely the right thing to do. Not being committed to win with him and a 2nd line player like Levin when the two seed is gifted is a crime, imo.
Selling to be in a better position next season could not have happened. Best case scenario do the Byfield to Saginaw trade for Cardwell, Punnet, picks. That was the only meaningful sell move the wolves had. Do you see the wolves as better than Miss, Barrie with Suzuki still in the fold, Oshawa? Heck, would the wolves be in a better position than KGN, NB, Nia, Ham going forward?

If that is the best case, then why make the deals and lose the picks at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad