Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yes, why didn't anyone there put in a claim. Something isn't adding up, players get released for a reason.

A ton of WHL goalies got released. Spokane released Bailey Brkin and Reece Klassen. Brkin had a .914 in the regular season before getting a .922 in the playoffs. Klassen only got a .905 with Spokane and did not play in the playoffs. Brkin predictably got claimed by a team (Moose Jaw) and Klassen eventually got claimed himself (Swift Current).

Myskiw was released after both and I guess the musical chairs just stopped at that point, even though Klassen was far worse than Myskiw. Major driver is the Import Draft changes allowing you to have Import goalies again. Lukas Parik, LAK 3rd rounder, was the guy to supplant Brkin and Klassen as Spokane's starter and allowed Spokane to spend their OA spot elsewhere. There is also Mads Sogaard (Medicine Hat) and Jiri Patera (Brandon). Had Parik, Sogaard and Patera not been in the league, there is a good chance that a guy like Myskiw would still have a job there.

Reactions: MGOBlue

cub

Apr 11, 2012
But what about the Penalty Kill that is 2nd last in the league, giving up 13 PPG so far?

they say the best Penalty Kill is your goalie lol. I hope we get Kooy I think he would be what we need.

WolvesFan

The Voice of Reason
Sep 24, 2012
Sudbury, Ontario
I’m torn about Kooy... I’m just hesitant about dealing with the Hunters, they always seem to be able to fleece the wolves for way more than most players are worth!!

Kooy, I think could do wonders for this team, we just don’t need to overpay AGAIN...

Go Wolves Go!!

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah but if they pick him up, what are people going to complain about?

Defense. As good as it could be next season with every one of the defensemen very likely to return, it’s a problem now. How well would have Kooy’s 0.818 SV % played in front of the wolves D thus far?
Something has to be done about both the D and G situation. Problems are; 3 OA F is not right for this team, and the best available 19 yr old D will be hard to get until nearer the deadline. Maybe throw picks at Kooy and hope for the best; and/or, throw picks at an OA D such as Brahaney and worry about the OA surplus later.

Answer to looming question; Carson is a luxury the wolves cannot afford given the current D, imo.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Defense. As good as it could be next season with every one of the defensemen very likely to return, it’s a problem now. How well would have Kooy’s 0.818 SV % played in front of the wolves D thus far?
Something has to be done about both the D and G situation. Problems are; 3 OA F is not right for this team, and the best available 19 yr old D will be hard to get until nearer the deadline. Maybe throw picks at Kooy and hope for the best; and/or, throw picks at an OA D such as Brahaney and worry about the OA surplus later.

Answer to looking question; Carson is a luxury the wolves cannot afford given the current D, imo.
Just drop caron and Stratis for some defensive guys and I love puck moving D so this isn’t a old school mindset thing we could just genuinely use one unless we’re gonna be a run n gun team which right now we’re not playing like

Also... can we acknowledge Thompsons totals so far... WOW. Kids a beast, we might just have two first rounders this year folks

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thompson is a terrific 17 yr old D. If picked in 2nd, early 3rd round is this year’s potentially great NHL draft, it would be a good accomplishment

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Thompson is a terrific 17 yr old D. If picked in 2nd, early 3rd round is this year’s potentially great NHL draft, it would be a good accomplishment
Agreed, any other year and he’d be our “big one” but not we have QB to boot. Still think he’ll be a late first-early second at the end of the season though

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
With another 3 in 3 this weekend Barrie at home, Owen Sound Saturday night and Guelph on a Sunday afternoon who starts in net? It appears Papineau will be running without making any changes to the roster for this weekend. Will the team be fragile this weekend? It will be very interesting to see how they respond to the very poor goaltending this season. I hope Sudbury can find that jump they had vs the Petes. It will huge to get a win vs Barrie at home and build some confidence versus a rising Owen Sound team. Sudbury needs a huge weekend to restore some credibility around the league. But they will need to limit the amount of bad turnovers that are resulting in quality scoring chances and the goalies need to work much harder to maintain themselves as OHL goaltenders.

WJ

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Looking forward to seeing the Attack and Wolves meet for the first time of the regular season wonder if the Wolves fans will be hitting the road this weekend?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Last season the match up against Oshawa in the playoffs was all Oshawa even with Ukko. This season it will probably come down to this again only if the goal tending improves. Paps is well aware of the situation with respect to goal tending unfortunately every other team does too. He has proven in the past his worth as the teams GM. Give him time although time is our biggest enemy and I am quite confident things will work out. Hopefully this is not wishful thinking.

Reactions: hockieguy

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Last season the match up against Oshawa in the playoffs was all Oshawa even with Ukko. This season it will probably come down to this again only if the goal tending improves. Paps is well aware of the situation with respect to goal tending unfortunately every other team does too. He has proven in the past his worth as the teams GM. Give him time although time is our biggest enemy and I am quite confident things will work out. Hopefully this is not wishful thinking.

why is time our biggest enemy? Trade deadline is still January right? Especially regarding goaltending where there isn’t really a system he has to learn. Just stop the puck!

In terms of adding a top 6 forward or a top 2 D I would rather have that piece sooner rather then later but the goalie is pretty plug and play isn’t it?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
why is time our biggest enemy? Trade deadline is still January right? Especially regarding goaltending where there isn’t really a system he has to learn. Just stop the puck!

In terms of adding a top 6 forward or a top 2 D I would rather have that piece sooner rather then later but the goalie is pretty plug and play isn’t it?
Time is our biggest enemy in the sense that we don’t want to fall to far down in the standings and have to play a top end team in the first round. Every team knows we are desperate right now so can you imagine the price? The pieces have to fall in place and that could take time which again is our biggest enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad