Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Last season the match up against Oshawa in the playoffs was all Oshawa even with Ukko. This season it will probably come down to this again only if the goal tending improves. Paps is well aware of the situation with respect to goal tending unfortunately every other team does too. He has proven in the past his worth as the teams GM. Give him time although time is our biggest enemy and I am quite confident things will work out. Hopefully this is not wishful thinking.
We played Oshawa in the playoffs last year? I must have have missed that
series :) I would sure as heck hope Papineau is aware of the dire situation, he’s only the GM and the one principally responsible for providing Stillman with the resources he needs to win. I think we’re all hoping he pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Also I don’t think us die hards wanting and expecting OHL level goaltending is an unreasonable request. Some of you may not get it, but many of us have been waiting for what seems like forever for a deep run and we finally have some pieces in place this season that could allow for that and how often does that come around, especially for this franchise?
Also no, we don’t have the luxury of a ton of time. Part of making a deep run involves finishing as high as possible in the standings so as to secure home ice in the playoffs. I don’t worry about the team necessarily being fragile, these kids think they can do anything but indeed the team many not perform the same way offensively knowing any defensive lapse is likely to end up in the net or worse, that they can outplay teams for long stretches (i,e, the Kitchener game) and still lose by giving soft, deflating goals. I would be fine with being more patient during an average season but we have high hopes this season and don’t want to slip too far away from Oshawa and the like because of subpar goaltending. That would be a shame. Finally, and before some of you rally to Paps defence like a secret service agent taking a bullet, I’m not saying this to be overly critical but how in the hell did anyone think Purboo had proved anything in this league to be worth what Papineau paid for him?? Based on what? Sorry reeks of desperation and wishful thinking.
Finally, as far as I know this is a discussion board where we can share opinions and express both praise and criticism. I don’t think that makes us “keyboard warriors”. Anyone who doesn’t like reading justifiable criticisms or observations may well enjoy a cheerleading type forum better. Here’s hoping the team (including whoever is in net) performs up to their abilities this weekend. Big divisional matchup tomorrow night and with a two game roadie it is imperative that they win and start the weekend off right. Go Wolves.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
series :) I would sure as heck hope Papineau is aware of the dire situation, he’s only the GM and the one principally responsible for providing Stillman with the resources he needs to win. I think we’re all hoping he pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Also I don’t think us die hards wanting and expecting OHL level goaltending is an unreasonable request. Some of you may not get it, but many of us have been waiting for what seems like forever for a deep run and we finally have some pieces in place this season that could allow for that and how often does that come around, especially for this franchise?
Also no, we don’t have the luxury of a ton of time. Part of making a deep run involves finishing as high as possible in the standings so as to secure home ice in the playoffs. I don’t worry about the team necessarily being fragile, these kids think they can do anything but indeed the team many not perform the same way offensively knowing any defensive lapse is likely to end up in the net or worse, that they can outplay teams for long stretches (i,e, the Kitchener game) and still lose by giving soft, deflating goals. I would be fine with being more patient during an average season but we have high hopes this season and don’t want to slip too far away from Oshawa and the like because of subpar goaltending. That would be a shame. Finally, and before some of you rally to Paps defence like a secret service agent taking a bullet, I’m not saying this to be overly critical but how in the hell did anyone think Purboo had proved anything in this league to be worth what Papineau paid for him?? Based on what? Sorry reeks of desperation and wishful thinking.
Finally, as far as I know this is a discussion board where we can share opinions and express both praise and criticism. I don’t think that makes us “keyboard warriors”. Anyone who doesn’t like reading justifiable criticisms or observations may well enjoy a cheerleading type forum better. Here’s hoping the team (including whoever is in net) performs up to their abilities this weekend. Big divisional matchup tomorrow night and with a two game roadie it is imperative that they win and start the weekend off right. Go Wolves.

Guelph won it all as a 4 seed last year... agreed we need better goaltending! 100%. Papineau has made so many great moves. I really thought Purboo would figure it out but he hasn’t. Were 10 games in. The season is so young! We will lose some players to international tournaments. We’re currently leading the division and need to keep winning division games.
Papineau can’t press the panic button and overpay just to get a new goalie in mid October.. He can’t act desperate. No sense rushing it right now. games will matter a whole lot more in January moving forward. Let Papineau evaluate the team for now and make decisions when things are more pressing then they are now.
That being said we need better goaltending and better team defense. Get on it Stilly

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Great post, says it all could not agree more

Reactions: Lycanthrope

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Stillman speaking on Q

"He’s the best player in our league and he deserves the recognition that he is getting,” Stillman said. “It’s a chance for him to come in and make a good impression and as a coach, as an organization, we want him to be good enough to play for the world junior hockey team.”

Reactions: cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

Need better information out of the Wolves den Ben! Like ask the hard questions to our GM. What direction does he figure to take this year? Are you doing anything to address the weak goaltending were getting. Doesn't seem either one are playing to earn the number 1 position. And are definitely not challenging each other. etc.... Great for Simon Labelle but he isn't in our plans any longer.

WJ

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Wonder if any Wolves fans/posters will be making the trip Saturday to the Sound.

Always a very entertaining game between the Attack and Wolves every season.

AS,

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Dress one of the extra forwards in net!

WJ
Funny Jack, I was going to ask you if you had any pads laying around :) On a serious note, last night featured at least two games that served as a perfect example of what goaltending can do to keep a team in the game (not that we don’t remember last year). Hamilton made it close in Peterborough’s home opener only because of their goalie and Sarnia’s goalie in his debut helped the struggling Sting pick up their first win over Barrie in a game that should have been over in the first period.
Can’t overstate the difference goaltending makes. I’m hoping for at least average tending tonight as we need to at least start distancing ourselves in the Central. No reason (except for brutal goaltending) why the Wolves shouldn’t win the division this year and I easily see them challenging for the conference title if they can get the goalie situation straightened out. Does Paps play goal ;)

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Funny Jack, I was going to ask you if you had any pads laying around :) On a serious note, last night featured at least two games that served as a perfect example of what goaltending can do to keep a team in the game (not that we don’t remember last year). Hamilton made it close in Peterborough’s home opener only because of their goalie and Sarnia’s goalie in his debut helped the struggling Sting pick up their first win over Barrie in a game that should have been over in the first period.
Can’t overstate the difference goaltending makes. I’m hoping for at least average tending tonight as we need to at least start distancing ourselves in the Central. No reason (except for brutal goaltending) why the Wolves shouldn’t win the division this year and I easily see them challenging for the conference title if they can get the goalie situation straightened out. Does Paps play goal ;)
I thought we’d picked Gaudreau. Don’t think we expected him to get picked that high.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Wolves win tonight.

Weeks solid

Not the most entertaining game

Not a fan how the Colts play the game.

Back on track gentlemen

:devdance::devdance::devdance::devdance:

Last edited:
Reactions: cub

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Win but it sure feels like a loss against a team full of thugs.

Hopefully byfield is not injured after that headshot at the end of the game. League really needs to step in. Refs tonight should be out of a job.
Including the goaltender

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Win but it sure feels like a loss against a team full of thugs.

Hopefully byfield is not injured after that headshot at the end of the game. League really needs to step in. Refs tonight should be out of a job.

Did that happen after the empty netter? I wasnt watching tonight.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Did that happen after the empty netter? I wasnt watching tonight.
On the same play, Clarke ran Byfield high at the blueline, while Byfield was on the ice hurt, Bulitka popped it home. Was disappointed to see no one stick up for Byfield either. One reason to miss the Pilons I guess. Byfield left the ice, was not on for the celebration, did not come out for the three stars.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
On the same play, Clarke ran Byfield high at the blueline, while Byfield was on the ice hurt, Bulitka popped it home. Was disappointed to see no one stick up for Byfield either. One reason to miss the Pilons I guess. Byfield left the ice, was not on for the celebration, did not come out for the three stars.
They were dirty all night. Trying to intimate the wolves. Funny tho, they left Carson alone. Wonder why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->