Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
UPL was the best and the worst thing that could of happened to this team. He made an average team look much better than they were last year, which now has everyone pissed off about their current goalie situation. At the end of the day, it's the OHL, there are going to be high scoring games you win or lose no matter what team you follow. Gotta remember that they are 1st in the Central, with the goalies they have... and we're only what, 10/11 games in ?
Nobody is disputing that Ukko made an average team look good last season. A true OHL follower would know that. But the truth came out in round 2. No matter how good goaltending is your team defence and offence needs to be deeper much deeper. Ottawa lost with Dipietro and all that depth. Guelph wins with Popovich. The league is funny for sure but an overall deep team with character, scoring, timely saves, defensive players and solid coaching is what makes a winner. Sudbury needs to find pieces to the puzzle and not hold on to certain players who make the same mistakes, play scared and don't want to make sacrifices to win puck battles, or guys who don't think the game right. Individual efforts are nice for the average fan or cameras but not for team unity. We still have guys who play perimeter and wait around for the perfect chance to score. We need tenacious work ethic from all players. We are missing way too much goaltending out. Papineau needs to concentrate on making small improvements. Too much love for certain guys and their value decreases as he holds on to them. IMO.

WJ

Reactions: hockieguy

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
UPL was the best and the worst thing that could of happened to this team. He made an average team look much better than they were last year, which now has everyone pissed off about their current goalie situation. At the end of the day, it's the OHL, there are going to be high scoring games you win or lose no matter what team you follow. Gotta remember that they are 1st in the Central, with the goalies they have... and we're only what, 10/11 games in ?
Sorry. No, terrible goaltending is terrible goaltending.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This is the guy Sudbury should of went after. All those picks for Purboo makes me scared to think what London will fleece us for Kooy.

WJ

Wolfman Jack, I hate when you go into these negative tangents, seen it so many times and you look bad after the fact. How in hell does anyone know that Kooy was available? He has played poorly and seem to have a falling out in London, who would of thought that after his season last year, and being drafted by Vegas? If Purboo was standing on his head you would never give Papineau any credit. Man give it a break, lets see how it plays out.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
It's gotta be the yellow in his equipment throwing off his game.. Purboo just needs to switch colours to a nice blue :popcorn:

Reactions: dmo

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
It's gotta be the yellow in his equipment throwing off his game.. Purboo just needs to switch colours to a nice blue :popcorn:
That actually crossed my mind a few times. He'd be smart to wait to see if he's on the team come Christmas. Seriously.

No Gm is perfect. They make good moves and not so good moves. It's the nature of the job. I believe he will fix it. Along with other areas of the team. But to me fixing the crease is a priority and in sure he'd aware of this. He's been watching musicals chairs for a few games now. That's not good for all involved.

Let's see what he does. Were not the only team on this league with goaltending issues. The next few weeks should be quite interesting.

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolfman Jack, I hate when you go into these negative tangents, seen it so many times and you look bad after the fact. How in hell does anyone know that Kooy was available? He has played poorly and seem to have a falling out in London, who would of thought that after his season last year, and being drafted by Vegas? If Purboo was standing on his head you would never give Papineau any credit. Man give it a break, lets see how it plays out.
Cub you did the same last year. You can't continue to play the wait and see game. Papineau made mistakes that is costing this team right now. He didn't take a player in the first round of the import draft who would report. That alone would of made a difference. He panicked before the season started in not going with Bowen and Weeks for a couple of games instead dealt for Purboo who IMO has only won one game where he played ok. Shootout victory vs the Rangers. The first game of the season he let in the first couple of goals on 3 or 4 shots vs Erie. I watched it. And he has done the same almost every second game he starts. It was a huge over payment for a guy he panicked to get. Ask anyone around on what they think of that deal when it happened. Don't take my posts personal!!!! Its fact!!!! Papineau needs to make moves. Same guys same mistakes. I don't know why he holds on so long. Make a freaking move to change the culture and air around the team. Some guys are playing like they are safe and untouchable. Look at North Bay picking up Grima while they had three quality overage players. King is now sitting out waiting for a trade. A guy who Butler gave a letter to. Small moves make things happen. And as for the Kooy thing. He challenged Raymakers for the number one spot for two seasons. He is a much better goalie who may need a change of scene. He is way better than what we currently have. Heck I know Larmour is better than what he have too. I watch these guys play and they can be above average and help the team not deflate them. This team is going south in the current state. If moves are not made soon expect the same. Its my opinion which I am allowed to air.

WJ

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Cub you did the same last year. You can't continue to play the wait and see game. Papineau made mistakes that is costing this team right now. He didn't take a player in the first round of the import draft who would report. That alone would of made a difference. He panicked before the season started in not going with Bowen and Weeks for a couple of games instead dealt for Purboo who IMO has only won one game where he played ok. Shootout victory vs the Rangers. The first game of the season he let in the first couple of goals on 3 or 4 shots vs Erie. I watched it. And he has done the same almost every second game he starts. It was a huge over payment for a guy he panicked to get. Ask anyone around on what they think of that deal when it happened. Don't take my posts personal!!!! Its fact!!!! Papineau needs to make moves. Same guys same mistakes. I don't know why he holds on so long. Make a freaking move to change the culture and air around the team. Some guys are playing like they are safe and untouchable. Look at North Bay picking up Grima while they had three quality overage players. King is now sitting out waiting for a trade. A guy who Butler gave a letter to. Small moves make things happen. And as for the Kooy thing. He challenged Raymakers for the number one spot for two seasons. He is a much better goalie who may need a change of scene. He is way better than what we currently have. Heck I know Larmour is better than what he have too. I watch these guys play and they can be above average and help the team not deflate them. This team is going south in the current state. If moves are not made soon expect the same. Its my opinion which I am allowed to air.

WJ

Yes I understand your frustrations, but lets see how it plays out, we are still up in the standings and just 10 games in, we all know every year team looks much different by the end of the season trying to make team better. I would jump on Kooy if he is available, but to say he was available in beginning of the season is totally wrong like you make it seem he was. I'm sure Papineau is looking at all his options.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

WJ
King didn't get a letter. It was confusing at the moment but makes sense now.
C - Chenier
A - Struthers
A - Primeau
A - Moncada

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
You know if we would of one two of of three this past weekend, it would of been a whole lot quieter in here today :)

Reactions: cub

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Must be a back story behind his release?

Yeah I'm not sure. He's an OA though so I assume he was on a team who wanted to rebuild with a young goalie. Not sure why someone else in the WHL didn't claim him though

Like NB moving on from Propp but if nobody else in the O wanted Propp

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Yes I understand your frustrations, but lets see how it plays out, we are still up in the standings and just 10 games in, we all know every year team looks much different by the end of the season trying to make team better. I would jump on Kooy if he is available, but to say he was available in beginning of the season is totally wrong like you make it seem he was. I'm sure Papineau is looking at all his options.

nobody cares who is out of the gate first, it’s who crosses the line first that counts.

Reactions: cub

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Not the season we can afford to wait. Perhaps during a rebuilding or retooling year.

I think this is a rebuilding year that began last season. The goalie fooled many people that this was a better team than it really is. WJ is correct on a lot of his points. Byfield is great, I’d like to see him one more season but I don’t think that’s going to happen.
The Wolves might want to focus on the blue line and net. I don’t think this defence is up to it minus a few players. Some players on the d are being pushed into roles they aren’t ready for.

To score, a guy has to go through 3 forwards and 2 defence to get to the net. Goaltending is a concern but so are the guys immediately in front of them.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah I'm not sure. He's an OA though so I assume he was on a team who wanted to rebuild with a young goalie. Not sure why someone else in the WHL didn't claim him though

Like NB moving on from Propp but if nobody else in the O wanted Propp

Yes, why didn't anyone there put in a claim. Something isn't adding up, players get released for a reason.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I would love to see Sudbury really load up this season. Byfield is the guy I want to see be an absolute beast in the playoffs.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yes, why didn't anyone there put in a claim. Something isn't adding up, players get released for a reason.

Idk, was reading the replies to the Oil Kings post about releasing him though and their fans all seemed pissed. Seems like they really liked him

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Two options here. Trade a low pick to London for Myskiw if you think he's the right fit. If he had a huge market someone else would have claimed him on waivers so he'll come cheap and then trade Carson for what you can get.
Other option is to trade for Kooy who might also come cheaper then expected since the Hunters might be having off ice issues with him.

Reactions: howlman

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Two options here. Trade a low pick to London for Myskiw if you think he's the right fit. If he had a huge market someone else would have claimed him on waivers so he'll come cheap and then trade Carson for what you can get.
Other option is to trade for Kooy who might also come cheaper then expected since the Hunters might be having off ice issues with him.
Let’s hope any of the above options occur.
WJ

Reactions: LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->