Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree about Caron, I don't get why he is on roster, hopefully playing him maybe to shop him around. Stratis, I've sorted of stood up for him, but he looks like he doesn't care much, or just bad body language.

Hutchinson and Robinson, off to a very slow start, they have been getting opportunities on playing on top 2 lines, PP etc., but nothing to show for it on most nights.

Carson works hard, I think even in his OA year he is what he is, he might have to go shut down centre roll, and PK. I don't see big offensive numbers from him, even though he scored 30 one year.

I still think this team has a lot of potential, still early, and I'm sure moves will be made for the better.
What I worry about waiting to make a move later is that Sudbury will lose more games and be the middle of a pack team that some players may not want to be traded to. We needed to stay a top 2 in the conference to be considered for a top 6 forward a top 4 defence and an above average goalie. I just don’t think Papineau can pull it off this year. He doesn’t have the depth and draft picks to make the necessary moves without completely depleting the bank. And for what he paid for Purboo he’s not batting very good in the transaction department.

WJ

Reactions: hockieguy

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I agree about Caron, I don't get why he is on roster, hopefully playing him maybe to shop him around. Stratis, I've sorted of stood up for him, but he looks like he doesn't care much, or just bad body language.

Hutchinson and Robinson, off to a very slow start, they have been getting opportunities on playing on top 2 lines, PP etc., but nothing to show for it on most nights.

Carson works hard, I think even in his OA year he is what he is, he might have to go shut down centre roll, and PK. I don't see big offensive numbers from him, even though he scored 30 one year.

I still think this team has a lot of potential, still early, and I'm sure moves will be made for the better.
I would move Carson for the right OA goalie. Bonello?

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
What I worry about waiting to make a move later is that Sudbury will lose more games and be the middle of a pack team that some players may not want to be traded to. We needed to stay a top 2 in the conference to be considered for top 6 forwards top 4 defence and an above average goalie. I just don’t think Papineau can pull it off this year. He doesn’t have the depth and draft picks to make the necessary moves without completely depleting the bank. And for what he paid for Purboo he’s not batting very good in that transaction department.

WJ

We will see, I don't fault the Purboo deal, needed address the goalie situation before the season started, I even thought he was decent for North Bay the games I saw him play against the Wolves, but has been a big disappointment. Knowing Papineau he will address it. The only problem there isn't many good goalies out there to make a move for. I still think Weeks could be that guy but how long do we wait for him to be it?

Reactions: Wiserbud

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
We will see, I don't fault the Purboo deal, needed address the goalie situation before the season started, I even thought he was decent for North Bay the games I saw him play against the Wolves, but has been a big disappointment. Knowing Papineau he will address it. The only problem there isn't many good goalies out there to make a move for. I still think Weeks could be that guy but how long do we wait for him to be it?
Not the season we can afford to wait. Perhaps during a rebuilding or retooling year.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I agree about Caron, I don't get why he is on roster, hopefully playing him maybe to shop him around.
But don't you think other GM'S see how Caron plays, so playing him really won't make a difference.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Did anyone lay a hit today or stand anyone up at the blue line?

Murray needs space and time for him to show well. Most times he doesn’t have that and disappears. He creates very little. I’m sorry he doesn’t skate hard enough for me. Good shot...yes but far from an excellent season IMO.

WJ

Ranger fan here. Was at the game. Yes, there was a ton of hitting. Initiated by Sudbury for the most part and reciprocated by the Rangers. There was major speed and hitting from both sides for most of the game. The only thing missing was a little hate! That is the result of playing in different conferences.

Two pretty good teams going at it today. I kept saying I'd enjoy a seven game series between these two teams.

The only sore thumb was the goaltending IMO. Sure there were turnovers so it wasn't totally the fault of the Sudbury goaltending, but the turnovers happened both ways and Ingham stood strong. If you guys had some better goaltending, it's a lot closer game if not a win for the visiting team.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Yup that’s what we have saying since game 1. We need better goaltending. I think there has been only 3 full games played by our goalies.

WJ

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I only saw what I’d consider a few legitimate goals out of the seven goals scored, the rest were gift wrapped. You’re welcome Rangers. Worst goaltending I’ve seen at this level in a long time. Oh and check out our goals against so far. Encouraging.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
London has a former Edmonton Oil Kings goalie in their camp. An overage who cleared waivers through the WHL. Wish our GM would think outside the box to fix our goaltending woes.

It was evident last year during the WJC that we couldn’t win without solid goaltending as UKKO was away. That should have made goaltending a priority from that point forward knowing full well this season would be an issue. Waiting for the import draft to grab a goalie who wasn’t 100 percent certain to come was a huge mistake as we could of grabbed a valuable player with that first pick who could have helped in other areas. I don’t know how Paps gets himself out of this problem without overpaying again in a trade to fix his goalie problem.

WJ

Reactions: howlman

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread

Purboo update:

Last 4 games, he's got 0.807 SAV%

Very rough stretch for Purboo. The Oshawa game was a killer choke game. You see the odd flashes where he looks solid, but then he lets in a bunch of softies which really deflates the team.

I find both Weeks and Purboo drop way too early on shots. Everyone knows to go high on both of them, and both goalies are getting exposed big time.

Sure we have had some defensive lapses, but the goaltending has been extremely inconsistent. Paps paid a hefty price for Purboo and it looks bad right now.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
drafting Ukko doesn't seem to get credit, as soon there is a problem with the goaltending jump over him. Two drafts ago he drafted I think 4 goalies to improve the depth to the organization. To say he hasn't think outside the box, he picked up Mario Culina, who was playing at Ryerson. I have total faith in Papineau, lets see how it plays out before you bury him.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
I hope one of Purboo or Weeks prove us all wrong. We need it big time

Goalie is a thankless position. Toughest position in hockey

We were extremely spoiled with Ukko last season. He was a pro level goalie playing against juniors

I did enjoy reading those Ukko pipe dreams of him returning

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
drafting Ukko doesn't seem to get credit, as soon there is a problem with the goaltending jump over him. Two drafts ago he drafted I think 4 goalies to improve the depth to the organization. To say he hasn't think outside the box, he picked up Mario Culina, who was playing at Ryerson. I have total faith in Papineau, lets see how it plays out before you bury him.
There has been more blunders and panic moves rather than focusing on improving the line up when the chance presents itself. If we stand the chance in losing Byfield after this season what is the plan for Sudbury? I still don't think our management knows what way they want to go in this season. And with the overpayment on Purboo I'm not sure he can get this team where they need to beat Oshawa, Ottawa, and the improving Petes, Rangers etc... I really believe our defence does not have a true shut down guy who can be that leader back there. I think the Carson overage spot can be improved on with a scorer and we can acquire another 19 year old to replace the grit and leadership that Carson brings. Someone like Whittaker, Canade, Trott, Bitten, Katic, Bignell, Doherty, Moncada etc... Find another import to come in and make an impact. As the season progresses we see trends and its not looking good for Sudbury. Teams focus in on Byfield and it makes it tougher on Sudbury to generate offence on that line. I really believe our top two lines are not going to win a Championship it needs help, as does our defence and the obvious goaltending.

WJ

member 236327

UPL was the best and the worst thing that could of happened to this team. He made an average team look much better than they were last year, which now has everyone pissed off about their current goalie situation. At the end of the day, it's the OHL, there are going to be high scoring games you win or lose no matter what team you follow. Gotta remember that they are 1st in the Central, with the goalies they have... and we're only what, 10/11 games in ?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
There has been more blunders and panic moves rather than focusing on improving the line up when the chance presents itself. If we stand the chance in losing Byfield after this season what is the plan for Sudbury? I still don't think our management knows what way they want to go in this season. And with the overpayment on Purboo I'm not sure he can get this team where they need to beat Oshawa, Ottawa, and the improving Petes, Rangers etc... I really believe our defence does not have a true shut down guy who can be that leader back there. I think the Carson overage spot can be improved on with a scorer and we can acquire another 19 year old to replace the grit and leadership that Carson brings. Someone like Whittaker, Canade, Trott, Bitten, Katic, Bignell, Doherty, Moncada etc... Find another import to come in and make an impact. As the season progresses we see trends and its not looking good for Sudbury. Teams focus in on Byfield and it makes it tougher on Sudbury to generate offence on that line. I really believe our top two lines are not going to win a Championship it needs help, as does our defence and the obvious goaltending.

WJ

We are 10 games in, and first place in the Central Division and 2nd place in the Conference, with the goaltending we have. Still some time for tweaking the roster. OHL rosters have just been confirmed, there is not going to be a lot of movement from the start because everyone wants to see how team will play out. I see this team going all in January trade deadline in my opinion, knowing Byfield quite possibly won't return. I still see it playing out well for the Wolves this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad