Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It is not out of the question to ice three but only if they are BETTER. If they aren't and you keep them, then they get rotated in and sit more then they are used to. Especially if you want to win. Players that have never sat go crazy, their parents can't handle it,etc. A kid playing Junior A gets played and the reality of these kids is they will drop everything when called up. Your logistics arguement doesn't wash. You do put a lot of time into your posts but as you said it really doesn't show anything. I do agree that the last two drafts have been better but if you don't start winning you will not get players. This year it is crucial to make playoffs. Winning teams are NOT doing it with youth.
I’ll be shocked if we don’t finish as at least the seventh seed. This team is good, we have forward depth, we have a good goalie, we have some good D but that’s probably our weakness. Winning teams have a cycle, and Sudbury needs one. That’s all my point is, is tgat we have equal players, and this team is a little too old. Regardless both sides are empty until camp when we see everyone, but I think you’ll see older players cut for some youth.

Lefthander

Apr 3, 2017
I’ll be shocked if we don’t finish as at least the seventh seed. This team is good, we have forward depth, we have a good goalie, we have some good D but that’s probably our weakness. Winning teams have a cycle, and Sudbury needs one. That’s all my point is, is tgat we have equal players, and this team is a little too old. Regardless both sides are empty until camp when we see everyone, but I think you’ll see older players cut for some youth.
How do you know these players are equal when they haven't played a game of major junior? The Pilons didn't even start until they were 18 years old and had no more points than the 17 year olds last year. It doesn't make sense to me what you are saying.

Reactions: hockieguy

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
How do you know these players are equal when they haven't played a game of major junior? The Pilons didn't even start until they were 18 years old and had no more points than the 17 year olds last year. It doesn't make sense to me what you are saying.
I’m assuming, is that’s not the fun in mock rosters? Everything is hypothetical right now. If someone is better then they play, I’ve said that, but if someone is equal then you play them. We don’t know until training camp, I believe I’ve stated that, however by this logic, Byfield may not be equal to Gilhula. It’s all judgement and hypotheticals. HockeyHell does make great points, it’s just different philosophies. Ride the old wave or inject some youth. I’m not discrediting (or trying to) anyone’s ideas, I’m just sharing how I’d rather see the team built. In my eyes, Butler looked equal to what Gilhula can bring, when we saw him post draft. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong and I won’t be afraid to say it. I was wrong about how good Siau was last year, I would have given him a spot. What I can’t understand is the negativity towards youth when we finally have good talent, which we’d been starving for. The league is trending towards speed and we have that with the younger players in my eyes. It’s just one opinion, it isn’t necessarily the right one, but it’s mine.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I’m assuming, is that’s not the fun in mock rosters? Everything is hypothetical right now. If someone is better then they play, I’ve said that, but if someone is equal then you play them. We don’t know until training camp, I believe I’ve stated that, however by this logic, Byfield may not be equal to Gilhula. It’s all judgement and hypotheticals. HockeyHell does make great points, it’s just different philosophies. Ride the old wave or inject some youth. I’m not discrediting (or trying to) anyone’s ideas, I’m just sharing how I’d rather see the team built. In my eyes, Butler looked equal to what Gilhula can bring, when we saw him post draft. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong and I won’t be afraid to say it. I was wrong about how good Siau was last year, I would have given him a spot. What I can’t understand is the negativity towards youth when we finally have good talent, which we’d been starving for. The league is trending towards speed and we have that with the younger players in my eyes. It’s just one opinion, it isn’t necessarily the right one, but it’s mine.

I agree, I enjoy reading you're posts, keep it up. Everyone will have a different opinion on the team final roster, as long everyone respects everyone opinion shouldn't be an issue.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

The wolves forum always seem to have melcontents. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: SebJHockey

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The wolves forum always seem to have melcontents. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. They're not even being malcontents really, I mean some of he Windosr and London posters are really negative. they have a different opinion and I can value that. Like Cub said, as long as we can respect the others opinion I don't really see too much of a problem. I like the debates, gives the board some life and gives me some ideas to think about.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
what I like we have alot of options especially by trade mainly if we move Levin and McGrath, we should get decent return in helping on the backend on Defence. I think Papineau will make some moves soon before season starts.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
what I like we have alot of options especially by trade mainly if we move Levin and McGrath, we should get decent return in helping on the backend on Defence. I think Papineau will make some moves soon before season starts.
I'd like one forward (Pending Levin trade (two way C or skilled RW)) and 2 D (one top 3 and one 3-5). Maybe moves coming after the long weekend?

Reactions: WolvesFan and cub

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Just wondering if part of the condition of our import coming to the Wolves is that they go out and get a true goalie coach?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Just wondering if part of the condition of our import coming to the Wolves is that they go out and get a true goalie coach?

I agree, hope so, need a full-time goalie coach not part-time.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Does this Lodnia deal affect what we could get for Levin? He went for Singer and a 5th. That seems ridiculously cheap to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I just worry how that could affect the market.

Also is there anyone that may be able to comment on this: I heard yesterday that there is something at some point that will be done in connection to our Culina trade with Kitchener. As in, we're expected to still be acquiring something from Kitchener, maybe at a price far below market value. I was told this came from someone within the organization however I can't see it making too much sense, but I know some people here have more information from credible people typically. Not a rumour more a question I'm asking.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I agree the Lodnia deal will now set the bar if we trade Levin. Lodnia is drafted and signed from Minnesota, I be happy if we get a good Defenceman and a draft pick at best.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Does this Lodnia deal affect what we could get for Levin? He went for Singer and a 5th. That seems ridiculously cheap to me. Maybe I'm wrong. I just worry how that could affect the market.

Also is there anyone that may be able to comment on this: I heard yesterday that there is something at some point that will be done in connection to our Culina trade with Kitchener. As in, we're expected to still be acquiring something from Kitchener, maybe at a price far below market value. I was told this came from someone within the organization however I can't see it making too much sense, but I know some people here have more information from credible people typically. Not a rumour more a question I'm asking.

Kitchener currently has 6 very capable defence and are still looking to sign their import pick. Not sure what ur guys OA situation looks like but if you have room for one more, Kyle Gentles would be a likely return in any sort of trade along with picks. If not i could also see it being Jack York

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Kitchener currently has 6 very capable defence and are still looking to sign their import pick. Not sure what ur guys OA situation looks like but if you have room for one more, Kyle Gentles would be a likely return in any sort of trade along with picks. If not i could also see it being Jack York
Thanks, like I said not sure how good the info was but i was wondering if someone’s had something to add. Right now we have 3 OA’s.

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario

I don't think it would affect other potential deals (including Levin). According to reports from Erie news, there GM was given two teams that Lodnia would report to. Niagara was one of them. Unless Levin demands a trade, limits the teams he'd go to and the Wolves accepted the deal it shouldn't affect other players values. It's like when Bracco was traded and Kitchener got far less than market value because he supposedly said he'd only go to Windsor, or something along those lines.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Lots of excitement here about some new necessary talent up front and in goal. The defence corps are still a nightmare and it is necessary to get another older top 4 defenceman or else the other upgrades won't matter.

Reactions: hockieguy

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Lots of excitement here about some new necessary talent up front and in goal. The defence corps are still a nightmare and it is necessary to get another older top 4 defenceman or else the other upgrades won't matter.
Agree 100% I would like two OA in the back but understand if Pilons are up front then that can't happen. On the plus side the Pilons play both ends of the ice aggressively.

Reactions: WolvesFan

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
The Pilons are worth the price of admission alone. I love watching the opposition with their heads on a swivel whenever the Pilons are on the ice.
With the new acquisitions im very anxious for the season to start.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The silence is frustrating. I’m dying for a move before camp. I wish there were more rumours floating around about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad