Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
From what I have read about the situation, he would be a third string goalie in Finland. OHL makes more sense if this is the case. A stronger argument can be made for him staying if he was a starter, even a backup, but if he is in fact going to be the third string goalie then I believe he will be heading to Sudbury.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The only problem is that you would be competing with a great pro league in the Liiga, where he would make a real salary, play against men, and would be playing in his home country. He'd also get a lot of games there. It's usually a tough bet to convince guys who are good enough to play in a pro league to play in the OHL. The only real benefit he'd get is being close to Buffalo (ish) and the smaller ice surface, but then you wonder why Buffalo would not just make room for him on their ECHL team or something?

It's up to the team, because if Luukonen had his choice, he'd probably select the Liiga. Since he is under contract with Buffalo already, it's up to them to choose where they want to put him though.

Yes great points, my understanding in the Liiga he would be backup goalie not playing much being a younger guy. Thats why I think it comes to money to compensate what he may lose if playing int the Liiga. You can say that with alot of these import goalies, they can play in home league and make some cash, and but some will still come to play in the OHL for they're development.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If Luokkonen comes, where would he rank in terms of OHL goalies? Right behind Dipietro or farther back?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
you would think he's up there with him.
That's great news for us, do you think we trade McGrath then or ride him as back up in case? I'd like to give Lemaire a few games this year aswell.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
That's great news for us, do you think we trade McGrath then or ride him as back up in case? I'd like to give Lemaire a few games this year aswell.

I think if Ukko comes McGrath may want to be moved.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Great news!!!!!!!!

Ben Leeson:

Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has committed to the Sudbury Wolves. Buffalo Sabres' second-round pick in 2017 NHL Entry Draft was Sudbury's third-overall choice in the CHL Import Draft at the end of June. Full story to come

Reactions: hockeynorth

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Djn8_iiVsAAWoRQ.jpg

Reactions: nelli27

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Great news!!!!!!!!

Ben Leeson:

Goaltender Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen has committed to the Sudbury Wolves. Buffalo Sabres' second-round pick in 2017 NHL Entry Draft was Sudbury's third-overall choice in the CHL Import Draft at the end of June. Full story to come

Awesome news. When was the last time we went into a season knowing we had a top tier junior goaltender?

Reactions: justawolfan and cub

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Great news!!!!!!!!

Ben Leeson:

Told you cubby!!

Reactions: cub

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Woohoo!!! Now this season is looking real bright. I want to see them skate out of the big wolf head again, like the good ol days.

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Woohoo!!! Now this season is looking real bright. I want to see them skate out of the big wolf head again, like the good ol days.

yes totally stoked for this, it was one of our bigger weaknesses. Hopefully few more pieces on defence now.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
yes totally stoked for this, it was one of our bigger weaknesses. Hopefully few more pieces on defence now.
Agreed, and we’re bound to see a move in the crease with Bowen, Frappier and McGrath all in their as option, plus our 1oa u18 and Lemaire

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Agreed, and we’re bound to see a move in the crease with Bowen, Frappier and McGrath all in their as option, plus our 1oa u18 and Lemaire

My guess is McGrath could go home and play in Mississauga after they traded Vella. They need another goalie who can handle a good number of games since Ingham is far from a sure bet based on last season.

Frappier is likely the backup. The rest go back to Jr. B and challenge to get ice time once UPL leaves for the WJC (you will need a #3 goalie).

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
My guess is McGrath could go home and play in Mississauga after they traded Vella. They need another goalie who can handle a good number of games since Ingham is far from a sure bet based on last season.

Frappier is likely the backup. The rest go back to Jr. B and challenge to get ice time once UPL leaves for the WJC (you will need a #3 goalie).
I’m hoping we give Lemaire a shot at that point, I can see Bowen giving Frappier a bit of a fight though. He played good IMO.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I’m hoping we give Lemaire a shot at that point, I can see Bowen giving Frappier a bit of a fight though. He played good IMO.

Good points Id give Bowen the nod right now. Let's see what kind of fight Frappier has come camp. McGrath is done as a wolf in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad