Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I think there is still work in getting Ukko, or he would of signed by now, some other teams have signed they're import picks already. I think we can get something for McGrath, he has some value.

Reactions: hockeynorth

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Just reading some of the other boards. London seems to relish their last fleecing of Sudbury. Hopefully we have learned from the past.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Trade window opens Wednesday, any news on our front?

Out of curiosity, could we be in on Wilde?

Edit: we're rumoured to be in on Grondin out of Saginaw, if a deal isn't done already.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Not sure how that trade would make any sense. Would have to know more.
This is my thinking, though our C depth would be lethal with Murray, Byfield, Grondin, Bulitka as our 4, or Murray, Byfield, Levin, Bulitka. My guess is there is either another move corresponding to it (moving the likes of Gilhula, Bulitka, Baker etc), Levin has been dealt and we wanted a young forward brought in, or, and this is the most likely to me, it is part of a bigger deal, perhaps around one of their D. The same poster said Wilde is going to be in Saginaw so they would need to move a D, so I could see the deal being something like Levin + for Grondin and Webb/Davis/Everett. I don't know how credible the poster is however his other rumours were reasonable so I thought I'd share it as it's the only thing I'd heard anywhere at all. Grondin does seem like the type of player we've seen Papineau make moves for in the past (young with upside but maybe on the outs or in need of a fresh start (Niz/Stratis/Culina)). If nothing else it's something to keep an eye on.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I like idea acquiring Grodin, we are deep down the middle. With regards to Levin, I can see him having a big season this year, I have heard rumours of trading him as-well, should get a decent return if moved.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I like idea acquiring Grodin, we are deep down the middle. With regards to Levin, I can see him having a big season this year, I have heard rumours have trading him as-well, should get a decent return if moved.
Thanks Cub, I"m really conflicted as to whether I want Levin gone for the haul and the restart in the culture, or keep him for the chance of a breakout. Grondin has been an ideal target of mine but I want a D more.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I guess I was expecting to see the backend being the focus. This is all rumour and the process is just beginning. I will hold judgement til I see who they are moving.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The euro draft is another way to help your hockey team win games but this waiting game is something I'm not a fan of.

They should have a clear list who is willing to come over and play instead of again, this waiting game.

I agree, there should be a list of imports willing to enter this import draft, if not just forget about participating.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I would bet the house that buffalo wants him to play in the OHL as they would want to monitor his development and adjustment to North America.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
any word on a starting date on the new arena?

if all goes well 2020 is for completion. Right now there is a small group that oppose it, and it has gone to LPAT, could be delays, according to City they are proceeding as planned, shovels in ground soon I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would bet the house that buffalo wants him to play in the OHL as they would want to monitor his development and adjustment to North America.

I do not know whether they will be this petty, but that may depend upon how good of a team they feel Sudbury will be next year. They will probably want to send him to a team that will benefit his development, and if they feel like Sudbury is not going to benefit his development (in other words, they are not a good enough team), they may decide to keep him in Europe next year.

If you get him though, you can build from the net out. You'd have Byfield, Murray and hopefully guys like Levin and Nizhinikov providing up front. Maybe another addition or two there as well. It's defense that would need to be the primary focus.

Reactions: cub and justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I do not know whether they will be this petty, but that may depend upon how good of a team they feel Sudbury will be next year. They will probably want to send him to a team that will benefit his development, and if they feel like Sudbury is not going to benefit his development (in other words, they are not a good enough team), they may decide to keep him in Europe next year.

If you get him though, you can build from the net out. You'd have Byfield, Murray and hopefully guys like Levin and Nizhinikov providing up front. Maybe another addition or two there as well. It's defense that would need to be the primary focus.

You would think he would benefit coming to the Wolves, play alot and will definitely be challenged for him playing on smaller ice. Getting used to the culture, best junior league in the world in the OHL in helping him getting ready for the NHL.

I don't have a good feeling on this from what I have been reading and hearing. It might come to $$$$$$ for him to come, will see there is some time and work to do.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Hi cub; after reading through this thread recently I agree with you for sure.
But if what you say at the end, "it might come to $$$$$$ for him to come" is true, isn't that "cheating" the system? I get that it happens but is it not ridiculous that some of these players/families/agents might just demand the almighty $$ to actually make them commit to come to North America to play hockey? It's also apparent that when we see "top end" European talent selected and report to certain teams year after year, these teams are the ones that are most willing to pay the big $$ to get them here. We can say it isn't "cheating" all we want but you know what, it really is!!! When $$ is dished out to "convince" a kid to report, I'm sorry that just STINKS in my books...

Reactions: cub

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Hi cub; after reading through this thread recently I agree with you for sure.
But if what you say at the end, "it might come to $$$$$$ for him to come" is true, isn't that "cheating" the system? I get that it happens but is it not ridiculous that some of these players/families/agents might just demand the almighty $$ to actually make them commit to come to North America to play hockey? It's also apparent that when we see "top end" European talent selected and report to certain teams year after year, these teams are the ones that are most willing to pay the big $$ to get them here. We can say it isn't "cheating" all we want but you know what, it really is!!! When $$ is dished out to "convince" a kid to report, I'm sorry that just STINKS in my books...

I totally agree, I believe it happens in some kind of form monetarily, its been rumoured business as usual with Import picks.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
You would think he would benefit coming to the Wolves, play alot and will definitely be challenged for him playing on smaller ice. Getting used to the culture, best junior league in the world in the OHL in helping him getting ready for the NHL.

I don't have a good feeling on this from what I have been reading and hearing. It might come to $$$$$$ for him to come, will see there is some time and work to do.

He would have to come to North America anyway if he's to play in the N.H.L.

Probably deciding if he would like to play in Sudbury. At the end of the day I believe he will play for the wolves. The crease will be his for the entire year. Its in his best interest.

Reactions: hockeynorth and cub

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The only problem is that you would be competing with a great pro league in the Liiga, where he would make a real salary, play against men, and would be playing in his home country. He'd also get a lot of games there. It's usually a tough bet to convince guys who are good enough to play in a pro league to play in the OHL. The only real benefit he'd get is being close to Buffalo (ish) and the smaller ice surface, but then you wonder why Buffalo would not just make room for him on their ECHL team or something?

It's up to the team, because if Luukonen had his choice, he'd probably select the Liiga. Since he is under contract with Buffalo already, it's up to them to choose where they want to put him though.

Reactions: cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->